View Poll Results: What did you think of "POTC: AWE"?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - What's Another Word for Pirate Treasure? Booty!

117 43.98%
  • 4 Stars - A Pirates Life for Me!

85 31.95%
  • 3 Stars - A swashbuckling good time...

37 13.91%
  • 2 Stars - Shiver me Timbers!

14 5.26%
  • 1 Star - Argh, that sucked.

13 4.89%
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 163138394041

• Closed Account

Re: Official "POTC: At World's End" Review Thread and Poll

The Singapore Jack Sparrow is Toby Markham! He always seems to enter into these POTC threads all the time! He markets himself well!

http://www.sithcamaro.com/main.html

• Now 40% less bitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Gracie View Post
    they never really said what it was, possibly the fact that Jack released all of Beckett's "precious" cargo?
    There's a new book that's out, which was mentioned on a previous post on here. There's a review for it on JimHillMedia.com. It's supposed to be a journal kept by Mr. Gibbs, and one of the snippets explains it:
    Spoiler
    Apparently, the legend was that Jack had the Black Pearl for a long time. It used to be the Wicked Wench, and Jack used to be an honest man-at-sea. Beckett approached Sparrow and asked him to deliver some cargo from Africa, and at first Jack agreed. But then he found out that the cargo was human, and he turned around and refused. For that, Beckett marked him with the brand of a pirate. That's why, in the first movie, Norrington pulls back Jack's sleeve and says, "Had a run-in with the East India Trading Company, have you?"

By the way, up until reading the first 15 or so pages of this thread, I was so angry at the movie. The way Will's storyline went just made me so mad. I figured, this must be how they're able to keep the romance in their marriage. But it made me so pissed! I watched it Tuesday night, and couldn't sleep. Up until Thursday afternoon, I couldn't get "Hoist the Colors" out of my head. I loved the movie up until that one point. But after reading this thread and the various links, I'm just so relieved. I think I'll be able to watch this movie again, now. Thanks, guys!
    Oh, yes, I agree that Will got totally hot towards the end of the film. For the whole trilogy up to that point, he wasn't exactly my favorite. He could fight and everything, sure. But suddenly, he was manly and hot! Whew! And that ticked me off even more! Up until reading this thread.
    Last edited by AliKzam; 06-15-2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: I posted this at 2:27 am, checked grammar.
    Oo-de-lally!

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by AliKzam View Post
    Oh, yes, I agree that Will got totally hot towards the end of the film. For the whole trilogy up to that point, he wasn't exactly my favorite. He could fight and everything, sure. But suddenly, he was manly and hot! Whew!
    I totally agree with you on Will/Orlando Bloom. I always thought he was this pretty British boy but wow...PotC3...he was all man in that film. LOL

• Minion

I bought that little book you mentioned Ali, and it was fun. I also bought the "Art of Pirates of the Caribbean" and it's totally worth it, what amazing concept art they created for the film, really cool whimsical, piratey, beautiful stuff.

• Minion

I was missing the Pirates thread... and if I wasn't getting married in 8 days...I'd go see it again. Just saying.

• Disney Memory Maker

Just thought I'd post some interesting box office facts......
    • At the end of this past friday, it will have been exactly 1 full year since DMC opened. In those 12 months, the two films have made a combined $1.975 BILLION worldwide ($1.066b from DMC and $907m from AWE).
    • Domestically, the two films have made over $720 million in these past 12 months ($423 from DMC and ~$300 from AWE)
    • On the same day DMC opened, one year later, AWE is estimated to cross the $300m mark domestically.
    • AWE currently stands as the 9th biggest film of all time, but looks to end its run at number 5, between The Two Towers' $926.3m and The Sorcerer's Stone's $976.5 million. (It should end around $305-$310m domestically and $640-$650m overseas, challenging to top DMC's OS numbers)
    • The Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy currently stands at $2.627b worldwide, placing it as the 3rd biggest worldwide trilogy ever (only a few million dollars behind the initial HP trilogy. At the end of the day, it should finish as the 2nd biggest trilogy worldwide of all time, behind only the Lord of the Rings trilogy (at $2.931b)
    • The Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy currently stands at about $1.028b domestically, placing it as the 4th biggest domestic trilogy ever. At the end of the day, it should finish in its current spot, behind Lord of the Ring's $1.060b, Spider-man's $1.111b and the Star Wars Prequels' $1.113b.
    • And finally, AWE stands as the number 6 film of all time overseas. At the end of the day, it should finish as the 4th or 5th biggest, right ahead of (or right behind) DMC's $642.9m and behind Sorcerer's Stone's $658.8m, The Return of the King's $741.9m and Titanic's $1.244b.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Sad. Those numbers are only going to convince the film makers that they got it all right and so they'll never realize that World's End was a stinker and only rode the wave of pirate mania that the original created. Looks like in a couple of years we're going to be subjected to Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Waify Pirate Queen And Even More Nonsensical Plot.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I just bought the Soundtrack CD yesterday and I listened to "I See Dead people In Boats." Love that track and love that scene.

I can see how Disney can make another film about Jack and Barbossa racing towards the Fountain of Youth, but I don't think it can go anywhere beyond that.

But I think Davy Jones was the best villain out of the whole trilogy.

I don't get why many people like Tia Dalma (Sp.?) though. It seems she has gained a fan following.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I can see how Disney can make another film about Jack and Barbossa racing towards the Fountain of Youth, but I don't think it can go anywhere beyond that.
    I think it can. I mean remember that DMC and AWE had almost nothing to do with CotBP. Outside the core characters, there was almost an entire different cast for each movie. Barbossa's entire crew (minus Pintel and Ragetti) were never seen again after CotBP despite having large roles. The entire tribal people were only seen in DMC. And the Kraken is the perfect example. Basically all of DMC revolved around the Kraken (there would be no tribal scene if it wasn't for him, nor would we have met Tia Dalma). As long as they keep Jack, Will & Barbossa (Elizabeth would be nice, but it doesn't look likely), they can create entire new worlds. Barbossa will likely continue to prove to be a great villain, but Davy Jones & Beckett showed that more than one villain can exist in the same movie. Just my thoughts though.

But I think Davy Jones was the best villain out of the whole trilogy.
    Definitely agree there. I also think that Bill Nighy is the most overlooked actor of the series. Davy Jones is just such an over-the-top, instant-classic villain that was given some of the best lines in the movie. I can't wait to see him walking around the parks.

I don't get why many people like Tia Dalma (Sp.?) though. It seems she has gained a fan following.
    I really like her (and definitely think she could continue her role as Calypso in following movies). I think it's a mixture of her mystic mystery and fun accent that gives her a following (and the fact that like Jack, you can never tell whether she is good or bad).

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Sad. Those numbers are only going to convince the film makers that they got it all right and so they'll never realize that World's End was a stinker and only rode the wave of pirate mania that the original created.
    Oh give me a break. You didn't like it, that's your opinion. But don't cast that opinion to everyone else. Movies don't make nearly a billion dollars worldwide if it people in general didn't like it. Online polls show that most in the web community either liked the film or loved it. And obviously the money speaks for itself. People don't shed out $2 billion worth of tickets in 12 months for films they don't like. That simply doesn't happen.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Because she's awesome, that's why. Also I think the Jamaican accent excites some people. I have to admit I find it a bit of a turn-on myself.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    Oh give me a break. You didn't like it, that's your opinion. But don't cast that opinion to everyone else. Movies don't make nearly a billion dollars worldwide if it people in general didn't like it. Online polls show that most in the web community either liked the film or loved it. And obviously the money speaks for itself. People don't shed out $2 billion worth of tickets in 12 months for films they don't like. That simply doesn't happen.
    Actually, I'll cast that opinion wherever and whenever I quite like, DI. It happens to be a very common and informed opinion, as evidenced by the very existence of this thread and the lively debate within it. Quite a lot of people disliked, to some or all extent, World's End. It made a huge chunk of its money from people such as myself who were fans of Black Pearl and Dead Man's Chest and therefore made sure not to miss World's End. However, quite a few people, again, such as myself, were less than impressed with this bloated, overcooked, nonsensical monster and chose not to attend repeated showings. I saw Black Pearl four or five times, but World's End I'll not see again until DVD, which I'll probably just burn from Netflix. (My little salute to the real pirates of yore.) And sorry to burst your fandom bubble with a little logic, but crappy sequels make big money based on holdover cheer from their predecessors all the time. Look at the Matrix sequels. They both sucked big time, but since the Matrix was such an amazing, out of nowhere delight, they brought in quite a haul as well. You are right about one little thing, however: the money certainly does "speak for itself." Money in, money out: money made World's End crappy and money (in the absence of quality) made it successful. Black Pearl was a hit because of its originality, creativity and simple goodness. World's End, all marketing. It just, simply happened.

• Now 40% less bitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Looks like in a couple of years we're going to be subjected to Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Waify Pirate Queen And Even More Nonsensical Plot.
    Ooh! Can I be in it?
    Seriously, though. I tried to be in Black Pearl like three times. Everyone and their mother (literally) was an extra in that movie. Sandi Alessi(sp?) casting cast me twice in it, but my call-in service took me out both times and told me to stop calling her, because I was booked for something else. They tried to make it up to me by putting me in Haunted Mansion. Sigh... Well, at least I got to wander around the awesomely intricate set, and Don Hahn was nice.
    Oo-de-lally!

• Banned User

That would have been so amazing! I'd love to be a movie extra. Sounds like loads of fun. I'd have been pissed about getting Haunted Mansion over Pearl though. The set was about the only good thing about that movie.

• Now 40% less bitter!

It's only loads of fun if you do it on occassion. Full time can make one a little bit crazy. But yeah, the set was pretty cool. My costume rocked, but naturally, I have no pictures (that whole illegal thing). I've considered renting the movie to see if I could see myself in it, but I haven't yet. I was in a party scene that wasn't all gouhlish. My dress was so wide that if I turned within close proximity to other people, I'd knock them over. It rocked.
    Anyway, back to pirates. Hey, ho, hoist the colors. Yo ho-o, yo ho-o...
    Did they change the music in the attraction? I haven't ridden it since the redo, and I heard it had changed. Oh, and didn't Keith Richards seriously look like the original captain of the Wicked Wench. Those make up artists are awesome.
    Oo-de-lally!

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 163138394041