View Poll Results: Should Disney be in the Wine Industry

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Can't wait for that Rimey Red!

13 81.25%
  • No! It is target marketing alcohol for kids!

2 12.50%
  • What was the question again?

1 6.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Should Disney be in the Wine Business?

Well, the news is out they are gearing up Ratatouille wine label, and offering a table white wine and a table red wine...

This is a first, well sort of...

What do YOU think of using Disney brands to promote alchoholic beverages?

I can't wait for my Goofy brand Gin!
    Check out my other blog:

Re: Should Disney be in the Wine Business?

Not voting because I obviously don't think they are "target marketing" wine to kids...but I don't like the idea of associating Disney/Pixar characters with alcoholic beverages outside theaters in the real world. Further...that's been something that for decades has been strictly forbidden by the Company.

I think it's one thing to depict characters dealing with booze in the movies. But to have "labels" with characters on booze in the real-world retail marketplace...I would be against it (if that's what they are indeed doing).

Disneyland used to have their own brand of cigars that were sold in the Park. But that was more of a "place" than an animated "character."

• aerinpegadrak/DQ's sis

I think Disney will do it tastefully. Perhaps not place the characters on the bottle, or at least not make them cartoony. Hopefully it won't make it too disgustingly cartoonish. After all, it would work in DCA. Cali is wine country. It would make sense... and alcohol is sold as Disneyland. It's not like this would be the first. I'm sure it wouldn't be available at anyplace other then adult only restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by serenityandroses View Post
    I think Disney will do it tastefully. Perhaps not place the characters on the bottle, or at least not make them cartoony. Hopefully it won't make it too disgustingly cartoonish. After all, it would work in DCA. Cali is wine country. It would make sense...
    I don't think it's a "disgustingly cartoonish" issue. The issue is that Disney has always expressly prohibited characters or those films being used to brand alcohol or tobacco products. In the past...you would have been fired overnight for even suggesting such a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by serenityandroses
    ...and alcohol is sold as Disneyland. It's not like this would be the first.
    Again...not the issue. We're not talking about the Parks here. We're talking about GENERAL RETAIL. Of course alcohol has always been served at many Disney properties. But never any based on, or branded from, any of Disney's animated characters or the animated films they came from.

Quote Originally Posted by serenityandroses
    I'm sure it wouldn't be available at anyplace other then adult only restaurants.
    You would be wrong then. Read the Press Release. Unless you consider your friendly neighborhood Costco an "adult only restaurant."

In the "old days"...Walt (and most of his successors) even prohibited the characters from being used to brand children's medicines. The conscience and wise thought being they didn't want say, Mickey, to be associated with anything that kids didn't like (like icky tasting medicines or the maladies they were associated with). Bandaids were allowed because kids associated those with something good and wanted...a bandaid to cover the owie...Mickey to the rescue. That sort of thing.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Does this mean we can stop calling shot glasses "toothpick holders"?

Remy Red . . . bring it on.

And as far as Disney selling "adult" products. I have a stainless steel bar set with a Mickey Mouse strainer which I bought from DisneyShopping.com. Selling wine isn't really that much of a stretch.

•   
    • Minion

I must admit, I am a little surprised no one has been the voice of decent yet...

You must admit it does present somewhat of an ethical challenge here... But you can see where the targeted tie in at DCA could be... My question is this: is it approprate?

I don't think so... But I still want to know what people think...
    Check out my other blog:

It would only be a problem if someone thinks that "Ratatouille" is a children's movie.

"Ratatouille"-inspired wine might actually help Disney's image problems by signaling that the brand has nothing to do with children per se and is, instead, principally about imagination, in general, just as Mickey Mouse coffee did when Walt Disney was alive.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 06-19-2007 at 09:16 PM.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Well, it's wine, not hard liquor or beer. I think culturally there is a different perception to wine. And it is pretty appropriate for the movie. I haven't seen it yet but from what I've read wine is featured pretty unapologetically as part of the French culinary landscape. I understand the concern about the precedent it makes, but overall I think it is a pretty clever little tie-in (for adults) that can be handled tastefully (no pun intended).
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Hedonist

DCA has a vineyard
    EPCOT has a food and wine festival
    Alcohol is available in more Disney parks than not

I don't see the problem

I'm far more disgusted by Disney branded brekfest cereal

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by General You View Post
    DCA has a vineyard
    EPCOT has a food and wine festival
    Alcohol is available in more Disney parks than not

I don't see the problem

I'm far more disgusted by Disney branded brekfest cereal
    There is a trend right now not to phase out using animated characters for promotion of sugary cerials to kids...
    Check out my other blog:

• Lonestar Louisianian

While I tend to agree that wine is a more upscale alcoholic beverage and has a better reputation, I think that on the whole many are making broad assumptions in this thread.

From what I read in the article:

No Disney characters appear in many of the luxe products, although designers often draw on color schemes, background art or themes from the company's animated movies.
    It appears, on just the early basis, that characters will not be associated in any way with this wine. If that indeed will be the case then I feel that there is nothing wrong with that (other than lame business marketing).

However, if they do use characters (or character names) on the wine then I definitely do have a serious concern about the depths to which Disney Marketing has sunk and would need to voice them in a letter to Iger and Lasseter, but I don't think this will be the case.

I will just need to wait and see the final product before going off half-cocked (or should that be half-corked ).

Quote Originally Posted by NatdRat View Post
    However, if they do use characters (or character names) on the wine then I definitely do have a serious concern about the depths to which Disney Marketing has sunk and would need to voice them in a letter to Iger and Lasseter, but I don't think this will be the case.
    What would that concern be, though?

Based on the artwork that I have seen thusfar, Remy appears in a stylized form.

• Art isn't easy.

Thumbs up Re: Should Disney be in the Wine Business?

I don't know, but I'd sure as hell buy Scotch by Stitch.
    - Bill

• back to WDW in January

oh dear, sounds like they'll need a Touchstone Label to release that under

• Lonestar Louisianian

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    What would that concern be, though?

Based on the artwork that I have seen thusfar, Remy appears in a stylized form.
    So there is artwork out for the wine label? Could you post a link as to where we can view it?

My concerns echo those that have been mentioned already whereby characters on products target a childs attention and thus should not be placed on products targeting adults. It's the same situation as with the "Joe Camel" character and cigarettes (and to a lesser extent the current lawsuit about Kellog's cereal characters).

Now if they use highly stylized art from the movie (say the sign for the restuarant at the end of the movie) with no character representation, then I am perfectly fine with that.

I'm not prudish by nature but this topic just concerns me enough to voice my opinion. It's just a mild concern, no boycotts or protests and I'm not trying to change anyone else's thoughts on the matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast