• Circle of Ancients

Six Flags 1Q revenue up 20%

http://investors.sixflags.com/phoeni...8164&highlight

Six Flags announced yesterday that their 1st quarter revenue for 2007 were up 20% despite having 10% less operational days than 2006.

Revenue from continuing operations for the quarter improved 20% to $50.7 million compared to $42.1 million in the prior-year period. The increase was driven by a 13% increase in total revenue per capita and a 6% increase in attendance, compared to the prior year.

Of course, this is not counting in the operations from 8 parks that were sold or closed in the last year including parks in Buffalo, New York; Columbus, Ohio; Concord, California; Denver, Colorado; Houston, Texas; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Sacramento, California; and Seattle, Washington. These parks were failing anyway, and not counting them in attendance figures could only boost the percentages.

Why they factored in Astroworld's (Houston) attendance for 2006 is a mystery since the park closed in September of 2005.

The chain also announced on their Q1 conference call that the "Metro" attraction at Six Flags Magic Mountain will be operational by the end of the year. They also announced that a Wiggles World or Thomas Town themed area would not be coming to the Valencia, CA park.

The question is why? Isn't this what this park in particular needs to be more family friendly?
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 05-10-2007 at 01:22 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Six Flags 1Q earnings up 20%

Wiggles are winding down aren't they? The loss of one of the leads is going to be a serious speed bump for them as well.

Thomas I think has peaked as well.

Maybe the franchises aren't as fresh as they need? Dunno.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Not sure about that. They added Thomas to the Vallejo park this year and Wiggles to a couple of parks back east.

Personally, anything that gives the park more family attractions is a good thing.

• Pilot EdForceOne

maybe the wiggles colors conflict with gang colors??

ok.. couldn't help myself

• Rock Star Minion

Thread title is misleading.
    Revenues are up 20%.
    Loss is down 29% (that's good).

But it's all cyclical. I see $50 mil revenue vs $129 mil operating expenses, and that's a recipe for disaster.
    However, $50 mil revenue is supposedly about 5% of total annual revenue. So, $1 BILLION in annual revenue is expected?
    Bigger question then is, how much do operating expenses increase in the other quarters?
    Last edited by sediment; 05-10-2007 at 01:33 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Six Flags 1Q revenue up 20%

Aren't most of their parks seasonal? Or a good majority? I would expect that to be a major factor in revenues and op expenses in coming quarters

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Aren't most of their parks seasonal? Or a good majority? I would expect that to be a major factor in revenues and op expenses in coming quarters
    The link stated that 5% of annual revenues come from the first quarter. No mention of a percentage of annual expenses. In order for SF to have positive net income, the first Q's expenses as a percentage of annual expenses needs to be somewhere around 16%. Not unreasonable, since it is likely that most of the expenses are dependent on the same variables that increase revenue. And that 1Q expenses are more fixed expenses, independent of increases in revenue. One hopes, if one is a shareholder.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I'm just excited that the Metro is coming back! A trip to Six Flags by Disneyland fans is always a hilarious adventure into the truly horrifying and dismaying. I can only imagine what Six Flags newly refurbished monorail ride will be like compared to Disneyland's newly refurbished monorail ride.

I can't wait to ride the Metro again!

• Goofy

thats good for six flags the most extreme theme park.

• Sock Puppet

Lets just say the only place in california that celebrates BEANS!

My beagles name is wiggles.

• Goofy

hmm?

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Not sure about that. They added Thomas to the Vallejo park this year and Wiggles to a couple of parks back east.

Personally, anything that gives the park more family attractions is a good thing.
    Thomas opens in Vallejo Memorial Day Weekend... And from what ive seen by the way kids are trying to peek through the fence, many kids are anxiously waiting....my 3 year old included...
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Circle of Ancients

^ Yeah, and SFDK already had more kids rides than SFMM does. I can't fathom why they wouldn't bring a new kids land to the park. Especially considering Psyclone is now gone and they have PLENTY of room.

Unless they have something else up their sleeve ... which I HIGHLY doubt.

And I don't say this as somebody who would use a Thomas or Wiggles land, since my kids are WAY beyond that target demo. I just can see what the park needs, and I'm afraid they will just add another coaster.

• Minion

I think they are spending money on other things besides coasters right now. I think that the emphasis is on family rather than just coasters now, so more along the lines of themeing and attractions that go towards longer family stays rather than getting more teens excited about another coaster.