•   
    • Minion

Herbie/CNN question

Well someone used Herbie in a political cartoon at CNN.com...

This begs the question:

Has Hollywood... And in particularly the Disney Studio... "Jumped the Shark?"
    Check out my other blog:

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Well someone used Herbie in a political cartoon at CNN.com...

This begs the question:

Has Hollywood... And in particularly the Disney Studio... "Jumped the Shark?"
    Yes and No. Complex answer to a simple question. You are a studio head, part of a publicaly traded company. Your studio is given roughly 1 to 5 billion a year to create films and make a profit of probably less than half of that.

*You make several different films and hope that about half catch and make there money back. You make a few independent films or buy already made ones at Sundance or Cannes.

*You make a half dozen bad comedies or romantic comedies and they will pay for themselves then some.

*You make 3 or 4 major tentpole blockbuster films. 1 will pass mustard and be the mega hit that will make you money.

Now of the 3 or 4 major blockbusters- 3 are adapated from comic books, popular novels, tv shows- why? Built in audience. Despite grumblings from the public--- these movies bring butts to the seats and thats what counts for a studio boss. Take LOTR as an example, the book had a large following insuring some posistive word of mouth but it was still a gamble. On the other hand Harry Potter is a no brainer- there will be more butts in those seats than you can handle.

Remakes are not any different than an adapted material, except they are adapating themselves, adapting there best materials because the best already brought butts to the seats and it will probably bring them again.

The odd of an original screenplay bringing the type of gross the studios need to stay alive are slim. Gems occur every year in this field but they are rare and usually loose money for the studios.

So did they jump the shark? Do most people even know what that is? I don't think they jumped the shark at all, Herbie in particular doesn't look like a remake but a revisit and Bewitched certainly isn't taking itself seriously as a remake but also fits the bills as a revisit/rehash.

So long as the biggest grossing films each year are not original materials don't expect remakes to fade away.

• Rock Star Minion

I think the phrase "Jumped the Shark" jumped the shark about three years ago. Can't quite pinpoint the actual cause, though.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    I think the phrase "Jumped the Shark" jumped the shark about three years ago. Can't quite pinpoint the actual cause, though.
    I blame all the reality tv that makes everybody feel like they can make movies and tv...suddenly industry terms are common vernacular. It doesn't help that half of the terms referring to film are being misquoted.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    For the record, I only used the phrase because it was used in the cartoon...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    For the record, I only used the phrase because it was used in the cartoon...
    No offense intended toward you. More toward the cartoon.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• insufferable know-it-all

For the record, "jumped the shark" comes from the last dying throes of Happy Days.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    technically "Herbie" is not a remake, anymore than "Batman Begins" is a remake- its another chapter in an existing series.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

OK... major geezer moment here. What in the hell does "Jumped the shark" mean??? :confused:
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information
    Generations have been born that have no or little knowledge of much of Disney's catalog, thus roll the dice w/ The Parent Trap, Freaky Friday, and
    the current Herbie and coming soon Shaggy Dog, etc.

• Race Car Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    OK... major geezer moment here. What in the hell does "Jumped the shark" mean??? :confused:

Hahaha I know this one !!

Jump The Shark............... it comes from Happy Days like someone said above.

The ratings were sliding on the show, and in a episode of Happy Days The Fonz had to jump ( in water skiis) over a shark that was in a net out in the water.

So it is the moment that you know when the show has peaked and it is all down hill from there.

http://www.jumptheshark.com/

Oh Hi,
    I am back from the VMK making a short visit...... I love that place!
    Yes, it is fast....

No, you can't drive IT.

Drive it like it's stolen.