• Drunk On Disney

Talking Remember the MYSTERY DATE board game? Now there is a High School Musical version..

A few years ago I was watching a Simpson's re-run.

It was the one where the family goes to Ned Flanders' beach house and Lisa meets some "cool kids" and for a few weeks SHE is cool and Bart is the unpopular Simpson kid.

In one of the scenes Homer, Marge, Bart and Milhaus all play (the only board game the could find in the house) Mystery Date.

The scene featured this memorable exchange:

Marge:
    Come on Homer. Open the door for your mystery date.

Homer:
    Ooh, captain of the football team. He's a dream boat. Don't wait up Marge...

As a board game fan I checked eBay and found that Mystery Date was indeed a real (and very popular) game from the 1960s.

Here is a write up from boardgamegeek.com

A large white door located in the centre of the board has five 'dates' waiting inside. Depending on how the doorknob is rotated, a different guy will 'appear' when the door is opened.
    Players try to collect a set of four cards. Each set of four cards corresponds to one of the 'dates' hidden behind the door (apart from the infamous 'dud').
    Gameplay is determined by the instructions on the square a particular player lands on. Cards may be taken from the draw or discard pile, or from other players. When a player holds a correct set of four cards and lands on an 'open door' square the door is opened, revealing the date.
    If the cards do not correspond to the date, the player's turn ends but their set of cards are retained. If the 'dud' date is revealed, all cards held by the player are lost and replaced with a fresh set from the draw pile.
    If the correct date appears when the door is opened the game is over and the player opening the door wins the game.
    This game was first released in a white box in 1965 and had a 'groovy' upgrade in the early seventies with new artwork.
    Well, this weekend I got to try the brand new High School Musical edition of the classic board game (on sale at Target for $15.)

As far as I can tell from photos, the layout of the board and the gameplay is the same.

You choose a playing piece (all female) and you go around the board trying to collect 3 matching outfit cards. Once you get (for example) your "skating outfit" you must land on the "open the door" space and hope that you open it to reveal your skating date.

The door is cleverly designed to open to a different date at random due to the shapes of the "date cards" and how they correspond to the turn of the door knob.

The "dud" is a female school administrator with the words "detention" on the card.

If you open the door to find her, you lose your outfit (no... you don't have to play naked) and lose a turn.

I was a bit surprised that they didn't try to change the game too much. I always thought the concept was a bit dated and verged on being sexist.

So, does anyone here remember the old Mystery Date?

Has anyone tried the new one?
    Last edited by Guy Hutchinson; 05-14-2007 at 06:39 AM. Reason: typo

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• SpitSpot!

Re: Remember the MYSTERY DATE board game? Now there is a High School Musical version.

I OWNED a Mystery date game. Suitable for slumber parties
    I am sure my daughter will want the High School Musical version. So once again a full circle moment
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Remember the MYSTERY DATE board game? Now there is a High School Musical version.

You didn't know Mystery Date was a real game? I remember playing the 80's version when I was a kid!

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    You didn't know Mystery Date was a real game? I remember playing the 80's version when I was a kid!
    Sorry!

Maybe I was just too busy torturing rats with a hacksaw and pulling the wings off of flies.

• Oh my Goodness!

My mom and my aunt had the original Mystery Date game - and I remember my cousins and I playing it when we were kids! Wonder where that ever ended up...

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by cpdisneyprincess View Post
    My mom and my aunt had the original Mystery Date game - and I remember my cousins and I playing it when we were kids! Wonder where that ever ended up...
    It might be worth some $$$! There is one on eBay now with 7 bids for over $45.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Milton-Bradley-M...QQcmdZViewItem

It's not enough to retire on, but it would buy a pretty good dinner.

The price/demand seems to have dropped a bit. Possibly the new game is a decent alternative for game players!

• Minion

Ooo, the Mystery Date game! Sure I used to play that with my next door neighbor, who happened to be my best friend. I'm sure we played the original 1965 version. Wasn't the dud's name Poindexter?
    I want my cake back!

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

My aunt had it so I made my brother play it with me all the time at her house... he probably still holds a grudge against me for it.
    While HSM drives me crazy it is an interesting idea. I like that they did get a little PC and took out the nerd cause you know "We're all in this together" and people don't have to stay in cliques and "Stick to the Status Quo" Okay... somebody stop me now