• Minion

big brother controversy

Our BB is in it's fifth week here, and one of the housemates' father has died, and BB has decided NOT to let her know

'Inhumane' Big Brother won't budge on dead father

Thursday May 24 13:00 AEST

By Hal Crawford
    ninemsn
    A decision by the makers of Big Brother to not tell a contestant her father has died has been condemned as inhumane, unethical and psychologically damaging.
    Contestant Emma's father Raymond Cornell died last week and his funeral was held on Monday in Adelaide, but the 24-year-old is still unaware of his death.

RELATED LINKS

"Will they break the news to her on air, for ratings?" World Vision chief Tim Costello said. "This is patent ethical irresponsibility . . . she's only got one father and she'll suffer guilt and possibly resentment for the rest of her life."
    var JS_SITE;var JS_SECTION;var JS_SUB_SECTION;var JS_AD_MEM_TAG;var JS_PAGE_COBRAND;function GetCobrandAdStr__633156358135190594() { if (JS_PAGE_COBRAND != undefined && JS_PAGE_COBRAND != '') { return '/COBRAND='+JS_PAGE_COBRAND; } else { return ''; }}spac_writeAd('/SITE='+JS_SITE+'/AREA='+JS_SECTION+'/SUBSECTION='+JS_SUB_SECTION+'/LOC=TOP/AAMSZ=MEDIUM'+JS_AD_MEM_TAG+GetCobrandAdStr__63315 6358135190594());Producers of Big Brother have refused to move from their position, stating that "it was the wish of the family" that Mr Cornell's death be kept from Emma.
    But ethicists say such a decision cannot be made for Emma, regardless of what her family or even her father wanted.
    "Parents often want to protect children, but she's an adult and she can make up her own mind," media commentator and academic Eva Cox said. "She has to be told."
    Rev Costello and Ms Cox called for the establishment of constraints on reality shows like Big Brother.
    "Shows like this encourage the most prurient side of our natures," Ms Cox said "This is a serious question, and here we've crossed the line."
    "It really is getting too much like the 'real' Big Brother," Rev Costello said. "The boundaries keep getting pushed back and we don't notice — like the frog in a pot of slowly heating water."
    The fact that Emma had been estranged until recently from her father, who was sick with cancer before his daughter entered the Gold Coast Big Brother house, only made her ignorance more damaging.
    "The funeral is the only rite of passage we have," Rev Costello said. "I don't think we can contract to do away with things like this."
    Big Brother producers refused to comment in detail on the criticisms

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Re: big brother controversy

Wow. That is just awful. She is going to be one unhappy person when she finds out. One, obviously her father is dead and two, it was kept from her! Unbelievable! :
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Waiting for the stork

That is just awful, truely disgusting to do to someone.
    He have a natural process of grief, and it is highly likely that the decision to keep this from her will cause far more long term harm to her. There is guilt, resentment, fear can be built,
    Our emotions need to be taken care of in a manner that is apropriate to our selves, and frankly I have not met anyone that would rather wait to hear about a death.....Death is never 'convienent' But each person must be allowed to process it...

this is truely disgusting to me, it's cruel and evil.....and all for stinking television rateings.....

and this is a prime example of why I HATE reality TV.

I just can not believe this.
    procrastibating

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

That's way too inhumane. Talk about taking a game show too far.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

that is just wrong. at least after 9/11 they told the person in the house what had happened and that was the right thing to do. this is just taking it too far.
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

• Former Epcot CM

That's sick. That girl is gonna beat herself up forever.
    Shiny and New

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California

July 2012 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

This is totally wrong. I hope there are SERIOUS repercussions for their actions.
    Anything you do, let it come from you, then it will be new. Give us more to see. ~Stephen Sondheim

• Life is Great!

but you never know. She knew he was ill, maybe she even let them know ahead of time she didnt want to know.
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

• Huh?

I'm not going to jump on the "inhumane" bandwagon yet....

They stated that this was the family's and the father's wish. I'm sure that choosing to respect the family's wishes was a little hard for them to do, especially if they could foresee this kind of backlash. If they were truthful and that was the family's wishes, she only has her family to be upset with, not the producers.

We also don't know the full details of the relationship she had with her father. Sounds like they weren't too close, so we don't know yet if this will be psychologically damaging at all.
    -Tim

• Minion

It's been a weird one this year. Thay have had a professional belly dancer who claims to be Muslim, but wears skimpy clothes and is very opinionated... and they have a Mormom, who spends hours praying. They haven't just had young crazy kids like most years.
    They had to evict two guys last year because of sexual abuse to a female housemate, so I guess they thought having a quieter group would keep them out of the headlines

http://bigbrother.3mobile.com.au/

Oh, and another thing that happened a couple of weeks ago... one of the challenges was to have those "real baby" dolls that you have to look after 24/7. One of the girls had lost a baby (stillborn at full term) only 8 months before!! The poor thing was distraught

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• Circle of Ancients

If it was the family's wish, then they should respect that.

But if they are doing it just for the 'show' then that's not cool.

• That Guy

What a train wreck.

Another reason I am glad to not view that show.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I'm with ya there Max