• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Crystal Clear Pirates: 'At World's End' to Open on 1,000+ Digital Screens

In a milestone for digital cinema, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End will open this weekend on 1,064 digital cinema screens domestically--nearly a third of all the digital screens in the U.S.--and over 400 digital screens internationally, the largest digital theatrical release ever.

American theatres have been rushing to convert to digital projections over the past 18 months, further hastened by the popularity of the new generation of 3-D films. Digital distribution is easier and more cost effective than conventional film distribution and guarantees a movie will have virtually no loss of quality after repeated showings.

Source: Reuters/The Hollywood Reporter
    Last edited by disneytim; 05-22-2007 at 10:46 PM.

• Splash Mountain addict.

Re: Crystal Clear Pirates: 'At World's End' to Open on 1,000+ Digital Screens

AWESOME! I love the clarity of digitally projected movies.

That, and paying $2-3 extra to see the film...

• Senior Minion

There for a while the only theater in my area was in Riverbank. They were the first in the valley to get Digital projection. Glad they did, because it's really the only theater I go too.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Minion

The theater here in town was the first I went to with Digital projection, and I found the dark scenes distracting because of digital noise. It may have been the film I was watching because since then I have seen a couple more films projected digitally in that same theater and they haven't been as distracting in that regard. I am glad that digital projection at least sustains the integrity of the "print" you are viewing since there is no loss of image from screening to screening.

• Quality not quantity

Is it just me?

I've seen several digital movies, starting with Star Wars III and I really cannot see that they are any better. In fact with Star Wars which is the only movie I have seen in both formats, the digital picture was clearly pixelated in some scenes and over all the colors were not as rich.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain