Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Welcome to the world of DARK SHADOWS!

"Barnabas Collins... a cousin from England."

For those of you who don't know...
    Dark Shadows was a hit television show that ran daily back from 1966-1971.

It featured vampires, witches, werewolves, and ghosts. The main character on the series was Barnabas Collins, a reluctant vampire, played by Jonathan Frid. The series also featured Joan Bennett, David Selby, Kate Jackson, Kathryn Leigh Scott, among others who all joined in on the terror that cursed the Collins' estate.

The show actually ran for 1,225 episodes. I was just wondering who else has heard of the show, or is a fan on Mice Chat.

I know that Not Afraid mentioned that it was a favorite show at the age of seven. So who else is entranced by the world of mystery, terror, and intrigue? Anyone?

Share your thoughts...

*edited to correct typos

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    Great show. I wasn't allowed to watch it when I was a kid, but I still knew what it was about and was always intrigued by it.

There was a remake in the early 90's with Ben Cross as Barnabas. I watched it regularly, but I guess it didn't really catch on.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• IZTUAZU!!!

I only saw a few episodes of the original on SciFi a while back.

I enjoyed the remake when it came out. Too bad it didn't last, I thought it was well put together.
    J.B. Opie

"Doubt is the rust of a feeble mind. The only way to seize the future is to grasp the present. Let's Go!"

-Chairman Clench, Alien Encounter

• Gay Man

My friends and I used to go into the "TV Room" armed with protective pillows (to cover our faces at the appropriate moments) and watch Dark Shadows whenever we could. My Mormon friend's Mom wouldn't let her watch it, so we would be sleuth about it. My Fundie parents didn't know what evil was influencing their sweet little daughter. :devil:

I wonder if I'd still love it if I saw it today. I still love all of my other "Spooky" favorites - Bewitched, The Munsters, The Adams Family. But, would DS hold up? Dum dum dum.......

• My cuties!

My sister and I loved watching that show!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    There was a remake in the early 90's with Ben Cross as Barnabas. I watched it regularly, but I guess it didn't really catch on.
    I absolutely loved the remake! Even though it only lasted 12 episodes or so, it was well done. The stories moved a little quickly, but, it was still done quite well and professionally. It started off as a TV movie, but then NBC wanted to expand it into an entire series. Due to its constant re-scheduling because of the Gulf War, NBC cancelled it.

Dan Curtis, producer, wanted to re-do it again, and was almost successful in 2004 (with John Wells), with the WB tv station. Everything was going along quite well on the project, until they had to bring a new director in. PJ Hogan was brought in to direct the pilot episode. The network didn’t like what they saw and decided not to put it on their fall lineup. Some of the changes to the show I found to be objectionable at first, like the actress with short blonde hair playing Victoria Winters, the radiant governess that is supposed to be a re-incarnation of Josette DuPres. Viewers of the first three incarnations (the original, the film(s), and the remake) all had been used to long flowing dark hair for the character of Josette and the person she was to be reincarnated in (whether it be Vicki or Maggie). But after a while I got used to the idea of some creative changes. I really would have liked to have seen what it would have turned out like, but we’ll never know.

Right now, several magazines state that the idea of a motion picture has entered the mind of Curtis, but nothing ever is really certain, and is always in the Shadows… when it comes to the cursed world of Barnabas Collins.

The music on the show (in all of its incarnations) was done by Bob Cobert, he was to also do the music for the new series. I loved the music, especially “Josette’s Music Box”, “Shadows of the Night”, and the opening title music. Anybody else intrigued by that factor?

It’s great to know that so many MiceChatters are fans of the television show that never seems to die…

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding
    The music on the show (in all of its incarnations) was done by Bob Cobert, he was to also do the music for the new series. I loved the music, especially “Josette’s Music Box”, “Shadows of the Night”, and the opening title music. Anybody else intrigued by that factor?
    The only music I remember is the theme song, which is one of my favorite creepy tunes at Halloween.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    The only music I remember is the theme song, which is one of my favorite creepy tunes at Halloween.
    On Halloween Night, when I am out there frightening (and feeding lol) the Trick-or-Treaters, I always have the spooky pipe organ music playing in the background. There is a version of the theme song on the CD that I have that is one of the coolest that I've heard... all in eerie Tocatta style.

But my favorite version of the theme song is the one done for the 1991 remake. It was beautifully done and orchestrated. Here's to you Mr. Cobert!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries
    I'm too young for the original, but my friend and I loved the remake. i'm not sure why - we weren't into vampires and I don't like being scared - but we loved it. I have caught a few eps of tohe original and liked that.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Minion

I got hooked on the show in high school when a local station ran the syndicated reruns. I still love it. Great plots and fun characters - - all so over-the-top. The 1700's Barnabas "origin" story, with Angelique and Josette, is my favorite arc.

The first film, "House of Dark Shadows," is a lot of fun too.

• ºoº Tom ºoº

This show is poised to make a return to television this fall but I can't remember which network was going to pick it up.

• Social Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid
    I wonder if I'd still love it if I saw it today.
    Hmmm, don't think so.

I loved the show as a kid, but I didn't think it stood the test of time when I caught some re-runs a few years back. I was slathering for it - as Dark Shadows was one of my favorite lost tv shows from my childhood that never really ran in popular syndication. Alas, like many of the shows I liked as a kid, Dark Shadows was near unwatchable as an adult (imho).

• Minion

I've seen the original, but don't remember how often since I was little. I haven't seen it lately or the remake, but I know I liked it way back when!

• Minion

I watch very little TV but Dark Shadows struck a nerve with me when it was first broadcast. It was a breath of fresh air to daytime programming. My job had me off work and home early enough so that I could watch it every day from 4 - 4:30 in LA.

It was such a hoot with flubbed lines and sometimes the sets would quiver and fall apart. Joan Bennett, Grayson Hall and Jonathon Frid were my favorites performers in it. Grayson Hall gave a wonderful performance as the repressed Lesbian in the film version of Night of the Iguana in the mid 60s.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    It was such a hoot with flubbed lines and sometimes the sets would quiver and fall apart. Joan Bennett, Grayson Hall and Jonathan Frid were my favorites performers in it.
    I agree. I think that the flubbed lines are part of the charm of the original. The remake didn't have any of that, but since it was so well done it covered up for that missing factor.

My favorite performers (of the original) were (from most favorite)

1) Joan Bennett (Elizabeth Stoddard)
    2) Jonathan Frid (Barnabas Collins)
    3) Grayson Hall (Dr. Julia Hoffman)
    4) Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie Evans/Josette)
    5) Alexandra Moltke (Victoria Winters)
    6) Lara Parker (Angelique)
    7) Donald Briscoe (Chris Jennings)
    8) David Selby (Quentin Collins)
    9) Dennis Patrick (Jason MacGuire)
    10) Louis Edmonds (Roger Collins)
    and
    11) Thayer David (Prof. T.E. Stokes)

They were all so perfect for their part...especially Joan and Grayson

In the remake my favorite actors/actresses were

1) Joanna Going as Victoria Winters
    2) Ben Cross as Barnabas Collins

As you can tell, I love this show, despite its flaws... :o I'm glad to know that there are so many MiceChatters that love it too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast