Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1

    • back to WDW in January
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    971

    Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    Since Disney's acquisition of Pixar and the installation of John Lasseter and Ed Catmull as heads of Disney animation, morale at the Burbank studio has tumbled and some employees are privately hoping that the upcoming Pixar-produced Ratatouille flops, an unnamed Disney executive has told Disney watcher Jim Hill. On his website, www.jimhillmedia.com, Hill posted an email from the exec that says, "There are a lot of people here who are now actively hoping for a Pixar backlash. The transition has not been handled well, due mostly to the great care & attention that's being lavished on Pixar. Every attempt has been made to make sure that that animation studio's creative culture have been kept intact. Meanwhile, Disney Studio's own unique traditions & operating systems are being plowed under."

    Source: http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...report_1035186

  2. #2

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by tjcjr View Post
    Since Disney's acquisition of Pixar and the installation of John Lasseter and Ed Catmull as heads of Disney animation, morale at the Burbank studio has tumbled and some employees are privately hoping that the upcoming Pixar-produced Ratatouille flops, an unnamed Disney executive has told Disney watcher Jim Hill. On his website, www.jimhillmedia.com, Hill posted an email from the exec that says, "There are a lot of people here who are now actively hoping for a Pixar backlash. The transition has not been handled well, due mostly to the great care & attention that's being lavished on Pixar. Every attempt has been made to make sure that that animation studio's creative culture have been kept intact. Meanwhile, Disney Studio's own unique traditions & operating systems are being plowed under."

    Source: http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...report_1035186
    That is the problem with most corporate organizations that go through a culture change... There will be those who resist, and there will be those who will need to be shown the door... It happens... (And if you notice it is happening...)

    However I think it will take at least three-four years to turn the Disney Animation studio's around realisticly, we are only part way through the curve... In other words, it is still too early to judge...
    Check out my other blog:

  3. #3

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,356

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by tjcjr View Post
    Meanwhile, Disney Studio's own unique traditions & operating systems are being plowed under.
    Didn't Eisner already plow them under years ago?

    If Eisner's unique traditions and operating systems are being plowed under, then I say doing so is good riddance.

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,084

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    The fading Eisnerists (whom Hill often seems to cover) may be demoralized and that is WONDERFUL! Lasseter and Catmull are bringing the Walt back to Walt Disney, which is what the company has needed for almost two decades.

    The demise of Sharon Morrill and the dreck-to-video sequels is the latest coup for the delightful Walter Boys from Pixar who are relighting the candles of imagination, decency and hope throughout the company!!

    When Iger purchased Pixar, he brought back - at a premium - the culture of artists and creatives that made Disney what it was -- the true Disney culture in exile.

    The nasty MBA pod-people who hated the geeks and tried to rid the company of their influence are the ones who are crying into their golden parachutes today. And their voodoo won't work...

    I've seen Rataouille and it is a miracle movie!
    Last edited by merlinjones; 06-25-2007 at 01:08 PM.

  5. #5

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,084

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ratatouille/

    At the time of this post, Rataouille is 100% positive on the tomatometer at rottentomatoes.com, which tracks print reviews.

  6. #6

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    The nasty MBA pod-people who hated the geeks and tried to rid the company of their influence are the ones who are crying into their golden parachutes today. And their voodoo won't work...
    Whatever, MJ... They are pod-people because they followed the Eisner Doctrine - i.e. Market garbage to the masses because it has the Disney brand... It has NOTHING to do with wether or not they have an MBA...

    The point here is that "marketers" shouldn't be in charge of the means of artistic production. "marketers" should be in charge of "marketing..." Big differance...
    Check out my other blog:

  7. #7

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,356

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Whatever, MJ... They are pod-people because they followed the Eisner Doctrine - i.e. Market garbage to the masses because it has the Disney brand... It has NOTHING to do with wether or not they have an MBA...

    The point here is that "marketers" shouldn't be in charge of the means of artistic production. "marketers" should be in charge of "marketing..." Big differance...
    Most businesses use a marketing orientation, instead of a production orientation. The lesson to be learned is that art and entertainment cannot be made in the same way toothpaste and tires are.

  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,084

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    >>Whatever, MJ... They are pod-people because they followed the Eisner Doctrine - i.e. Market garbage to the masses because it has the Disney brand... It has NOTHING to do with wether or not they have an MBA...<<

    I guess it's just a coincidence, then. ; )

  9. #9

    • Mousketeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    627

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    This is a "duh" article. Of course there are people that wish pixar to fail. It will provide vindication to those people. If Lasseter suceeds, then they were wrong.

    This fear isn't among the artists or the creatives, just among those that fear thier actions will be judged by Pixars sucess.

  10. #10

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    I guess it's just a coincidence, then. ; )
    Sigh... Sometimes MJ, you are impossable!
    Check out my other blog:

  11. #11

    • is too darn hot.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    It's all about the LBC, yo!
    Posts
    14,849

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    You know most of the good people at Disney have MBAs, too.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

    On Track for Weight Loss!


  12. #12

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In a 3D movie theater
    Posts
    4,834

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    You know most of the good people at Disney have MBAs, too.
    That is because one of the first things you learn as an MBA is that ALL companys must start with a quality product.
    Check out my other blog:

  13. #13

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,634

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    The people that want Pixar are to fail are the executive VP's and accountaneers who had such a gravy train under eisner and are now upset that the party is over. People like Sharon Morrill, Tom Fitzgerald, Eric Jacobson, and im sure tons of others like Jay Rasolu.

    You know the people that championed cheap direct to video disney sequels, the wand and leave a legacy scheme at epcot, cheap movie tie-ins in the parks, the removal of "unnecessary attractions" like the skyway, etc. etc.

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    A few miles from where Disney's America should have been
    Posts
    536

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    And for some reason that I don't fully comprehend, Hill seems to have his own axe to grind in this regard (or maybe he just likes they way these types of stories get picked up in the broader press). He's always pointing out any minor blip that signals that Disney may have "overpaid" for Pixar.

    He relentlessly beat the drum that "Cars" was a box office failure (clearly unsupported by the facts, and he conveniently overlooked the recent news that Cars continues to surpass the wildest projections on the consumer products side).

    Anyway, I was not only not surprised, but I fully expected that JHM would run a story about how "Ratatouille" is poised for failure and Pixar is really just screwing things up.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter


  15. #15

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Agrabah
    Posts
    11,041

    Re: Did The Pixar Acquisition Demoralize Disney?

    Some site is making a MOUNTAIN out of a moleHill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pixar is now Disney.
    By cellarhound in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 12:06 AM
  2. Disney Completes Pixar Acquisition - Press Release
    By Darkbeer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2006, 06:45 AM
  3. Disney Completes Pixar Acquisition - BusinessWire 5/5/06
    By cellarhound in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2006, 01:21 PM
  4. Disney / Pixar plan for the Future - Pixar.com 2/08/06
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2006, 01:11 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2005, 07:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •