Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Broadway shows... [updated] current trip report...

I'm heading to NYC for the first time in over ten years next week for NYC Pride. I want to catch up on some Broadway plays (musicals, comedies, dramas, whatever!), but don't know all the latest on what's playing. Any local (or otherwise) Broadway experts/fans care to make any recommendations? I heard "Spring Awakening" was good. I'm kind of iffy on "The Color Purple" (even though I loves me some Oprah). I heard "Pirate Queen" is good for kids (?). And I heard "Tarzan" sucks. I've seen enough of most of the "classics" and long-running shows. (Phantom, LeMiz, Beauty/Beast, Hairspray, Producers, etc.). Although I still haven't seen "Ave. Q" (is it still playing?) or "Spamalot", they're on my list. I did get to finally see "Wicked" in L.A. Fantastic!!

So here's the question: what are the top 3-5 "must see" Broadway shows currently running?

[EDIT: 6/20/07] I'm here! I'll be blogging about what I see on this thread...
    Last edited by DOOM BGI; 06-20-2007 at 01:42 PM.
    --Jonathan

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Re: Broadway shows... what's currently playing?

There have been good things said about Legally Blonde if you want to risk that. Mary Poppins would be good to see. The Color purple sounds amazing, so I wouldnt be iffy about it. I've heard pirate queen is very boring... and not a kids show... The Drowsy Chaperone seems to be a good show..

Here's a list of broadway shows:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/shows.cfm?page=shows

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Spamalot is fantastic! truly a hilarious show! I would also recommend Mary Poppins and the Drowsy Chaperone, as both of them are great as well. And although I have never seen Avenue Q, it's on my see list eventually, since my students rave about it every year.

As for the Pirate Queen, if you are interested (I thought it was just ok, nothing truly memorable, except the Irish step dancing) this might be the last time to see it as it closes in a week.

My recommendations:
    1-Spamalot
    2-Mary Poppins
    3-Drowsy Chaperone
    4-Avenue Q (since I have not seen it, it is lower than the others)

Let us know what you decided, and how things go in the city!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Padawan

Well, it's Pride weekend out here in L.A. and I was out watching the parade and enjoying the festival today. Coincidentally, there was a booth promoting the upcoming season at the Music Center, and they told me that Avenue Q and Color Purple are both coming to L.A. soon... which is pretty great news so I don't have to see them now.

I saw Mary Poppins last summer in London, and it is fantastic. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the suggestions... I'm making a list. Keep them coming!

Last edited by DOOM BGI; 06-11-2007 at 03:01 PM.
    --Jonathan

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Well it looks like Spring Awakening is sweeping the Tony awards tonight, for what it's worth.

Lu
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

• Feeling LOVED

Avenue Q!!!!! I highly recommend it!
    HEARTS CLUB !!

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

is little shop of horrors still playing anywhere? i love that movie, (the rick moranis one not the black in white that i've never seen)
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

If Dirty Rotten Scoundrals is still playing that one's pretty amazing (When I saw it Jonathan Price [aka Governor Swann from POTC] was in it!)

Spring Awakening won like 70 Tony's tonight... I haven't seen it though to tell you from experience.
    I personally really want to see Mary Poppins.

I dunno, I need a NYC fix soon myself (gonna have to make due w/ the Denver Little Mermaid preview in August ^_^)

• my two sunshines

Are you taking kids? Young, teen? Cause Spring Awakening wouldn't be for young kids - definately older teens to adult - it's about coming of age and finding out about love, bodies, etc.

Pirate Queen seems good - a cross between Pirates of Penzance and Les Mis

Color Purple - seems long long long - the movie was horrific

Mary Poppins - good for any age - wonderful soundtrack - I'm looking forward to seeing it when it comes out west

Spamalot is still playing but totally different cast

Avenue Q - love it but has some words that aren't for young kids - it isn't the muppets

Curtains looks really really good - old time Broadway

I think it's Broadway.com that would have all the shows or Playbill.com too

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    I'm heading to NYC for the first time in over ten years next week for NYC Pride. I want to catch up on some Broadway plays (musicals, comedies, dramas, whatever!), but don't know all the latest on what's playing. Any local (or otherwise) Broadway experts/fans care to make any recommendations? I heard "Spring Awakening" was good. I'm kind of iffy on "The Color Purple" (even though I loves me some Oprah). I heard "Pirate Queen" is good for kids (?). And I heard "Tarzan" sucks. I've seen enough of most of the "classics" and long-running shows. (Phantom, LeMiz, Beauty/Beast, Hairspray, Producers, etc.). Although I still haven't seen "Ave. Q" (is it still playing?) or "Spamalot", they're on my list. I did get to finally see "Wicked" in L.A. Fantastic!!

So here's the question: what are the top 3-5 "must see" Broadway shows currently running?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

If you have kids, I would recommend Mary Poppins. Especially cause this totally fantastic guy I know works on the show.

If I could see ANY show right now it would by far be Spring Awakening, but definitely a "no" for kids.

If Mary Poppins ever makes it's way out here, I will plan on taking my son for sure.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink View Post
    If you have kids, I would recommend Mary Poppins. Especially cause this totally fantastic guy I know works on the show.

that does make it a bonus, since I know a great guy who works on the show too.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Trac
    Are you taking kids?
    Nope, just me.

The friend I'm going to NYC with isn't really a Broadway show fan, so I think I'm going solo to most shows. Which is fine with me actually because I remember on my last trip how easy it is to get great seats to shows that are even "sold out" if you are only looking for one ticket; even right before the performance.
    --Jonathan

• Do you have a 27B/6?

Oh man, if I were heading to New York City, the first thing I'd do is get tickets to both "Spring Awakening" and "Grey Gardens." Those two seem to have the most buzz right now.

Have a good time!
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    that does make it a bonus, since I know a great guy who works on the show too.
    What a coincidence!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• my two sunshines

I'd say, because it's just you - and you like musical theatre - Grey Gardens (I forgot about that one - it seems so terrific), Spring Awakening (after last night I downloaded the songs they seem uber terrific) and Spamalot

If your looking for drama - I think Radio Days (It has Leiv Schriber and he is supposed to be wonderful) or I think it's called Talk Nixon

But then Off Broadway you see some undiscovered talent and then you can say 'I saw them when.....'

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    Nope, just me.

The friend I'm going to NYC with isn't really a Broadway show fan, so I think I'm going solo to most shows. Which is fine with me actually because I remember on my last trip how easy it is to get great seats to shows that are even "sold out" if you are only looking for one ticket; even right before the performance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast