• aerinpegadrak/DQ's sis

Ratatouille- my thoughts (spoilers hidden)

Alright well, to start off, I meant to post this last night, but we got home so late that all I could do was go to bed.

We got there about 5:30, with a line of about 30 people in front of us, so we were pretty hopeful about getting in. After awhile, the Myspace people came around and checked profiles and handed out wristbands and what not. We hung out on some steps into the theatre for a little while longer, then finally, they began letting us in. I was shocked that we were wand-ed on the way in. I figured they'd be super hardcore about cameras and what not, but i wasn't expecting something attributed to airport searches (but they had it down much faster then DIA, that's for sure). So we got in and got pretty decent seats, having to move about 4 times to make room for others. Then it was pretty sad, because the theatre filled up fast, and about 100 people didn't get in to see the movie. The myspace people found 2 chairs for a couple that had driven from New Mexico to see the show, but no sitting in the aisle and what not for those who really wanted to get in.

Spoiler
    So, the movie started with Brad Bird telling us that we were the first official audience screening (not us, per say, but all 3 cities). We then got a DVD feature, talking about all the comedians who provided the voices for the characters. After that, we got a single preview for WALL-E. It's was actually really cute, starting out with the directors in Hidden City Cafe coming up with most of the Pixar movies, and that the next one would be about a robot. Everyone was pretty excited about it, because it looked pretty cool. And the robot resembled the pilot in Star Tours... connection? After that, Lifted started. Oh my, was it fantastic! It was by far, my favorite short. It was hilarious, continuing in the Pixar tradition of no words, but still being funny. I was trying to think if I really liked it more then Geri's Game and Knick Knack... and I really do! I was pleased, and luckily, didn't feel stupid clapping with the rest of the audience (Nerdfest 2007, my fiance insisted.)

And finally, the movie started. I'm not going to give a lot of details, and I'm only putting this in the black box just in case nobody wants to know. It was amazing. I can't even really say what was so good about it. The plot was really cute, and there was a lot of references about other movies (one guy insisted on a tribute to Chris Farley... But I wasn't seeing it. Brian Dennehy played Remy's Dad, a motorbike in the movie was a Callahan, and Brian Dennehy also played Tommy Boy's dad, Thomas Callahan. I'm not sure if it was on purpose. But knowing Pixar, it might have been.) I think I was so busy looking for the usual Pixar sightings that I missed holding more of the plot in my mind.

Oh, but I have to squee a little about one scene. So when Remy comes up from the sewers via Gueateau's suggestion, he finds himself outside of the restaurant, and both are surprised where they find themselves. Remy goes inside after watching Linguini absolutely ruin a soup, and my goodness, the whole rest of this scene could have come directly out of a dark ride at DL. And I'm hoping it will be a ride at DL or WDW. It was almost like being on Mr. Toads or even Monsters a little. The angles of the shots, with the dramatic drops and almost misses and everything was great. It probably is almost as good, if not as good, as the door factory scene in Monsters.

Overall, this movie was one of the best Pixar has put out. I know that plenty of people didn't like Cars (even though I did), but this redeems itself in every way. Not only was it very cute, there were plenty of the classic Pixar jokes meant only for adults. If you don't like this movie, you are a little crazy, in my book. My boy and I are already planning on seeing it again. And there isn't anything cute after the credits, but man, are the credits worth sitting through. Very well done, I felt.

And it was nice to find out why the movie was called Ratatouille.

If you were sceptical about this movie, don't be. It's worth the trip to the movies to see. Well done, Brad Bird and Pixar.

Well, there you have it. My review of the latest Pixar movie.

Now I'm going to do some Remy inspired cooking....

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Ratatouille- my thoughts (spoilers hidden)

I have a friend who met Brad Bird. He apparently always has a note pad on hand, just in case a new idea comes to mind. Basic, quirky genius.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• back to WDW in January

nice review, thanks for posting

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the movie for myself.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Without spoiling, can you say if you liked it or not?
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• back to WDW in January

Laughingplace.com recently posted lots of Ratatouille media
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 06-16-2007 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Removal of Hotlink

• aerinpegadrak/DQ's sis

I like it alot. It's really good, and like I said in the black area, this redeems itself for those who didn't like Cars.

• Banned User

Amazing...CAN NOT WAIT to see it. I love in the tv spots when he gags after smelling the stew on the stove. Hilarious!!! The animation looks stunning...was it not? Did it blow away Shrek's?

• aerinpegadrak/DQ's sis

Oh yeah. Shrek has nothing on the Remy...

• UT99 Forever

Quote Originally Posted by serenityandroses View Post
    I like it alot. It's really good, and like I said in the black area, this redeems itself for those who didn't like Cars.

You are rating this Rat better than Cars? I just lost faith in this review!

• aerinpegadrak/DQ's sis

I said that it redeems itself for those who don't like Cars. I adored Cars...

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Great movie even though we didn't get the Wall-E teaser

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

For more reviews of Ratatouille, please visit this thread:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67862

• aerinpegadrak/DQ's sis

So I was pretty excited to get a mention on Miceage for this post. Just thought I'd squee about it for a moment. YAY ME!