• back to WDW in January

Brad Bird Talks 'Toy Story 3' & 'Incredibles 2'

ComingSoon.net got a chance to chat on Friday with director Brad Bird at the press day for his new animated-adventure, Rataouille. Naturally, we asked him about Toy Story 3 and a possible sequel to The Incredibles.
    "It's going to be good," Bird said about the third "Toy Story." "We wouldn't do it if we didn't think it could be good." The third film, to be voiced again by Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, is coming to theaters in 2010.
    But would he do another "Incredibles"? "I would if I can come up with a story that is as good or better than the first one. If I can come up with a "Toy Story 2" with "The Incredibles," then I would do it in a second. I have pieces that I think are good, but I don't have them all together."
    Bird said sequels aren't part of Pixar's business plan. "We've made one and we're going to make another... We don't make it for any reason other than if it's a movie we want to see and a story we're excited to tell, we will go after it. We don't do it for money. Walt Disney once said that he doesn't make films to make money, he makes money to make films. That's very much Pixar's philosophy. It's why we're in the game."

Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=21218

Re: Brad Bird Talks 'Toy Story 3' & 'Incredibles 2'

"we're not just doing it for the money..... we're doing it for a s--- load lof money!"

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^^ I know, right?

NO MORE SEQUELS!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    "we're not just doing it for the money..... we're doing it for a s--- load lof money!"

I belive that there are artists out there who work for the sake of art, sure they make money, but their passion for great art is what makes their work so good. The PIXAR people and Walt Disney were so artistically successful because they wanted to make great art. There is a huge difference between great art and a finacially successful movie for example:

Great Art: Bambi

Fincially successful movie with no intents to be great art: anything by Michael Bay.

• Tic Tac?

I don't know... an Incredibles 2 could be interesting, especially if Brad Bird is involved. I really enjoyed the first one, and I wouldn't mind seeing a second, especially if a lot of work went into it (in other words, as long as it wasn't a cheapquel). Besides, I'd rather see an Incredibles 2 or Toy Story 3 than a Cars 2.

Mayor Lurkey rocks!

• Shablagoo!

What is wrong with a sequal? As long as it is a good movie then it should be made. I can see the problem with a crappy movie, but a bad movie isn't necessarilly a sequal. Let's list some of the good Sequals.

Godfather: Part 2, The Empire Strikes Back, The Wrath of Khan, Toy Story 2, X-Men 2, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, any of the Harry Potter films after the first one.

I know there are lots of bad sequels, but there are lots of bad movies period. I guess what I am trying to say is don't be against sequals, be against crummy movies.

• Shablagoo!

double post! Phooey!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    double post! Phooey!
    This would be a bad sequel
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Entertainment Weekly has posted an excellent interview with Bird at http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20043277,00.html.

By Steve Daly

Last Saturday night, a sneak preview of Pixar's new computer-animated movie, Ratatouille (which opens for real on June 29), left gung-ho fanboys (and girls) in rapture. Online message boards abound with excited praise, and no wonder. As it spins out the story of an aspiring chef who just happens to be a Parisian sewer rat named Remy (voiced by comedian Patton Oswalt), Ratatouille garnishes its ingeniously staged action scenes with more omigod camera angles and tracking shots than an Orson Welles movie.

We caught up with writer/director Brad Bird (an eight-year contributor to The Simpsons in the 1990s, as well as the guiding hand behind 1999's The Iron Giant and 2004's The Incredibles) to talk about his new ode to culinary artistry. Here's what he had to say about the ''ick'' factor of rats, the rigors of competing in a summer of endless sequels, how much he chafes at condescending attitudes about animation, and why the term ''brain trust'' gives him the willies.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Godfather: Part 2, The Empire Strikes Back, The Wrath of Khan, Toy Story 2, X-Men 2, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, any of the Harry Potter films after the first one.
    I don't consider the Star Wars films after the first one to be sequels. Lucas intended Star Wars to be a giant epic. Same with the LOTR and Harry Potter films. They're continuations of a story already in place.

I'm just sick of nearly every movie that comes out these days is a sequel. Hollywood needs to find some originality again.

double post! Phooey!
    Any relation to Hong Kong Phooey?

• Shablagoo!

But ultimately aren't all sequels just continuing the story of the characters from the earlier movies? As long as the film is good, I don't care if it is a sequel or not.

I do understand about having original movies though. That's why I cannot wait for Stardust.

• Space Mountain Expert

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I'm just sick of nearly every movie that comes out these days is a sequel. Hollywood needs to find some originality again.
    I completely agree.... And I have some killer ideas that I think would be great movies. One idea that I'm trying to develop is of a giant gorilla that lives in the farthest jungels of the world. Then, some Americans come to the jungle and see this giant beast and decide to take him out of his element and ship him off to American to become a money generating phenomenon.
    What do you all think? Does it sound like something that might make a good movie?
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

• Fastest Man Alive

I love 'Toy Story' to death, but really- where else is there for them to go? The characters have progressed nicely, and their arcs seem complete. I see no reason to continue that franchise.
    'The Incredibles' on the other hand. C'mon, it's about a super-hero family, how can there not be hundreds of quality story ideas about this? Please make this a sequel, please.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• back to WDW in January

In the bonus material of the first two films' "Ultimate Toy Box" DVD set, Lasseter mentioned that an intended story line for Toy Story 3 was to follow Andy's toys after Andy had grown up and abandoned them. Buzz, Woody and the rest of Andy's old toys would end up in an orphanage at the conclusion of the story, where the constant arrival of new children would mean that they would never be outgrown. This idea originated in an early draft of the original Toy Story, where Tinny (from Tin Toy) and a ventriloquist's dummy are hauled away by a junk man and are left at a preschool.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_Story_3

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by disneyking View Post
    I completely agree.... And I have some killer ideas that I think would be great movies. One idea that I'm trying to develop is of a giant gorilla that lives in the farthest jungels of the world. Then, some Americans come to the jungle and see this giant beast and decide to take him out of his element and ship him off to American to become a money generating phenomenon.
    What do you all think? Does it sound like something that might make a good movie?

Interesting that you mention Kong. Did you know the makers of the original King Kong made a sequel, Son of Kong, the following year?

Sequels and remakes are nothing new. For example, there had already been made for the screen twice BEFORE Judy Garland ever wore the Ruby slippers.

That said, I am not particularly interested in another TS. I felt the story was wrapped up nicely the first time and even more so the second time.

I hope this time Jessie gets lost and no one goes to look for her. At all.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com