• I was deleted.

Disney So Renews 'Raven' - Discussion

The Disney Channel series, "That's So Raven" is the first one to go past the three year/75 episode limit (news here). Any thoughts, concerns, questions? Do you think this show has what it takes? Should others be extended too to continue with the popularity?

• The two women of my life

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    The Disney Channel series, "That's So Raven" is the first one to go past the three year/75 episode limit (news here). Any thoughts, concerns, questions? Do you think this show has what it takes? Should others be extended too to continue with the popularity?

Thank you for bringing this to our attention Ms. Bigpigletfan. I find this to be very interesting. My main question is this is why "That's so Raven"? While it is a decent show it isn't along the lines of shows like "Even Stevens", "Kim Possible" or even, as much as it pains me to say, "Lizzie Maguire". These show I think are more deserving of breaking the ages long tradition of the three year/ 75 show limit. The only positive thing I can think of with this is if it does continue to the 100 episode mark then it will be more shoppable for the syndication market and we could see it on non-Disney stations.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyman1973
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention Ms. Bigpigletfan. I find this to be very interesting. My main question is this is why "That's so Raven"? While it is a decent show it isn't along the lines of shows like "Even Stevens", "Kim Possible" or even, as much as it pains me to say, "Lizzie Maguire". These show I think are more deserving of breaking the ages long tradition of the three year/ 75 show limit. The only positive thing I can think of with this is if it does continue to the 100 episode mark then it will be more shoppable for the syndication market and we could see it on non-Disney stations.
    And do we really want to see Disney Channel shows on other stations? On ABC Family or ABC is one thing since they are owned by each other, but what about Nickeloden? It would also confuse the consumer and not help the brand at all.

My question is this-- why didn't they do this for the ever-so-popular Disney Afternoon shows? The shows that are now "classics" in Disney tv history such as: Ducktales, Talespin, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Gummi Bears, etc! Those are shows that helped keep the classic characters fresh and was how I fell in love with Chip'n Dale. Do kids even know who they are now? My issue is not whether or not "That's So Raven" is a good canidate to break this rule or not. Because the last thing we want is terrible programming to continue while entertaining shows such as Kim Possible and classic Disney channel cartoons fade.

And do we really want to see Disney Channel shows on other stations? On ABC Family or ABC is one thing since they are owned by each other, but what about Nickeloden? It would also confuse the consumer and not help the brand at all.

My question is this-- why didn't they do this for the ever-so-popular Disney Afternoon shows? The shows that are now "classics" in Disney tv history such as: Ducktales, Talespin, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Gummi Bears, etc! Those are shows that helped keep the classic characters fresh and was how I fell in love with Chip'n Dale. Do kids even know who they are now? My issue is not whether or not "That's So Raven" is a good canidate to break this rule or not. Because the last thing we want is terrible programming to continue while entertaining shows such as Kim Possible and classic Disney channel cartoons fade.
    Oh I agree with you. I rather see a longer continuation of better shows like "Kim Possible". I only brought the 100 episode/syndication point because it may be one of the reasons behind the decision to do so. As we know under the Eisner regime they all about the dollar.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyman1973
    Oh I agree with you. I rather see a longer continuation of better shows like "Kim Possible". I only brought the 100 episode/syndication point because it may be one of the reasons behind the decision to do so. As we know under the Eisner regime they all about the dollar.
    Exactly. Raven in my books is not terrible though. As I have said before she does bother me but she is okay (as long as she doesn't talk bad about Disney property while ON it in front of fans!) I am not exactly objecting to her show continuing, it is just the question of whether or not it should while Kim Possible ends. I hope that if Disney continues to keep certain shows for a longer duration they do so with the stronger, more popular shows. That is all.

Exactly. Raven in my books is not terrible though. As I have said before she does bother me but she is okay (as long as she doesn't talk bad about Disney property while ON it in front of fans!) I am not exactly objecting to her show continuing, it is just the question of whether or not it should while Kim Possible ends. I hope that if Disney continues to keep certain shows for a longer duration they do so with the stronger, more popular shows. That is all.

I hope so too. One thing I must say is the problem with keeping the "live" shows going past the three year mark is the kids do grow up. It shouldn't be a problem with the cartoons though. But like most things Disney only time will tell wheter or not they will keep better shows or not.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Raven isn't horrible but it's not much of a show. I mean, same thing happens every episode: she has a vision, tries to stop it with a disguise, usually has some misunderstanding, etc.

It is just so formulaic.

I laughed my butt off when I saw Kyle Massey from Raven is being in the next Disney Channel movie, Life is Ruff. He is so not fit for the part...

• Banned User

I wonder are they trying to prevent another Hillary duff... her show stopped.. then eventually they lost her....

they have been billing Raven as their next big star.. maybe they dont want to loose her too....

(Kim possable went out on top.. like it should.. they should never drag a good series.. and besides.. they could always do specials...)

•   
    • Minion

I don't think Raven is the draw so much as the Cheetah Girls are... I really don't care about Raven so much, and don't see the appeal... But there is something about singing, girls in their tweens, and the desire to be a star that is a draw to the imagination of many girls...

Of course if a boy has the same dreams... It is nothing but Judy Garland tunes and feather boas... Which in my humble opinion is steriotype is rather unfortunate... We always have to depict men as builders of society and not creators of art...
    Check out my other blog:

I can't think of any show/movie on Kids TV recently that has shown a boy trying to fulfill his dreams of being in showbiz. I think that your point on the stereotype is absoutely right.

The only attempt that DC has made was a movie about a year ago called Eddie's BakeOff - where the main character is a top baseball player, but he has a secret dream of being a chef. So he has to make a decision the play-offs or the bake-off. It was not as much as a stretch as a boy wanting to go into showbiz, but from what I have been told, DC did get letters from parents saying that DC was promoting a certain lifestyle...

• insufferable know-it-all

There's always Bobby in King of the Hill... but that's a grownups cartoon, really.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

I do love some Bobby Hill.... I find that show to have some incredibly writing...