Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Militant "Mickey Mouse" Finally Pulled Off Air

Militant "Mickey Mouse" Finally Pulled Off Air

May 9, 2007

Hamas Militants finally suspended a children's television program in Palestine aimed at inciting global Islamic domination using a character that appeared to look and sound like "Mickey Mouse." Diane Disney-Miller has voiced being appalled by the figure. Palestinian Information Minister said that it was a "mistaken approach" to the struggle against Israeli occupation.

Neither the Walt Disney Company nor the Palestinian Broadcasting Corporation has commented.

This story is featured at the AP at Yahoo.com
    Last edited by Disneyphile; 05-09-2007 at 02:32 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

Re: Militant "Mickey Mouse" Finally Pulled Off Air

I saw this yesterday on the news and was appalled myself. I am so glad that this has been taken off the air. It even upset my children and they didn't even know what it was about. I wondered at the time if Disney would do anything about it.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Diva View Post
    I saw this yesterday on the news and was appalled myself. I am so glad that this has been taken off the air. It even upset my children and they didn't even know what it was about. I wondered at the time if Disney would do anything about it.
    I don't know if they can... Because it was technically used for what could be argued as "educational" setting and purpose - dispite it's political overtones... There is a "Fair Use" precident in common law regarding domestic and international copywrites... However this sort of thing does get challenged from time to time because it is common law...
    Check out my other blog:

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    I don't know if they can... Because it was technically used for what could be argued as "educational" setting and purpose - dispite it's political overtones... There is a "Fair Use" precident in common law regarding domestic and international copywrites... However this sort of thing does get challenged from time to time because it is common law...
    What???? We are talking about copyrights and/or trademarks in Palestine. There is no such thing as international copyright, or even international common law, for that matter. Each country has its own statutory (not common) law on copyrights.

"Fair Use" has to do with copyrights and/or copyright infringement IN THE UNITED STATES. It is embodied in the 1978 Copyright Act passed by the United States Congress, and last I checked, Congress and the laws of the U.S. don't have diddly s**t authority in Palestine.

There are various countries that the US has various treaties with re: copyright, and Palestine is not one of them.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38a.html

So no, Disney probably can't do squat to enforce Mickey Mouse being used under those circumstances unless it was being shown in the US or in another country where there is some reciprocal copyright.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Thanks for the clarification.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    "Fair Use" has to do with copyrights and/or copyright infringement IN THE UNITED STATES. It is embodied in the 1978 Copyright Act passed by the United States Congress, and last I checked, Congress and the laws of the U.S. don't have diddly s**t authority in Palestine.
    Not really... The common law decision for fair use originated the English Courts... It was originally called "Fair Abridgement" and stemmed from the United Kingdom's Statute of Anne... You should know that...Because of this it is copywright laws are some of the most widely held laws on the books... And I would even suggest it is true in Palastine... Of course it wouldn't matter, now would it?

Now of course the Disney Company (being a part of the Dow) and the Disney Family (Through Shamrock's Israel's Private Equity Fund, the largest in the country) could have a HEAVY influence on Israeli policy if it so chose...

I really don't think it is intellegent to play hard ball with Disney like this. Paricularly when they are so heavily invested in the area...
    Last edited by cellarhound; 05-09-2007 at 07:26 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

I don't think disney had much to do with it but I think the state department really didn't like an icon being used in such a way and hamas is trying hard behind the scenes to get american aid again as well as the minority members of the palestinian government. This was one branch of hamas not really knowing what the other branch was doing. and actually I think the idea that they were recruiting children was worse than the fact they were using a mouse to do it.

• DCA lover

• Earth Intruder

Not really... The common law decision for fair use originated the English Courts... It was originally called "Fair Abridgement" and stemmed from the United Kingdom's Statute of Anne... You should know that...Because of this it is copywright laws are some of the most widely held laws on the books... And I would even suggest it is true in Palastine... Of course it wouldn't matter, now would it?
    OK you are totally wrong here.

From the U.S. Copyright's office office lips to your ears: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl100.html

What you were talking about before was Fair Use under Copyright as international common law, and "international common law" does not exist. Yes, there are "Fair Use" type STATUTES (not COMMON LAW.... common law is JUDGE MADE LAW) in other countries, and some of those have policies similar to (or reciprocal with) that of the U.S., but that does not make any of it common law. Sure, the U.S. concept may have stemmed from a precedent in England, but that doesn't make it common law. The Copyright Act of 1978 makes it statutory law (which itself stems from the U.S. Constitution).

And your last statement in here makes no sense...."I really don't think it is intellegent to play hard ball with Disney like this. Paricularly when they are so heavily invested in the area..." -- What, they shouldn't play hardball to Palestinian terrorism? Disney is heavily invested in Palestine? Since when?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

•   
    • Minion

What, they shouldn't play hardball to Palestinian terrorism? Disney is heavily invested in Palestine? Since when?

Shamrock Holdings Israel Private Equity Fund.

Established in the mid 80's, is the largest private equity fund of foriegn investors in Israel... Headed by Stanley Gold and essencially owned by Roy Disney.

Technically Israel and Palastine currently share mutual boarders as the West Bank, Gasa Strip, and even parts of Jeruselem remain desputed terratories despite the efforts of Palastine to become independant.

I won't go further into geo politics, Chernabog... If you would like to discuss this matter further we could take it to the debate forum.
    Check out my other blog:

• Inhospitable about happy

Surprise, surprise. They lied.

HAMAS Mickey Mouse is STILL on the air.

http://www.metimes.com/storyview.php...0-082538-3237r

• Earth Intruder

I won't go further into geo politics, Chernabog... If you would like to discuss this matter further we could take it to the debate forum.
    Giving money to Israel, or investing in Israel, is not the same as investing in Palestine. In fact, the two states are completely at loggerheads with each other. Stan and Roy did not invest in terrorism, Hamas, or any of the other concepts being taught by Terrorist Mouse.

We can take this to Gold if you'd like hehe

•   
    • Minion

Giving money to Israel, or investing in Israel, is not the same as investing in Palestine. In fact, the two states are completely at loggerheads with each other. Stan and Roy did not invest in terrorism, Hamas, or any of the other concepts being taught by Terrorist Mouse.

We can take this to Gold if you'd like hehe
    I NEVER said that he did... Let's take this to Debate, please, thank you...
    Check out my other blog:

• Inhospitable about happy

More Mickey Mouse abuse in the same vein:

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070510/p.../080601mideast

Palestinian children stand in front of a mural depicting Mickey Mouse as they holdi Islamic and Palestinian flags in the West Bank village of Hawara, south of Nablus, in 2006. A Hamas-run television station defied Israel and the Palestinian government on Thursday by refusing to axe a controversial children's puppet show in which a Mickey Mouse lookalike calls for resistance.(AFP/File/Menahem Kahana)

• DCA lover

Hey, maybe if Disney invites a bunch of Palestinian kids to Disneyland, they will meet their beloved "Farfour" there and realize that America is the best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast