100 Movie Quotes: America's Greatest Quips, Comebacks and Catchphrases

The complete list of 100 Movie Quotes: America's Greatest Quips, Comebacks and Catchphrases can be viewed at www.afi.com.

Here's a rundown of the top 25 most memorable movie quotes as determined by the AFI:

1. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone with the Wind, 1939
    2. "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." The Godfather, 1972
    3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." On the Waterfront, 1954
    4. "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." The Wizard of Oz, 1939
    5. "Here's looking at you, kid." Casablanca, 1942
    6. "Go ahead, make my day." Sudden Impact, 1983
    7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." Sunset Boulevard., 1950
    8. "May the Force be with you." Star Wars, 1977
    9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." All About Eve, 1950
    10. "You talking to me?" Taxi Driver, 1976
    11. "What we've got here is failure to communicate." Cool Hand Luke, 1967
    12. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Apocalypse Now, 1979
    13. "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Love Story, 1970
    14. "The stuff that dreams are made of." The Maltese Falcon, 1941
    15. "E.T. phone home." E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, 1982
    16. "They call me Mister Tibbs!" In the Heat of the Night, 1967
    17. "Rosebud." Citizen Kane, 1941
    18. "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" White Heat, 1949
    19. "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Network, 1976
    20. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." Casablanca, 1942
    21. "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti." The Silence of the Lambs, 1991
    22. "Bond. James Bond." Dr. No, 1962
    23. "There's no place like home." The Wizard of Oz, 1939
    24. "I am big! It's the pictures that got small." Sunset Boulevard, 1950
    25. "Show me the money!" Jerry Maguire, 1996

I use these daily... :devil:

• Best Buds

The only one I really have a problem with is no. 13 -- the quote from Love Story. When the movie came out that quote was all over the place. However, as the years have gone on it has lost its context and impact. it now seems to just make people cringe when you quote it. Heck, even Ryan O'Neal made fun of it in "What's Up, Doc?"
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

^ I have always thought that was the DUMBEST quote ever. But it did make an impact, people remember it and are still quoting it many years later. So I don't disagree with it being on the list.

I thought overall they did a great job. It was amazing to me that I had heard all but 1 quote out of the 100, but seen maybe a third of the movies. I recorded it last night and plan to watch it again later because it was so great!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• șoș Tom șoș

I am honestly surprised none of the Terminator quotes made it up there in the top 25, I am sure they made the list but honestly "Asta La Vista baby." and "I'll be back" have held strong culturaly since Terminator 2.

I do love that 2 of the top 3 quotes were from Marlin Brando- just goes to prove that decent dialogue in the hands of a gifted actor can become amazing dialogue.

• Senior Minion

Im surpised that only ONE of the Star Wars Quotes made it up there. "May the Force be with you" did.

"Luke, I am your Father" didn't or any others.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• șoș Tom șoș

^ What about Indy? "I hate snakes" Did anyone else see the lifetime achievement award that AFI presented George Lucas on Monday night? Best part of the night was when Harrison Ford blandly explained how he landed the role of Indy. Then pointed out how orginally it was supposed to goto to Tom Selleck but that the producer of the Magnum PI was in the casting room with them and shot them down. Harrison leaped off the stage and hugged the man and kissed his face before racing back to the stage and called the man the "accidental architect of his career." and sarcastically thanked George too!