• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

"The Wiggles" between aisle 10 and frozen foods

Whither the Wiggles Next? Look in the Supermarket Aisles

June 04, 2007
    Brandweek
    By Becky Ebenkamp

LOS ANGELES -- The Wiggles may soon be "entertaining" at a supermarket near you.

The über-popular children's singing group's licensing duties have wiggled their way over to Big Tent Entertainment, New York. The company now will serve as the North American marketing and licensing agent for preschool properties. Among the agency's first tasks will be aligning the band with foods, which could include beverages, puddings, whole grain cereals, fruit cups and other healthy snacks.

"If you look at the Wiggles songs, a lot of them are about eating and drinking," said Rich Collins, CEO at Big Tent. "We thought, '[The show is about] activity, eating well—we saw a perfect connection with healthy eating."

As part of the strategy, Big Tent will narrow the licensing program to two key categories. Aside from food, toys will continue to be a major focus for the Wiggles.

The Australian-based group, formed in 1991, has sparked a Beatlemania-type phenomenon for babies and parents, who find them more palatable than such characters as Barney.

"The power of the Wiggles is simplicity—you don't have to over-think it," said Collins. "We felt there were too many products in too many categories. Our idea was to trim back licensees and find the core categories that are long-term for the brand."

Previously, the Wiggles licensing was handled by Hit Entertainment, New York.

Big Tent is in discussion with several potential partners for playthings that incorporate music and education.

The group will soon open branded Wiggles World family areas at Six Flags theme parks across the United States. They will include rides, food courts and, of course, a concert stage where the band will make guest appearances.

In addition, Wiggly Centers party and play places are expected to pop up across the country. They will compete with Gymboree activity centers. The first will open in Dallas this year and the plan is to grow nationally as a franchised operation.

The Wiggles show currently airs on the Disney Channel's Playhouse Disney preschool block. The show's contract was just renewed for five years.
    http://www.brandweek.com/bw/news/foo..._id=1003593337

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Re: "The Wiggles" between aisle 10 and frozen foods

I'm glad to see that about the renewal. I've noticed some slightly increased promotion for the Wiggles on Playhouse Disney.

For a while they were heavily promoting the Doodlebops and I was concerned that they were going to eventually "replace" the Wiggles and let that agreement expire. Personally, I'm not a big Doodlebops fan and I really like the Wiggles.

But how sad is it that I care this much about preschool entertainment?
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

You should be the new Greg!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

^^Believe me, I would love that job. I'd have to work on my Aussie accent though!
    --John Lasseter

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1 View Post
    But how sad is it that I care this much about preschool entertainment?
    It isn't that sad really, nor is it surprising to me... Your empassioned pleas in regard to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse spoke volumes to this end...

The Wiggles is stilll a bit of a quandry to me as they are contracted to be promoted at Six Flags Theme Parks... So there is very little hope for some synergistic cross promotions...
    Check out my other blog:

^^Ha! Well, I guess I can hide behind my own preschoolers as an excuse!

But you're right, Disney has always been limited in how they can capitalize on the Wiggles since they are not a "wholly owned" property. But it's still better than letting them sign with Nickelodeon or something like that. I noticed on my last trip they did sell Wiggles merchandise at Disney-MGM by the Playhouse Live! Theater. I suppose they'll still be able to make their annual appearance at Disney-MGM as part of the "Magical Beginnings" promotion in the fall?
    --John Lasseter

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Doopey1 View Post
    I suppose they'll still be able to make their annual appearance at Disney-MGM as part of the "Magical Beginnings" promotion in the fall?
    What? No fight scene between Jack Sparrow and Captain Feathersword!

I wonder who would win...

Check out my other blog: