• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

The 'Tintin' Trilogy ...FINALLY!

Spielberg, Jackson team for Tintin
    Duo pact for adventure trilogy

By ANNE THOMPSON, PAMELA MCCLINTOCK
    Variety
    Posted: Mon., May 14, 2007, 8:21pm PT

Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson are teaming to direct and produce three back-to-back features based on Georges Remi's beloved Belgian comic-strip hero Tintin for DreamWorks. Pics will be produced in full digital 3-D using performance capture technology.

The two filmmakers will each direct at least one of the movies; studio wouldn't say which director would helm the third. Kathleen Kennedy joins Spielberg and Jackson as a producer on the three films, which might be released through DreamWorks Animation.

Tintin has long been a passion project for Spielberg; he and Kennedy have held various film rights to the comedic adventure book series off and on for more than 25 years. With the rights in place, Spielberg, Jackson and DreamWorks began quietly developing the project. Jackson has also long been a fan of the comic books.

Jackson's New Zealand-based WETA Digital, the f/x house behind "The Lord of the Rings" franchise, produced a 20-minute test reel bringing to life the characters created by Remi, who wrote under the pen name of Herge.
    "Herge's characters have been reborn as living beings, expressing emotion and a soul which goes far beyond anything we've seen to date with computer animated characters," Spielberg said.

"We want Tintin's adventures to have the reality of a live-action film, and yet Peter and I felt that shooting them in a traditional live-action format would simply not honor the distinctive look of the characters and world that Herge created," Spielberg continued.
    http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...117964927&cs=1
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Most everyone's mad, here

Re: The 'Tintin' Trilogy ...FINALLY!

I'm really looking forward to this trilogy. I never read the comics, but I loved watching the animated series as a kid on Nickelodeon. The fact that this will be animated is a relief to me since the comics/animated series had such a distinct retro look that just doesn't work in live-action. Having Jackson and Spielberg each directing the first two films makes me even more excited. Since they refuse to say who's directing the third (and presumably last) film, how much you want to bet it's going to be George Lucas? He and Spielberg are best friends, and Lucas certainly has had experience working with CGI. This could be a good experience for the guy; he needs to lay off the Star Wars franchise and try other things. I just hope he doesn't write the script...
    -Kelvin-
    A very merry unbirthday to you!