Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Angry PBS Kids - Where has all the quality gone?

Sitting here this morning. It's pledge time so the local PBS station is showing a documentary on The Electric Company. I am definitely not old enough to remember seeing it at all. However I am definitely impressed with what I am seeing.

We pay money (both tax dollars and pledge money) for Public Television. Why can't we get quality educational programming for our kids today. I am willing to bet if you put old episodes of Sesame Street, Mister Roger's Neighborhood, The Electric Company, Reading Rainbow, Captain Kangaroo, 3-2-1 Contact, Newton's Apple, etc our kids would learn more than watching the current crop they call children's educational TV. The only show worth its salt is Between The Lions as it takes some of the old concepts and updates them (words on the screen as they are being read, etc)I say put young children in a group. Have some of them watch this week's episodes of Sesame Street and another group watching the episodes from this week in 1987 and I am willing to bet the farm that the kids would learn more, and have much more fun by watching the re-runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: PBS Kids - Where has all the quality gone?

I used to watch Electric Company and Mister Rodgers Neighborhood when I was a kid in the early/mid 1970's. I also watched New Zoo Revue. Reading that you are 'not old enough to remember them' makes me feel old...HA Funny thing - I actually didn't like "Sesame Street" as a kid. I remember turning the TV off or telling my Mom that I didn't like that show. I'm still not a big fan - course I quite a bit older too. However, I love The Muppets. Go figure.

I have to agree with you. There's alot of junk out there......and not just in the 'childrens public television realm'.

• Pilot EdForceOne

the shows my kids watch have plenty of educational content in them.

teaching counting, languages, social interaction, right/wrong, letters, etc. I'm not sure what you complaining about specifically.

arthur, clifford, cailou, etc focus on social interactions, right/wrong, etc
    cyberchase, SS, dora, etc focus more on the counting, languages, etc.

Most of the PBS shows focus more on the first catagory, but there is plenty of shows on TLC, Nick, and others in the morning.

• They wanna know, HO!

I just want them to bring back "Where In The World Is Carmen Sandeigo?"...

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=81wmaHj8S4I[/YOUTUBE]
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Most of the current line-up of PBS KIDS features just as much award-winning and influential programming as the Disney Channel, Nick Kids, Discovery Channel, etc.
    Watching it and them with actual target-age children makes a big difference in experiencing their educational impact and entertainment content.

BTW - PBS KIDS programming has the most nominations for this year's Daytime EMMY Awards to be presented on June 15.

http://www.emmyonline.org/mediacente..._kid_noms.html
    http://www.parents-choice.org/
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Curiouser and Curiouser

Quote Originally Posted by testtrack321 View Post

http://youtube.com/watch?v=81wmaHj8S4I

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper View Post
    I am willing to bet if you put old episodes of Sesame Street, Mister Roger's Neighborhood, The Electric Company, Reading Rainbow, Captain Kangaroo, 3-2-1 Contact, Newton's Apple, etc our kids would learn more than watching the current crop they call children's educational TV. The only show worth its salt is Between The Lions as it takes some of the old concepts and updates them (words on the screen as they are being read, etc)
    These are the shows my daughter (and me too ) watched back in the late 80's. At that time when she was a toddler up until Kindergarten age and a little beyond those shows were about the only ones I let her watch. And she loved them. Me too. I'll also remember that when she was about 9 months old and the intro to 3-2-1 Contact came on they showed a quick clip of a frog darting out his tongue and she would laugh and laugh. We watched Reading Rainbow for years. We also liked Where In The World Is Carmen Sandeigo. Good shows, good memories. I have no clue other than Sesame Street and Between The Lions what is on PBS for children now days. From this thread, it doesn't good though.

• Colorful

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    the shows my kids watch have plenty of educational content in them.

teaching counting, languages, social interaction, right/wrong, letters, etc. I'm not sure what you complaining about specifically.

arthur, clifford, cailou, etc focus on social interactions, right/wrong, etc
    cyberchase, SS, dora, etc focus more on the counting, languages, etc.

Most of the PBS shows focus more on the first catagory, but there is plenty of shows on TLC, Nick, and others in the morning.
    I understand where you are coming from.

-I have no problem with Dora...cause it is not on PBS. In fact I think it wouild fit PBS well.

-I forgot about Cyberchase...good show....and great learning tool for Math skills.

-I understand the Social interaction. However Social Interaction and right/wrong can be presented while teaching basics. The examples I gave did both at the same time without dumbing things down.

-I don't mean to say that the shows on PBS now are bad, cause they aren't. they just teach less of the basics (most shows anyway). Learning proper social interaction skills are fine and dandy but our educational culture has overdone it. It seems to me that young children come into Preschool/Kindergraten knowing less basic skills than I did at their age.

-Also I will admit I am biased towards the programming I grew up with and learned from as a child.
    Last edited by BDBopper; 06-02-2007 at 10:37 AM.

• Colorful

Quote Originally Posted by testtrack321 View Post
    I would have mentioned this one however the geographical data has changed. However I do think this franchise should be brought back. A great show!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Man I miss The Electric Company. That was the "cool kids" version of Sesame Street.

• My prices are INSANE!

Here's a classic from Sesame Street.

Enjoy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muiPQ8Iwtzs[/youtube]
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Mika's my dream guy!

I think that PBS has fallen behind Disney and Nick Jr. in educational programming for children. Nick Jr. has the Wonderpets, Blues Clues, Max and Ruby, the Backyardigans, Wonderpets, Wow! Wow! Wuzzby, and more. Disney has the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and other Disney character shows. PBS has a much shorter list including shows like Cyberchase and Between the Lions. I just feel Nick Jr. and Disney have reached out to a younger audience more than PBS, and that's why they're not doing as well.
    Gotta be green

Gotta be mean

Gotta be everything more

Why don't you like me?

Why don't you like me?

WHY DON'T YOU WALK OUT THE DOOR?!

Official Mika Lover <3

• Man O Lantern

I don't think every PBS station shows the same line-up of kids' programming. I know that we love our PBS children's programming. We don't have cable, and when we're in a hotel with cable and I see Nick Jr. and the Disney Channel, I want to pull my hair out and scream.

PBS programming tends to be more subtle, it's not so loud and in your face like the cable channels. My kids love the shows and I find them to be mostly educational.

I don't want my kids learning from TV anyway. It's my job to teach them, isn't it?

• Colorful

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I don't think every PBS station shows the same line-up of kids' programming. I know that we love our PBS children's programming. We don't have cable, and when we're in a hotel with cable and I see Nick Jr. and the Disney Channel, I want to pull my hair out and scream.

PBS programming tends to be more subtle, it's not so loud and in your face like the cable channels. My kids love the shows and I find them to be mostly educational.

I don't want my kids learning from TV anyway. It's my job to teach them, isn't it?
    That's a good point and quite valid. However back when I was in school the shows on PBS were good enough that my teachers used them as supplemental material. Anyone remember The Letter People? In Kindergarten each week we did the letter that the local PBS affiliate was showing the episode for. In 1st Grade we'd read the books on Reading Rainbow. In 4th Grade we watched and played alone with Carmen Sandiego.

Another point is the original premise behind Sesame Street and The Electric Company. Both shows were aimed at children in urban areas in homes that both parents had to work (thus less time to teach stuff to their kids). At least that is how I understand it.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Must we enable Bold on every post??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast