Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    • Still lost in Neverland
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Van Nuys, CA
    Posts
    4,068

    Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    I was just pondering this fact. Spiderman 3 came out and most of the critics (and a few fans and Mice Chatters) basically trashed the movie. But, it did box office wonders at the theaters. Shrek 3 came out and once again the critics hated it. But the fans love it and it made lot of money. Now Pirates 3 is opening and already the critics are showing their stupidity by saying the movie is too confusing for those who have not seen the first two. Is there anybody who has not seen the first two? Who would walk into a movie with the number 3 in the title and think that it would make sense? I am sure this movie will do just fine at the box office, and probably shatter a few records on it's journey. Next up is Harry Potter 5. The critics have almost universally hated the HP movies and I am sure this one will be no different. But the fans love the movies, for the most part. I am also sure this movie will blast the box office.

    The studios are only interested in making a profit. They will do that on all these movies this year. Do you actually read and listen to these so called "Critics". If you are a Johnny Depp and Pirates fan, if a critic says this movie is too confusing, too long, doesn't make sense, etc., will this keep you from seeing the movie? I think not. So why do these people still get paid to do this no meaningful job? If newspapers are so tight for money, this is one job that could go away and never be missed. Same for the dumb TV Critics. They don't have a clue either. I stopped watching them a long time ago. No one is going to tell me that I am not going to like a movie, or not like it. I am an individual, and I can make up my own mind, thank you very much.

    I know, some of you are going to say, well don't read them then. But the problem is that a lot of people do read them, and take their word as gospel. Oh, if the LA Times Critic says this movie is bad, or stupid or whatever, then we shouldn't go see it. Believe it or not, there are people out there who hang on every word of these idiots, and will do what they are told. Sad. Everyone should be free to make up their own mind about these movies. I am a big Spiderman fan, and when I get the chance, I have every intention of seeing Spiderman 3. I will make up my own mind if it's a good, fair or bad movie, and if I post about it, it will be my opinion, and mine alone.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

    Thank You Poisonedapples

  2. #2

    • Mr. Faranheit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,515
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    The critics are there to serve the people that value their thoughts. If a movie is a questionable see on my part, I will listen to their opinions. Otherwise I will see the movies that I want to see and enjoy them on my own.
    Be controversial

    Be outspoken

    Be outrageous

    Just don't be boring

  3. #3

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cartoon Wasteland
    Posts
    4,828
    Blog Entries
    68

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    We're all movie critics at heart. Some just get paid for it.

    I enjoy reading reviews because I like to read other opinions. Do what the critics say influence what I see in the theaters or on DVD? Sometimes yes. Most of the time not.

    If I really want to see a movie, I'll see it regardless of what the critics say.

  4. #4

    • Knight that says Nee!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    2,647

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    But the problem is that a lot of people do read them, and take their word as gospel. Oh, if the LA Times Critic says this movie is bad, or stupid or whatever, then we shouldn't go see it. Believe it or not, there are people out there who hang on every word of these idiots, and will do what they are told. Sad.
    If people want to live like sheep then they will. I agree that it is sad, but it is a fact of life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    Everyone should be free to make up their own mind about these movies. I am a big Spiderman fan, and when I get the chance, I have every intention of seeing Spiderman 3. I will make up my own mind if it's a good, fair or bad movie, and if I post about it, it will be my opinion, and mine alone.
    Everyone IS free to make up their own mind. That freedom includes the option to let someone else make it up for them. As we both agree, that's sad, but that's how it is. If you choose to make your own mind up so much the better. Getting rid of "professional" film critics wont change the fact that a large part of any human population group will be full of followers rather than those who would rather see things for themselves before forming their opinion.

  5. #5

    • The Delicate Tinkerbell
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    226

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    I don't think so. Because movie critics don't really have a say as to whether or not a movie WILL succeed at the box office or not. It's just their own take on what they think. I don't go with movie critics because the movies they usually don't like, I end up loving, and the movies they LOVE I usually end up bored at.

    I go with what feedback I get from my friends, I think what they have to say is more reliable than what any Hollywood critic can bring to the table. Plus I value their opinion more.





  6. #6

    • Waiting for my E-Ticket
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota
    Posts
    19,613

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    I disagree with the critics 99.9999999999999% of the time. They never like the movies I like and vice versa. So I don't give a flying rat's patooie what they say half the time because it's my opinion that matters in the end.

  7. #7

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,256

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    I was just pondering this fact. Spiderman 3 came out and most of the critics (and a few fans and Mice Chatters) basically trashed the movie. But, it did box office wonders at the theaters. Shrek 3 came out and once again the critics hated it. But the fans love it and it made lot of money. Now Pirates 3 is opening and already the critics are showing their stupidity by saying the movie is too confusing for those who have not seen the first two. Is there anybody who has not seen the first two? Who would walk into a movie with the number 3 in the title and think that it would make sense? I am sure this movie will do just fine at the box office, and probably shatter a few records on it's journey. Next up is Harry Potter 5. The critics have almost universally hated the HP movies and I am sure this one will be no different. But the fans love the movies, for the most part. I am also sure this movie will blast the box office.

    The studios are only interested in making a profit. They will do that on all these movies this year. Do you actually read and listen to these so called "Critics". If you are a Johnny Depp and Pirates fan, if a critic says this movie is too confusing, too long, doesn't make sense, etc., will this keep you from seeing the movie? I think not. So why do these people still get paid to do this no meaningful job? If newspapers are so tight for money, this is one job that could go away and never be missed. Same for the dumb TV Critics. They don't have a clue either. I stopped watching them a long time ago. No one is going to tell me that I am not going to like a movie, or not like it. I am an individual, and I can make up my own mind, thank you very much.

    I know, some of you are going to say, well don't read them then. But the problem is that a lot of people do read them, and take their word as gospel. Oh, if the LA Times Critic says this movie is bad, or stupid or whatever, then we shouldn't go see it. Believe it or not, there are people out there who hang on every word of these idiots, and will do what they are told. Sad. Everyone should be free to make up their own mind about these movies. I am a big Spiderman fan, and when I get the chance, I have every intention of seeing Spiderman 3. I will make up my own mind if it's a good, fair or bad movie, and if I post about it, it will be my opinion, and mine alone.
    So, first you complain that people ignore the critics (critics say it's bad, but people go see the movie anyway), and then you complain that people follow what the critics say.
    Make up your mind!!

    Personally, I don't like to spend money on something I don't know anything about, much less do that once a week (as I did when I was a teenager on dates with other things on my mind besides the quality of the movie being shown). For the most part, critics help me determine WHEN I will see a movie, and in what format -- theater, borrowed DVD, HBO, or basic cable.
    I plan to see the following movies in the theater, regardless of critic reviews:
    POTC3
    HP5
    Simpsons
    Ratatouille

    I plan to see Waitress, based on reviews. I wouldn't have otherwise.

    Are critics necessary to keep the world spinning on its axis and revolving around the sun at this near-perfect distance? No. Are they helpful in determining my finite spending choices? Sure. Then again, I don't see a movie just because everyone else has seen it. I need to be blown out of my seat.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  8. #8

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,256

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    Next up is Harry Potter 5. The critics have almost universally hated the HP movies and I am sure this one will be no different. But the fans love the movies, for the most part. I am also sure this movie will blast the box office.
    According to Rotten Tomatoes web site:
    HP1: 78%
    HP2: 82%
    HP3: 88%
    HP4: 89%
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    A state of happy whimsy.
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    I've been thinking that critics are facing their demise for a while now. There has been a string of films released in the past year that were just blown out of the water by the critics but went on to blow the box office out of the water in turn. I think they've evolved to a point where they're no longer writing because they love movies or want to share critiques. I honestly think they've become a sub-industry of self important blowhards who see films as existing for their (the critics') benefit and write simply to show the world how deep and cerebral they are. I don't even look to see what critics have to say at all anymore. If a trailer or good word of mouth gets me interested, then I'll see a film. But to the critics I turn a deaf ear.

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    142

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    The problem with most movie critics is their opinions don't reflect that of the American public.


    Have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day!

  11. #11

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    North Bay, CA
    Posts
    1,611

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    You seem to be confusing critical success with box office success. Just because lots of people go to a particular film, doesn't mean the film is all that great. It might not even be that well done, but folks may still go and enjoy it. In theory, a critic is meant to assess the film on artistic merits, or even entertainment value, they aren't really trying to offer the chances of financial success. McDonalds makes food that is generally awful for you, poorly made from a culinary perspective, yet they sell millions of meals a day. You rarely see a food review for McDonalds because it's generally agreed, it's not really that kind of food. Perhaps the person that said critics are on their way to being obsolete may be closer than he thinks, given that many of the films are made with artisit merit that matches McDonalds care for cuisine.

    That isn't to say that I don't enjoy a great number of films that the critics loathe, and visa versa, and that many of those entertaining films still have great artistic merit in technique, but not in overall execution.

    I just hope I enjoy At World's End, because I'm relatively certain that critics are going to not review it well and scare some folks away.

  12. #12

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,256

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lover 68 View Post
    I just hope I enjoy At World's End, because I'm relatively certain that critics are going to not review it well and scare some folks away.
    The only thing scaring me away (from a Thursday night showing with my family) is the length at 2:48, which is too late for me to risk my youngest falling asleep during it or during school the next day.
    Going Saturday morning instead.
    The length will also affect box office receipts somewhat. JHM might consider it a disappointment if it doesn't beat Shrek3's first weekend number.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  13. #13

    • Knight that says Nee!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    2,647

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    I agree with PL68...big box office earnings do not mean the film was good or well made. It means the advertisement for the film was good enough to get lots of folks to buy tickets and go see it.

    It is a tough thing though. One of the reasons I started writing reviews and posting them on Rotten Tomatoes (aside from it being a fun hobby) is because so often (especially with Horror/SciFi/Fantasy genre movies) the critics hammered the film and turned their noses up and yet my friends and I found the film really entertaining.

    PL68 is right though...a "professional" critic is supposed to have at least some kind of film or artistic background and reviews a film based on how it is put together artistically. Rather than get rid of film critics, perhaps they should adapt their criteria to take into account some fun and entertainment factors rather than the great use of a particular camera angle. Who knows.

  14. #14

    • Progressive Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    I have to say as someone who sees A LOT of movies at the theater (over 30 this year so far), the critics are usually right.

    I usually go to something like Yahoo and look at what a collective group of major critics have to say about a films and often -- collectively -- they are spot on. Sure one or two might be overly-praising or too harsh, but quite often a consensus about a film is often how I also end up feeling about a film. Half of the time, I don't read reviews and find out afterwards that I agree with them.

    "Spider-Man 3" and "Shrek 3" were both hugely disappointing and the critics got it right. Just because a movie makes a lot of money doesn't mean that it's any good.

    For movies like these -- and Pirates as well -- people want to find out for themselves no matter what the critics say. So, even if they are all disappointments, they make tons money due to curiousity -- not quality.

    I look at something like "Night At The Museum" and see how it made well over $100 million and it was just brutal. But parents take their kids to films like that so it often gives a false perception that a film is good because it makes a killing at the box office.

    Look at the Academy Awards; most of the nominated films are great in quality, critically acclaimed and quite often don't make squat at the box office because those films aren't made with the sole intention of entertaining people. Does the fact that they don't each make $100 million mean they aren't any good?
    Last edited by KISSman; 05-24-2007 at 05:31 PM.

  15. #15

    • Behind the refurb walls..
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    7,925
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Movie Critics, are they really necessary?

    It was the same with the critics and the broadway show Wicked. Many weren't enthralled with the show, but it's sold out every day, makes over a million a week, and the people love it.






    ~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How Accurate are the Critics?
    By techskip in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 02:51 PM
  2. [Question] Street Party, are we fair critics?
    By Kidgenie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 04-06-2009, 10:19 PM
  3. Critics Draw Criticism for Promoting New ABC Shows
    By disneytim in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 08:35 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 07:09 PM
  5. Iger answers critics- CNN.com- 5/12/05
    By dramaqueen in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 12:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •