Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disney buying Disney Store back?

Ive been seeing here and there about some rumors surfacing about TWDC buying Disney Store back.I guess in the contract it had a clause that said Childrens Place had to revamp a certain amount of stores under a time line and they havent been doing this?

Just curious if anyone else heard anything like this???

• Shablagoo!

Re: Disney buying Disney Store back?

Nope, but I wouldn't mind as long as they improve the stores. My only concern is that the stores have been improving, I'd hate for them to lose that momentum.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Disney and The Children's Place have been in ongoing talks regarding the terms of a new licensing agreement. Disney has expressed dissatisfaction with the maintenance and appearance of some of the Disney Stores that TCP operates, which Disney claims is in violation of the original licensing agreement. Talks have been going on since February. No official announcement has been made on a resolution, or lack thereof.
    Last edited by disneytim; 05-18-2007 at 08:21 AM.

• Minion

The operation should be closed, keeping only huge, impressive World of Disney-like stores in key regional tourist markets at most.

Disney needs to be made special again. The K-Mart-ing of the brand has been bad for all of Disney's businesses in the long term. The Disney Store deal merely perpetuates the problem.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    The operation should be closed, keeping only huge, impressive World of Disney-like stores in key regional tourist markets at most.

Disney needs to be made special again. The K-Mart-ing of the brand has been bad for all of Disney's businesses in the long term. The Disney Store deal merely perpetuates the problem.
    I am not certain that they should...

"K-Mart-ing" of the brand happened when Disney abandoned the Disney Store as a concept all together in an effort to market products to large discounters such as WalMart, Target, K-Mart... Selling the equity of these stores to Child's Place became problematic at best..

I am uncertain that the original concept was bad idea at the time... Warner was doing it, and I thought they where better at presenting their products than Disney was... They even include telivision properties... (I loved my "Anamaniacs" mug...)

Child's Place likely is now limited to selling the same imports that large discounters have access to, but with a greater selection at one location.

World of Disney stores harkens back to the original concept... And it too has it's faults - particularly at the Anaheim Store... I mean really - it is impossable to find a certain video or book or costume or shirt - they do not carry extended sizes for larger adults (big and tall)... But if I need a mug with Tigger on it, I can find 5,000. They really should specialize to have everything, (including items from other parks around the world) but they don't.
    Check out my other blog:

Blog Entries

It would be nice. I stopped by one the other day hoping to get a cd for illuminations or something like that and they said they're not allowed to carry any park merchandise now that they're not owned by Disney.

• Minion

Either way, most everybody knows that last place to look for any truly cool "Walt Disney" related product is at one of the Disney branded institutions (Disney Channel, Disney Store, etc.).

• Rock Star Minion

Interesting that there are OLC-like maintenance and appearance clauses in the contract to allow TCP to use the Disney name on the stores, when the stores under Disney ownership (similar to the parks vs OLC's parks) have no such rules.
    Control without the financial risk. That's MBAeering for you.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Either way, most everybody knows that last place to look for any truly cool "Walt Disney" related product is at one of the Disney branded institutions (Disney Channel, Disney Store, etc.).
    Actually when I want something Disney, I do go to the Disney Store. I have gotten many "truly cool" Disney products there. It costs a lot less in gas to drive to the next town over than to drive the 1000 miles to the closest World of Disney store.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

And when The Disney Store does carry mens shirts, (not
    just the T-shirts), they are really nicely designed, and
    usually only cost $19.99! I loved the red and black Jack
    Sparrow Shirt they had last year, with the Flying Dutchman
    on the back. And just recently they had a couple of neat
    island shirts. And it's interesting to note that The Disney
    Stores had a MUCH larger selection of merchandise for
    Meet the Robinsons, than DL, WDW, or any local discount
    store. The Disney Store seems to have more faith in Disney's
    own movies, than Disney has itself ~ THAT is rather embarassing
    for DL and WDW!

• Banned User

if our company(Disney) does buy the disney stores back from the childrens place, lets see more collectibles again at the store(s). in addition to info about the disney cruise line(and a reservation kiosk), the disneyland resort-s(and reservation/ticket order kiosk), and bring back the original disney credit card (not the one from chase, but the ORIGINAL DISNEY CREDIT CARD)

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    if our company(Disney) does buy the disney stores back from the childrens place, lets see more collectibles again at the store(s). in addition to info about the disney cruise line(and a reservation kiosk), the disneyland resort-s(and reservation/ticket order kiosk), and bring back the original disney credit card (not the one from chase, but the ORIGINAL DISNEY CREDIT CARD)

I'm in total agreement, especially if we can get collectibles as nice as the ones at the resorts. I love the t-shirts that have been available lately. I'd say the Disney Studios collection that the Disneystore has been carrying are as good, if not better than any shirts at the resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    ... in addition to info about the disney cruise line(and a reservation kiosk), the disneyland resort-s(and reservation/ticket order kiosk), and bring back the original disney credit card (not the one from chase, but the ORIGINAL DISNEY CREDIT CARD)
    Extremely doubtful that they would ever bring back Disney travel kiosks within the stores. Some stores had them in the past and ended up closing them, cause they wasn't extremely popular, to make more retail space. There is only one store that I know for sure that had a kiosk like that was in Warwick, RI.

Also the Disney charge card will most likely never come back either. Though I did enjoy it since it was my one of my first cards. The new Chase Visa does have better benefits even if it does have a high interst rate, (but the Disney card did too)

They need to buy the stores back and.......

a- reduce the number of stores to 100-200.

b- have each store themed to the local area as well as Disney.Make it a shopping destination.Id rather drive an hour to a really well themed/well stocked store than have 3 stores close by that I dont want to go to.

c-they need to offer more adult merchandise,collectables,etc.

d-they need to utilize the synergy that all of the other units of the TWDC do.Every other unit of TWDC advertises either by print or radio or TV.Disney did not want to do this when they owned the stores due to the fact that they said it cheapened them. I disagree.

e- they need to cross market the stores with top of the line commercials very much like the park commercials that shows magical family moments at the stores as well at.......

-trailors of Disney movies
    -tv,radio,print
    -when you walk into the magic kingdom there are always posters of new movies and others things with Disney-put some up for Disney Store as well.
    -DVC and yearly passholders can get coupons and up to date info in their news letters.
    -Disney hotel guests on all of their info brochures and Disney ran channels spotlight some Disney Store info there as well.

• Shablagoo!

HOw many DIsney Stiores are there anymore. We used ot have around a dozen at least in WA, now there are 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast