Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   

POTC premiere (no spoilers)

I just got back from the Make-A-Wish premiere event. Oh man, was it a good time! Seeing Johnny in person was really one of the coolest things ever, and I swear, I’ve seen few stars more gracious with their fans, especially considering the time crunch and that his real job was to do the press thing. Orlando was certainly right up there also!

As for the film, I’m not going to post a detailed review here just yet (although I will be happy to answer questions) as it’s a film I need to contemplate a bit, which I guess is a good thing. It’s a complex, dense, plot with lots of double-crossing. My friend and I spent a couple hours at the bar after the film dissecting every moment <g> and I’m still going over it in my head before I write a more detailed plot review as I try to marry my hopeful expectation with the reality.

But in general, my initial reaction is mixed. It’s got some amazingly great moments interspersed with some astoundingly awful moments, the thing is, the pendulum swing fast and wide. Greatness mixed with disappointment.
    The basic plot, some of the twists, and ultimate resolution was brave, especially for a big summer movie generally not given to character and plot. I give kudos to the creators for taking the risk. Touch of destiny indeed <g>

But also, the execution faultered in some spots, severely, IMO. And there were a couple WTF moments. Overall, I'd give it a B- (although a C-/D+ for a couple of just terrible moments)

No, it's not as good as the first, (what could be) but an improvement over the second because you have resolution of the storylines. But I can say that no matter what, certain "camps" are going to be PO'd regarding those resolutions. But then again, that was a given....<g>

I will say this as it’s not too spoilerly, The performances are all wonderful, CJS is less of a buffoon than he was in DMC. And of course, Johnny is superb as always, at blending the dramatic elements with the humor very deftly. (Just so you know, without giving anyway any plot details here, it’s almost 15 or 20 minutes before Jack makes his first appearance in the nearly 3-hour film. Plot-wise, there’s reason for this. Dying-to- see-Captain-Jack-as-soon-as-possible-wise, the wait seemed interminable! ) Orlando, Kiera and the rest were a pleasure to watch.
    KTFaye
    Last edited by ktfaye; 05-20-2007 at 05:22 PM.

• Minion

Re: POTC premiere (no spoilers)

Thank you SO much for posting this. I think I'm relieved. I want the film to do well, not just with box office, but with the fans and it sounds like it has at least a chance of doing that. Thanks for sharing.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

It would be tough to find a more critic-proof film this summer.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Infinitized!

Thanks for the quicky review. I mainly wanted to know how it stood up to the previous two. Of course, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as the first, but hearing that it is better than DMC is good to hear. I do hope that they take their time in planning Pirates 4 and perhaps having a simpler plot like Black Pearl. I wouldn't mind seeing the pirates go on a simple treasure hunt and having an island full of booby traps, kind of like in Disney's Shipwrecked that came out in the 90s.

• 88 mph

Pirates 4?!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Great review kt! I'm very glad to here that Jack is back to being more edgier like he was in Black Pearl. One of my few complaints about Dead Man's Chest was that Depp was doing too much shtick and not enough character. For all his idiosyncracies, Jack still needs to have that dangerous side to him.

Thanks for your insight.

• Future Imagineer!!

what was that about pirates 4?!?!

why would there be a pirates 4.....trilogys are good....anything past that is overkill....except star wars...and indiana jones....

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by MarenBoBarren View Post
    why would there be a pirates 4.....trilogys are good....anything past that is overkill....except star wars...and indiana jones....
    No... I think you got it right with NO exceptions. Did you watch even watch Episodes 1-3? And Indy 4... well, I'll reserve judgement til it's released...

I'm just sayin'
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Infinitized!

I'm surprised you guys are surprised about Pirates 4. About a month ago, maybe more, there was news on the internet that Disney is interested in doing another trilogy. And if there's no Pirates 4, well there's Jungle Cruise which is on its way. I just hope it doesn't end up like Haunted Mansion or *shudder* Country Bears.

On a side note about the Indiana Jones movies. I remember reading years ago that when George Lucas started making them and he signed with Paramount to release them, the original contract was for a total of five Indiana Jones movies. So, maybe just maybe, we may even see a 5th. That is, if Harrison doesn't end up in a wheel chair after finishing #4.

Edited to add: I read recently that Disney is aiming to release Pirates 4 around 2010 or 2011. Hopefully this will give them some time to come up with a good story.

• I'm not really here

There have been hints about Pirates 4 since the DMC DVD released, so it's not really that surprising. And could be fun if done correctly. Meaning forget the trilogy and just tell Pirate tales.

I'm glad that this movie was good and enjoyable and really happy that they took some risks with it. That should keep it a little less than predictable and I'm glad there are lots of double-double-crosses.

Thanks for this initial review. 12:01am Friday can't come fast enough.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Closed Account

I asked Lee Aurenberg aka Pintel today about POTC 4 since he is one of the main characters in all three pirate movies and here was his response:

"It is all up to what Johnny wants to do. If he says yes and he wants to do it than it is up to the writers to create a new and exciting script. Everyone is definitely onboard for more pirate movies but it really depends upon Johnny!"

•   

Quote Originally Posted by MarenBoBarren View Post
    what was that about pirates 4?!?!

And Harry Potter!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Tell us more about the event. Did you walk the red carpet,
    what was it like? How did the ticket pick up go? Did they
    keep the line moving? Did it take long to get your tickets?
    They said ticket pick up was at 6pm, which didn't leave much
    time for the 1500 to 2000 people to pick up tickets.

Did you get some freebies? Was there time before or after the
    movie for attractions? Did they have snacks for you besides
    soda and popcorn?

What kind of a ceremony did they have immediately before the
    movie? Did Johnny, Orlando, Gore, etc talk to the crowd before
    the movie?

Basically give us the details on what you experienced, that
    people missed, who didn't pay $1,500. Obviously, the movie ~
    but it would really be neat to know all the special things besides
    that. Where were you seated? What was it like experiencing
    seeing a movie outside in DL?!?!??!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Credentials pickup began at 4pm, so you were able to walk the carpet from anytime between 4 and 7:30.

Once you entered, everything was free and all you wanted. Photos, churros, ice cream, buffets, soda, popcorn, cotton candy, etc. Various games were setup around New Orleans for the kids. Nintendo was there demonstrating its newest games. Nintendo also gave everyone who attended a DS Lite Pirates Special Edition, including the game for the DS and a game for the wii. Every guest also got the premiere hat and the soundtrack from the film.

Events wise, Splash performed before the film. (Some band) After Splash, Hans Zimmer and his orchestra was there to play some music from the soundtrack. Then the stars had their introductions. They sat down, and the movie began. After the movie, fireworks went off to the music of the credits. Honestly, it was one of the best fireworks shows that I've seen. lol

After that, the left side of Disneyland was open for the guests to enjoy. (as it was before the movie as well)

The best time to see the stars & big shots was after the carpet during the dinner time, and after the movie. I talked with quite a few myself.

It was a fun event, but was it worth $1500? Not that I can see, then again, it was for Make a Wish, so you do feel good inside.

You didn't get to enjoy the experience of being on sides of the carpet though. If you wanted autographs, you should have been standing next to the carpet, not walking on it. And I know a lot of people were dissapointed about that. But I understand the concept of a movie premiere when you are a guest, evidently most people don't. I stood on the carpet last year, and I know what that was like, and it was very dissapointing because of how quickly Orlando and Johnny walked at the end, but oh well, it's okay.

Okay, end of rant.
    -Bill

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    It was a fun event, but was it worth $1500? Not that I can see, then again, it was for Make a Wish, so you do feel good inside.
    Well, if it is going to Make-A-Wish and I was making good money (which right now I'm not because I just finished University), then I would definitely go. Make-A-Wish is a great organization to support. I hope they do make a Pirates 4 and I hope that I can attend the premier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast