• I was deleted.

Tourists abducted, Robbed at Downtown Disney

Tourists abducted, Robbed at Downtown Disney
    June 11, 2007

Two tourists were enjoying their first day of Walt Disney World vacation when just after midnight on Sunday a man in a black car called out to them in the Downtown Disney parking lot. The couple walked over to the car thinking they were just answering a simple question – that is where things became violent.

The Connecticut tourists, Justin Stetzer and Jessica DellaCamera, both 20, were held at gunpoint, forced inside the Volkswagen Jetta and driven around. Stetzer was ordered to withdraw money from an automated-teller machine.

After almost an hour the three suspects took the Stetzer and DellaCamera to a remote location near an Osceola County landfill, forced them out of the car and beat them.

It was then that the couple fought back causing the gun to discharge, which scared the suspects who panicked and fled the scene.

Stetzer and DellaCamera, who just thought they were at the end of a road walked to a nearby Kissimee home and called the Osceola County Sheriff's Office. With some cuts and bruises, the couple was not seriously injured.

The police are still searching for the suspects.

Disney spokeswoman Zoraya Suarez declined to say which resort the tourists were staying at or the length of their visit to Florida. Suarez did say Disney officials were working “to take care of their immediate needs.”

This incident Sunday is one in a number of several recent attacks to the Orlando tourist area.

Original Discussion thread: Two tourists abducted, robbed at Downtown Disney.
    More on the Story: Orlando Sentinel.

• Up is Down

Re: Tourists abducted, Robbed at Downtown Disney

thats scary!
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

You know, I used to want to make at least one trip to WDW, but now I'm not so sure. So much has happened in the last few weeks that I think I will just stick to Disneyland!

Police in Conneticut have already called the police in Florida and said they think there is more to the story. Might be these people are known to their local police and they are not buying the "I'm an innocent victom" bit. They could be con artists, or I think more likely put themselves in a situation that might have led to the robbery/assault. There is way to much security to make this area a good hunting ground, International Drive is a much better area if you want to commit this sort of crime. I'm guessing they were buying drugs and once they were away from Disney property the thugs took the opportunity to, well make some extra profit. They might even have had the idea these people wouldnt report the crime since they may have been breakng the law themselves. Lets see what comes of this.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Diva View Post
    You know, I used to want to make at least one trip to WDW, but now I'm not so sure. So much has happened in the last few weeks that I think I will just stick to Disneyland!

I will be making my 19th trip to Walt Disney World this October. I have never seen nor been a part of anything violent while I was at the parks or in surrounding areas. I always stay out late, too. With the amount of people that visit, there is bound to be some weird stuff like this.

WDW is safe!
    - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    I will be making my 19th trip to Walt Disney World this October. I have never seen nor been a part of anything violent while I was at the parks or in surrounding areas. I always stay out late, too. With the amount of people that visit, there is bound to be some weird stuff like this.

WDW is safe!
    Exactly! When one considers just how many people are on Disney Property at any given time it is amazing that so little crime does occur.

I'd bet that unless you live in a gated community, a visit to WDW is probably safer than staying home
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Diva View Post
    Sadly sometimes bad things happen. But that is everywhere. DL as well as WDW attract their share of freaks there to prey on the Tourists. Just stay where there is people, well lit areas, and always have someone know where you are, and all will be ok.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Hey it's that guy I am.

Sad Re: Tourists abducted, Robbed at Downtown Disney

Quote Originally Posted by svickersart View Post
    Police in Conneticut have already called the police in Florida and said they think there is more to the story. Might be these people are known to their local police and they are not buying the "I'm an innocent victom" bit. They could be con artists, or I think more likely put themselves in a situation that might have led to the robbery/assault. There is way to much security to make this area a good hunting ground, International Drive is a much better area if you want to commit this sort of crime. I'm guessing they were buying drugs and once they were away from Disney property the thugs took the opportunity to, well make some extra profit. They might even have had the idea these people wouldnt report the crime since they may have been breakng the law themselves. Lets see what comes of this.
    Steve

Ahhh, nothing like taking advantage of the kindness of people. Strange though I hope that this isn't the case. Both situations suck immensely.

• May the F=ma be with you

This is certainly not a random occurance.
    Taken from the original thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    From what I have been able to compile from the article and from what I have read on other sites, this may have been an unsuccesful drug deal (at least for the victims).

However, I can be wrong of course. I happen to be a very suspicious and scrutinizing person and I like to examine all the facts before I sympathize with a side.
    Apparentally, another news site is reporting what I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• I was deleted.

It is also important to take note that Downtown Disney is one area on Disney property that you can get into with OUT going through any security checks.

• I am number 4 of 999

I don't even take my debit/bank card on vacation with me!!
    I take my Disney Visa and my driver's license, and that's it!
    Everything else stays at home.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    I have never seen nor been a part of anything violent while I was at the parks or in surrounding areas.
    Violence is much worse at Disneyland..... we have AP soft-opening previews of attractions, after all.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!