• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

McCartney FREE in-store performance @ Amoeba Hollywood 6/27/07

"If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• My prices are INSANE!

Re: McCartney FREE in-store performance @ Amoeba Hollywood 6/27/07

I bet that will be a mad house.

I'll have to stay away from Sunset and Cahuenga.
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

WOW!!!
    Seriously!!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

I got an email about this today. I am on Paul McCartney's website mailing list. Oh how I wish I could be there. I saw him in Nov. 2005 and it was THE best concert I've ever seen and I have seen a LOT.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

That is going to be BEYOND a madhouse!

How much you want to bet people are already camping out for wristbands?

• Senior Minion

That's gonna be crazy!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post

I'm one of those crazy people

j/k I Wish i could be there!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Fans line up in L.A. for McCartney performance

Associated Press
    via The Hollywood Reporter
    June 27, 2007

Equipped with folding chairs and sleeping bags, hundreds of fans of Paul McCartney lined up at a Hollywood record store Tuesday to snag wristbands for a free show there by the Beatle.

Toni Johnson, 55, stood at the front of the line. Wearing a Paul McCartney concert T-shirt, she said she flew in from Chicago late Saturday and had been in line since Monday afternoon.

"It was noisy, cold. I was trying to sleep upright in a chair. I'm on two hours of sleep," she said. "But for Paul, it's worth it. His music touches my soul and puts a smile on my face like no one else can."

McCartney will play an all-ages concert at Sunset Boulevard's Amoeba Music at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, his spokesman Paul Freundlich confirmed.

The wristbands will be given out starting at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.

"This has not been finalized, but we're likely looking at a minimum of 300 people inside," Freundlich told the Associated Press.

Released this month, McCartney's newest album, "Memory Almost Full," has sped up the Billboard charts, and ranks No. 3.

The album, his 21st solo work, received impressive reviews from critics for its blend of nostalgia and melody.

An impromptu gig by McCartney two weeks ago at the Highline Ballroom in New York sparked talk of a tour, but McCartney has no tour plans at this time, Freundlich said.

On Tuesday, Danville resident Sharon White, 43, stood in line with her son, Alexander, 9.

White said she has been a McCartney fan since she was 4. She first saw McCartney, with his band Wings, in 1976.

This was her son's third time seeing McCartney, she said.

"I'm a little disappointed that it's not in a club," White said. "But we'll take what we can get. To see him in a small venue is a lifelong dream."
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...45e5e30145118b
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

^^

• Do You know?

One of my co-workers told me that they were already lined up this was the look on my face . Well, it is better than lining up for the iphone.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post

I just drove by it and there's about 30 people in line so far.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

If anyone here goes, please report. I entered the sweepstakes for a wristband but didn't win. I'd love a report!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Recently Reviewed

Paul McCartney

(Amoeba Records; 500 capacity; free)

Paul McCartney at Amoeba Records.

Produced inhouse.

By Steven Mirkin
    Variety
    Reviewed June 27, 2007.

Band: Paul McCartney, Rusty Anderson, Abe Laboriel Jr., Brian Ray, Paul "Wix" Wickens.

You’d think after performing in some of the world’s largest arenas and stadiums, nothing could faze Paul McCartney. But when he looked over the hundreds of fans packing the aisles of the Los Angeles branch of indie retailer Amoeba Records for his “secret” show, he pronounced the experience “surreal.”

Perf was possibly the worst kept secret in Los Angeles. According to some reports, nearly 200 people began camping outside the store Monday night; the only way the show could have generated more excitement would have been to promise a free iPhone along with the wrist-bands that guaranteed admission.

Those who got in were treated to a once-in-a-lifetime performance: a relaxed and gregarious McCartney in a setting intimate enough for him to interact with fans (including regaling one woman with a couple of lines of “Happy Birthday,” although he also had to admonish another fan with a wagged finger and a curt “shut up ... that’s so rude” when she screamed song requests over one of his many stories). He performed 11 Beatles songs, including a few that haven’t been played before such a small aud since his days at the Cavern club.

The real surprise was how wonderful McCartney and his band sounded. McCartney easily moved from bass to guitar to piano while drummer Abe Laboriel provided a solid, muscular rhythm. Guitarist Rusty Anderson just might have the hardest job in show business: He has to sound like John Lennon on the harmonies and play like George Harrison when he solos.

Although many of the songs performed were classics, the band didn’t shy away from messing with the material: adding three false endings to “I’ll Follow the Sun”; adding a tough, rocking coda (including some impressive lead guitar from Sir Paul) onto “I’ve Got a Feeling”; adding a high harmony to “The Long and Winding Road,” which was performed in an arrangement that split the difference between Phil Spector’s overproduced original and the unadorned version heard on 2003’s “Let It Be ... Naked.”

McCartney’s voice impressed throughout the 90-minute set. The Little Richard squeal at the end of sunny “That Was Me” -- one of the many songs on the new album that feels more like Paul’s Indian Summer than the autumn of his years -- erased any doubts about the condition of his voice. And how much this music still touches him was apparent when he started to tear up during “Here Today,” which he dedicated to “those who are missed,” including Lennon, George Harrison and his late wife, Linda.

The unusual venue is part of the marketing strategy for his new album, “Memory Almost Full.” Released through coffee giant Starbucks’ Hear Music imprint, it proves the 65-year-old McCartney understands the retail market is changing; he is also actively courting the online world.

A few of the more obscure selections (“C Moon,” the b-side of 1973’s non-LP single “Hi Hi Hi” and “Calico Sky” from 1997’s “Flaming Pie”) seemed calculated to send people to iTunes, where his catalog was recently made available for download. But this kind of guerilla performance is nothing new for McCartney; for his first tour with Wings, he famously would drive up to college campuses and ask if the band could set up and play a few songs.

After he left the stage, saluting the aud by holding his Hofner bass above his head, the last notes of “I Saw Her Standing There” still in the air, the crowd filed out, passing racks filled with thousands of CDs. Try to imagine how many of those albums would not even exist without the influence of the man who was just on the stage. Now, that’s surreal.

Click here to see the set list.
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...goryid=34&cs=1