•   
    • Minion

Disney Consumer Products Boasts $26 Billion in Sales

Disney Consumer Products Boasts $26 Billion in Sales

6/19/07

Disney Consumer Products announced today that it is on target to reach its goal of $26 billion dollars in retail sales in fiscal year 2007. This doubles the figure reached 5 years ago. The driving factor of continued growth is seen to be an accelerated marketing push of Hanna Montana and High School Musical franchises.

More on this story at Business Wire

Re: Disney Consumer Products Boasts $26 Billion in Sales

Cars

2007 Hot Property

The story: In terms of being well positioned to defy expectations, Disney-Pixar's "Cars" started its race about as far from pole position as you can get. In fact, when an animated feature takes in $462 million in global box office and garners on Oscar nomination, like "Cars" did, yet still is dogged by critics who compare it unfavorably to previous Pixar efforts "Finding Nemo" and "The Incredibles," the bar is set perhaps a bit too high.
    While many refuse to rank "Cars" as Pixar maven John Lasseter's finest two hours, its merchandising campaign has become a global phenomenon. A year after the motion picture release, a sojourn to a local Toys R Us will reveal collectors -- boys to men -- on the prowl for the new shipment of Mattel-made die-cast miniatures, with the movie's extensive ensemble of characters yielding an endless array of product iterations (Dinaco Blue Chick Hicks, anyone?).
    Merchandising campaigns for tentpoles are supposed to peak around the time of the DVD release, then begin to taper off, but "Cars" is only getting hotter. "Do you think anybody knew it would have these kinds of continual legs? No way," says the merchandising topper for a rival studio. "I've just been impressed. It's doing this without anything supporting it in the marketplace."
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...22+andy+mooney

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Re: Disney Consumer Products Boasts $26 Billion in Sales

Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    "Do you think anybody knew it would have these kinds of continual legs? No way," says the merchandising topper for a rival studio.
    Yeah... I think Lasseter knew exactly what he was doing. He was very involved in overseeing the consumer products line for "Cars".

And I think the enduring success of the property is a great "last laugh" to all the critics, including certain other websites, that stubbornly called the film a failure.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter