• Banned User

The Starter Wife

Is anyone planning on watching The Starter Wife tonight on USA?

I saw Debra Messing on The View this morning talking about it, and it looks really cute. She's in it, along with Judy Davis and Anika Noni Rose from Dreamgirls. They were saying it's kind of like Sex and the City-ish, but I believe it's based on a book. Anyone else see that?

•   
    • Proud Nerdist

Re: The Starter Wife

Quote Originally Posted by clairebear View Post
    Is anyone planning on watching The Starter Wife tonight on USA?

I saw Debra Messing on The View this morning talking about it, and it looks really cute. She's in it, along with Judy Davis and Anika Noni Rose from Dreamgirls. They were saying it's kind of like Sex and the City-ish, but I believe it's based on a book. Anyone else see that?
    My understanding it's based on a book written by producer Brian Grazer wife (apparently inspired during a period they were separated before reconciling)

The only review I read said Messing was absolutely great but that the story's biggest problem was that it's essentionally a riches-to-riches story, as in most divorced folks (male or female) don't end up in beachfront malibu estates, and since most divorcing folks have to deal with both the emotional and financial changes, they took out one of the big componets. The reviewer indicated it's a bit heavy on the I am woman hear me whine thing.

But still sounds like a paperback page-turner in mini-series form and it's probably fun. Sounds like those old Judith Krantz mini sereis from the 80's and it's actually nice to see the mini-series make a bit of a comeback.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I used to love those Juditz Krantz mini-series, well all those 80's mini-series I remember two of my faves, one was a Krantz one Dazzle and the other wasn't Rich Men Single Women. I have both the books too.

I plan on checking out the show.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Man O Lantern

I really loved the book. Perfect summer reading. No, I won't be watching though.

Gigi Levangie Grazer is a fun writer--check her out! http://www.gigigrazer.com/

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I forgot. Dammit

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Banned User

If anyone missed it an wanted to check it out, it's rerunning a couple of times on USA tomorrow!

I watched it - I thought it was actually pretty good. I like the hot beach guy, and I like whatever might happen between him and Molly. The story was pretty dramatic, but it definitely has its fun moments too. I geuinely liked Molly and her friends.

All in all, I'm looking forward to next week, especially since it definitely left a couple big questions hanging at the end!

Did anyone else watch?

I LOVED it!!!!
    My best friend and I were running backand forth during the commercials to our Messenger to comment. I guess next week we will have to have a Starter Wife Party!
    I'm a fan of the Hot Guy too, but didn't understand what happened with Lou...Did he kill himself at the end? That is what it looked like to me...
    I love USA though. They never dissappoint with their summer programming!
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

It was okay... Rthe only character i really like was Lou... and he might be dead. there goes that! The stranger on the beach - eh. Their conversations seemed so stilted and fake. I guess I'll see how it is next week.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I'm glad you said it was a miniseries....the commercials confused me (doesn't take much).....and after watching last night...I was like.....what the heck??? THAT'S how it ends????? Did I miss something?

obviously, I did......the fact that it was a miniseries

• Banned User

Do you guys think that Lou will be okay or that he really killed himself?

I watched a little bit of one of the reairings again over the weekend, and I was thinking about it - and Debra Messing really did a good job playing Molly. I really liked the character - she seemed normal despite all the "Hollywood" stuff, and she seemed like someone I'd like in real life. I liked that Messing gave the character a lot of layers and that she wasn't overthe top or shrill. I loved her flirting with Lou and Sam the beach guy, and I thought her friendship with the security guard was especially great.

Also, I couldnt believe that her friend (one of her really good friends apparently) would be so willing to drop her like that, because her guy said to! I was shocked.

So, yeah, I am totally looking forward to this week's installment!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

I watched it, liked it and am looking forward to the next episode. (that's the short version)

(long version)
    I watched this last night finally and count me as one who liked it. It started slow and there are too many characters who are not making sense to me yet, but by the end I really liked it. I found myself noticing that it was at the 1:48 point when I was FF'ing thru the commercials and was blown away that it was nearly over. The second hour was definitely faster. I did find myself a little sad about Lou, but not entirely because they didn't define his character enough to make me care THAT much. I hope like heck that they take the time to develop the characters more or something! Like the part where Lavendar (Anika Rose) went to her apartment and had the confrontation with the sleezy manager wasn't really necessary for story development in my opinion. Also, who are all those people living with Cricket? I felt like I missed something there. I actually thought for a minute there that her hubby was doing the commune thing but that all the women were his!

I'll keep watching - I put it on a series recording for my DVR, but I've cancelled those before!
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

The women w/cricket are her nannies - it seems like her kids are adopted and they each have a nanny from the child's birth country? I think it seemed that way? Because the one her husband thought was her... I think
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...