The Biz: Aly & AJ & Kraft & Target

May 07, 2007

IF you're over 16 or so, you probably haven't heard of the singing pop sister duo Aly & AJ, but Kraft and Target already have and are featuring the teen phenoms in upcoming promotions.

Kraft's Post Honeycomb cereal brand late last month rolled out a promo themed "Big Summer of Fun" that features the two on seven million boxes advertising a contest dangling the chance to see A&A in a private concert in Orlando, Fla.

The Honeycomb promotion will receive TV support and a radio buy in 15 markets. Rob Souriall, vp-strategic marketing and promotion for A&A's label, Hollywood Records, said cereal boxes are a somewhat unusual way to promote music acts.

"It's kind of nontraditional for the record industry," he said. "But I have kids myself and I see the way they read the boxes and soak the information in. And if there's a contest, oh my God."

At the end of the summer, A&A will also launch exclusive merchandise through retailer Target. The activity comes as the group plans to release a new CD on July 10 and will star in an MTV movie called My Super Sweet Sixteen on July 7 that's based on the reality series of the same name. The group's initial album, Into the Rush, sold 700,000 units and netted 300,000 digital track downloads.
http://www.brandweek.com/bw/magazine..._id=1003581328