View Poll Results: What did you think of "POTC: AWE"?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - What's Another Word for Pirate Treasure? Booty!

117 43.98%
  • 4 Stars - A Pirates Life for Me!

85 31.95%
  • 3 Stars - A swashbuckling good time...

37 13.91%
  • 2 Stars - Shiver me Timbers!

14 5.26%
  • 1 Star - Argh, that sucked.

13 4.89%
Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415162338 ... LastLast

• Cherry Tart

Re: Official "POTC: At World's End" Review Thread and Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Spoiler
    Where is everyone getting this “Elizabeth broke the curse” idea? They never said anything of the sort. Whoever captains the Dutchman captains it for eternity or until someone takes his place by stabbing his heart, in which case he will die. His duty in exchange for immortality is to ferry the dead to the other side, only being able to set foot on land once every ten years. (Hence Will’s comment of “it depends on the day” regarding whether or not it’s worth it.) If the Captain’s beloved is there when he returns after ten years, nothing changes. The curse caused by Tia Dalma’s absence when Jones came back was not the sentence of eternity at sea. When Tia skipped out on Jones, he felt betrayed and therefore no longer fulfilled his duty of ferrying lost souls over to the other side. He and his crew were then cursed with turning slowly into fish people. At the end when Will returns, he still only has that one day to spend with her before he must return again to his duties. Now, the writers may have backtracked in some interview, but this is how the film set up its mythos so that’s how it works out.
    Go read this journal entry, it makes a lot of sense - http://kaellana.livejournal.com/47483.html (SPOILERS)

But I don't want to go among MAD people!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    Go read this journal entry, it makes a lot of sense - http://kaellana.livejournal.com/47483.html (SPOILERS)
    Thank you for posting that. Makes ALOT of sense.

Sad they had to cut some stuff out. I could think of some other stuff that maybe wasn't as pertinent as that.

• 88 mph

I thought this was a horrible movie. Dead Men's Chest was alot better. The whole story was confusing to me so much that I had to read the writers commentaries in order to understand what was going on. There was also the failure of character development. I felt like they brought up many characters but failed to build up on them.
    Spoiler
    IE. Captain Teague, The Pirate Lords (they were just... there. No other purpose for the plot.), the singapore pirate lord (why was he important enough to be shown in alot of the scenes), Calypso (had a hard time understanding what her purpose was and what she is), where the hell was Jack and why wasn't he dead, what exactly is davy jone's locker, the purpose of the chart map...
    It just failed to really make it easy to understand on the audience. I mean I had to have many people explain to me why
    Spoiler
    Will and his crew weren't sea creatures.
    If this is a kids movie and the adults are being confused just as well then you have a problem. I had several times kids around me asking their parents who he/she is, why this is happening, what is happening, etc.

Also, too long. This is a movie, not an opera/play. I felt like there should be an intermission in between the incessant taking throughout the beginning of the movie.

Some questions I still have if you guys can indulge me,
    Spoiler

why is Elizabeth presented in such a whorish/sluttish appearance? The woman makes out with more guys throughout the three movies then most women do in their lifetime. hahaha I'm just messing around.

But seriously though, why DID Calypso bring Barbossa back to life?

Its safe to say that without the presence of Johnny Depp this movie would be nothing, but thats besides the point. But again this is all in my opinion. I realyl hope there isn't afourth. Lets not let this series be ruined by the Disney sequel curse or this movie is going ot end up like Shrek 3.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Jeronius View Post

Spoiler
    Spoiler

The "Sea Creature" thing was a result of Davy Jones cutting out his heart when Calypso wasn't there in 10 years. Not a result of being Captian of the Flying Dutchman. This was explained in the scene between Calypso and Davy Jones when he changes to human form when she touches him.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Also made pretty evident in the movie. She needed Barbossa since he was one of the "nine" and she needed all of them to shed her earthly form.

My kids didn't seem confused at all.

I thought this was a horrible movie. Dead Men's Chest was alot better. The whole story was confusing to me so much that I had to read the writers commentaries in order to understand what was going on. There was also the failure of character development. I felt like they brought up many characters but failed to build up on them.
    Spoiler
    IE. Captain Teague, The Pirate Lords (they were just... there. No other purpose for the plot.), the singapore pirate lord (why was he important enough to be shown in alot of the scenes), Calypso (had a hard time understanding what her purpose was and what she is), where the hell was Jack and why wasn't he dead, what exactly is davy jone's locker, the purpose of the chart map...
    It just failed to really make it easy to understand on the audience. I mean I had to have many people explain to me why
    Spoiler
    If this is a kids movie and the adults are being confused just as well then you have a problem. I had several times kids around me asking their parents who he/she is, why this is happening, what is happening, etc.

Also, too long. This is a movie, not an opera/play. I felt like there should be an intermission in between the incessant taking throughout the beginning of the movie.

Some questions I still have if you guys can indulge me,
    Spoiler

why is Elizabeth presented in such a whorish/sluttish appearance? The woman makes out with more guys throughout the three movies then most women do in their lifetime. hahaha I'm just messing around.

Its safe to say that without the presence of Johnny Depp this movie would be nothing, but thats besides the point. But again this is all in my opinion. I realyl hope there isn't afourth. Lets not let this series be ruined by the Disney sequel curse or this movie is going ot end up like Shrek 3.
    It sounds to me like someone just sat in their chair and didn't really put an effort into trying to understand it. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking questions that were told directly to your face. I'll say it once, and I'll say it again, I'm glad they didn't "dumb" it down for the people who really want to be entertained with slapstick, unintellectual, stupid plots (Billy and Mandy comes to mind...hate that show). These movies make you use your mind and that's some of the beauty that makes them so great.

If someone chooses not to really watch the movie, of course it's not going to be good, they didn't WATCH it.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter13 View Post
    If someone chooses not to really watch the movie, of course it's not going to be good, they didn't WATCH it.
    Reminds me of a movie quote:

You can listen to Jimi but you can't hear him. There's a difference man. Just because your listening to him doesn't mean you're hearing him
    Just because you can see the movie, doesn't mean you watched it.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

I'll even admit that I had just gotten off work when I saw the movie and was pretty tired. So I probably didn't like it as much as I would have if I had been well rested.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• 88 mph

It sounds to me like someone just sat in their chair and didn't really put an effort into trying to understand it. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking questions that were told directly to your face. I'll say it once, and I'll say it again, I'm glad they didn't "dumb" it down for the people who really want to be entertained with slapstick, unintellectual, stupid plots (Billy and Mandy comes to mind...hate that show). These movies make you use your mind and that's some of the beauty that makes them so great.

I did try to understand it. I loved the first one, the second one wasn't that bad but this one just takes the cake. There was so much going on its hard to get a clear bearing as to what exactly is going on. They were trying to tell 4 stories at once. I know I'm going to be hammered by fanboys/girls, but look I'm telling it like it is and this just wasn't a well made movie.

And if people have to read up on writers websites/blogs to understand whats going on? Who needs that? Shouldn't that be presented in the movie?

And are yousaying the first one wasn't slapstick???

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary... Impossible is nothing."
    -Adidas
    In the grand scope of life, there's nothing actually cool about being knowledgeable about an amusement park.

All of them have outrageous funny parts (The monkey in most cases), but they all have integrel twists and immersive stories.

Look, I can understand not getting cretain things (maybe you had to go get popcorn), but to say Elizabeth's a whore/slut for kissing tells me you didn't really pay attention to the lines she said, just what she did with her lips...

• 88 mph

All of them have outrageous funny parts (The monkey in most cases), but they all have integrel twists and immersive stories.

Look, I can understand not getting cretain things (maybe you had to go get popcorn), but to say Elizabeth's a whore/slut for kissing tells me you didn't really pay attention to the lines she said, just what she did with her lips...
    I still don't understand why you are trying to criticize my ability to watch movies. What I think of the movie is of my own opinion and if I think the movie is bad then I think it is bad. Nothing you can say will change my mind. The movie was filled with hype and I took it, and now I'm dissappointed.So many characters have to finish their story in this movie that they don't have time to get "immersive" in each individual story. was confused as to understanding everyones purpose in the movie.

But then you challenge my intellectual capacity as to how I can take in movies, and one person tells me that their kids understand it (good for them, but doesn't apply to everyone). Why does it have to be that I'm not paying "enough" attention? oh I know, how about this? IT WAS BORING ALSO!!!!!

There. =)

And in case you dont understand what "Just messing around" Id suggest dictionary.com and search the word kidding, or joking. They are synonyms.
    Last edited by Jeronius; 05-27-2007 at 04:02 PM.

-Adidas

I still don't understand why you are trying to criticize my ability to watch movies. What I think of the movie is of my own opinion and if I think the movie is bad then I think it is bad. Nothing you can say will change my mind. The movie was filled with hype and I took it, and now I'm dissappointed.So many characters have to finish their story in this movie that they don't have time to get "immersive" in each individual story. was confused as to understanding everyones purpose in the movie.

But then you challenge my intellectual capacity as to how I can take in movies, and one person tells me that their kids understand it (good for them, but doesn't apply to everyone). Why does it have to be that I'm not paying "enough" attention? oh I know, how about this? IT WAS BORING ALSO!!!!!

There. =)
    I'm not saying you're "stupid" if that's the message you're getting. I'm just saying you didn't give it a fair chance, but whatever. It doesn't matter what I say because you'll always view it your way and no, I cannot change that. Have fun watching.......well whatever you do when you go to the movies.

And in case you dont understand what "Just messing around" Id suggest dictionary.com and search the word kidding, or joking. They are synonyms.
    Uhh, ok... I'm glad you're trying to use the "dictionary put-down"

• 88 mph

Uhh, ok... I'm glad you're trying to use the "dictionary put-down"
    Well I did say it and you did miss it. =)

Look. Some parts of the movie made me laugh out loud (mostly scenes involving Sparrow and those two clowns (the one with the wooden eye), I just didn't believe it was directed as best as its potential. Pirates one was a hit, why not follow the same formula? Every movie that fudges up the formula they were successful with goes to shambles. And whats with the 3 curses? Many movies ending with 3s are rated poorly. Hopefully Oceans 13 isn't the same.

I really really raelly liked the Pirates series until now. Lets not completely kill it with a fourth. But I haer bloom and knightley aren't going to be in it. Theres a good start.

But then again, talk about Disney overdoing nearly everything...

-Adidas

Well agree to disagree, heh

• Circle of Ancients

The first one had ALOT of joking around with Pintel and Ragetti in Pirates 1. This was just a continuation of it, and I LOVED it.

Spoiler

I also loved that the eye had a purpose and was Barbossa's "Piece of Eight".