• Former Epcot CM

Bjork, Baby, Bjork

I've never been a big fan of Bjork. I liked "It's Oh So Quiet" and "Army of Me", but you know. Never really bothered. I bought the Greatest Hits album today because it's been reduced because of all the hoopla over her new album, Volta, and took a chance. I'm glad I did. I am in looooove with her.

It's exactly the type of music I like. I was glad to see she works a lot with Nellee Hooper - I'm a big fan of his producing work, and count many artists among my favourites as ones he has worked with.

Yeah. So new artist added to my favourites list. Any albums or particular songs you would recommend? I've heard the whole Greatest Hits album now, and I've gotta say, "Hyperballad" moved me the most, followed by "It's In Our Hands". Love it.

Any other fans? Bar Chernabog, I've already PMed him professing my love!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Re: Bjork, Baby, Bjork

Many many many years ago hubby and I saw the Sugarcubes on Saturday Night Live. Very interesting indeed.....so different for the times that we bought their CD.
    "This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Individuality is a great thing....as long as we think alike.

• That Guy

I love the song with her and Thom Yorke. It's brilliant.

• e komo mai

I bet Chernabog will be part of this thread very soon.

(He loves her.)

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I love the song with her and Thom Yorke. It's brilliant.
    What song is that?
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    What song is that?
    The duet she sung with Thom Yorke is from the "Dancer in the Dark" movie entitled "I've Seen It All". In the movie she sings it with another actor, but the short album "Selmasongs" (the soundtrack to Dancer in the Dark) has the duet.

Incidentally, it is also the song she sung (solo) at the Academy Awards in the famous swan dress

I've been in love with Bjork since about 1997, in between her albums "Post" and "Homogenic" (the cover of which is my avatar). She is an artist that speaks to me directly -- no matter what mood I am in, or how I am feeling, there is always a song of hers that I can listen to and say "oh, THATS EXACTLY how I feel", or "that's exactly what I need to hear at this point in my life". Even when it is a song that I've heard a million times before, I continually get new meanings from it. To me, listening to her is oftentimes a spiritual experience.... that's why I love her so much.

As far as female vocalists go, I also like Tori Amos (tho her last 3 albums sucked) and Madonna and all those, but they just don't speak to me in quite the same way!!!

In any case, I am a rather large Bjork fan -- my room decorations consist of each of her album covers in poster format (and a mickey mouse clock) And I have every album and single she has ever released -- not to mention at least a dozen DVDs, box sets, etc. etc. For her past albums she usually released two hard-to-find singles per song with B-sides and remixes, so it was fun to collect for many years (now it is a lot easier thanks to the power of the Internet... but I'm all caught up anyway, lol)

I've seen her 4 times live (1998 Hollywood Palladium, 2001 Dorothy Chandler Pavillion, 2004 Hollywood Bowl, 2007 Shoreline Ampitheatre), and she ALWAYS puts on a magical experience. She only comes around to California once every 3-4 years, so I snap up tickets pretty fast. There's always something new and interesting she puts on stage -- I've seen her with a full orchestra and choir, or with an all-female brass section, or even with fire erupting from the stage and fireworks at the Hollywood Bowl. I've heard of one of her concerts where all of the beats were done by a man shuffling cards!

The best of the live DVDs is the one at the Royal Opera House (orchestra + choir), which incorporates everything up to her album Vespertine.

I sent a PM to Speedway about which albums to get in what order, which I'll reprint here:

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    But yeah the two songs you heard before (army of me and its oh so quiet) are from her album "Post", which is the album that got me personally into Bjork, so it's a good one to start with. Be sure you listen to the last track, "Headphones", wearing headphones because that's a pretty neat experience. (She does a lot of stereo tricks on all her albums so its good to listen to everything with headphones anyway).

My favorite of her albums though IMHO was her third solo release, the one that came after Post, called "Homogenic". It has the picture of her as the geisha on the front (i.e. my avatar) and is a freaking amazing experience. Very emotional songs. The basic concept of the album is "beats", "strings", "voice", and every song on that album is wonderful.

If I had to rank her albums in order of how much I like them, I'd say:

Homogenic
    Volta
    Medulla
    Debut
    Selmasongs (soundtrack to "Dancer in the Dark")
    Drawing Restraint 9

The only one I'd say "don't bother" to is DR9, since listening to it is lame without watching the video portion of it... and the video portion only comes around in theatres (it's an art piece done by her boyfriend, and not a Bjork work at all, she just did the soundtrack). All the rest are worth getting!
    Other releases that she has which are great (in addition to her albums with the Sugarcubes): "Gling-Glo", which is Bjork singing Jazz (some standards in there too), mostly in Icelandic and "Telegram", which is a remixed album of Post.

My favorite Bjork song out there is "Enjoy" (from Post) because it's just..... me.

And yes, there are a few that I don't really enjoy (like a track on Medulla where it sounds like they're torturing a dog).

I can go on endlessly about Bjork so I should stop now and get back to work, lol....
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• curiouser and curiouser

I really like Bjork, especially Homogenic, Vespertine and Medulla (Where is the line = one of the coolest songs ever). Although i have to say that i'm not sure what to think of Volta yet... maybe i just need to listen to it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    ...I've heard of one of her concerts where all of the beats were done by a man shuffling cards!
    This was done by one of the guys in Matmos. Very cool!

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tv6rzhZ83rk[/youtube]
    Last edited by DLcub; 06-12-2007 at 06:05 PM.

• curiouser and curiouser

what??
    Last edited by DLcub; 06-22-2007 at 01:25 PM.

• phbbbbbt

Now I gotta dig out my Sugarcubes tapes... I'll have Motorcrash in my head all day long if I don't!

I drove my college boyfriend crazy listening to the 'cubes. He just didn't get it. Bjork just rocks.
    xo, Deanna