Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

HR: Ratatouille #1 BO Friday

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...c76565c485d068

>>Pixar's 'Ratatouille' cooks up top spot Friday

"Ratatouille," Buena Vista's release of the latest animated movie from Pixar Animation Studios, took a big bite out of the Friday boxoffice. The G-rated tale of a Parisian rat who longs to prove himself a top chef, from director Brad Bird, took in an estimated $16.3 million in the 3,940 theaters in which it debuted.<<

• Delawarean Girl

Re: HR: Ratatouille #1 BO Friday

Nice, I hope it keeps it up.

• Directly directed

That's great! I'd love for it to come out top this weekend.

• Banned User

Isn't that a little bit low?

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

For comparrison's sake Cars did $19,713,746 on its first release day.While still a impressive number its another step down from the last Pixar movie.Maybe good word of mouth and reviews will pick things up on Saturday,if for anything than to shout Jim Hill up who seems to take great pride in making statements that Disney paid to much for Pixar,yada yada.

My biggest concern is how well this movie will perform from the 3rd when it goes against what could quite possibly be the biggest movie of the year Transformers!
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Weekend estimate for Ratatouille is $47,227,000

1) Finding Nemo $70,251,710
    2) Incredibles $70,467,623
    3) Monsters Inc $62,577,067
    4) Cars $60,119,509
    5) Toy Story 2 57,388,839
    6) Ratatouille $47,227,000
    7) A Bugs Life $33,258,052
    8) Toy Story $29,149,617
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• white and nerdy

I wonder if the vast and very accessible sneak previews and advanced showings took a bite out of the "opening" box office revenue?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Minion

Nikki Finke says:

>>SUNDAY AM: Disney / Pixar's Ratatouille cooked up a winning recipe as America's No. 1 movie, opening big with $47.2 mil this weekend from a bountiful 3,940 theaters. Surprisingly, it performed equally well on Friday as it did Saturday featuring the famed kiddie matinees. But Remy The Rat's debut is still well below the last Disney / Pixar toon Cars, which opened in 2006 to $60 mil and earned less than 2003's Finding Nemo ($70 mil) and 2004's The Incredibles ($70 mil). (Plus, Ratatouille can't merchandise itself like the other toons -- not with a rat as the main character.) I hear the incredibly well reviewed film (95% "fresh" reviews at Rotten Tomatoes) played right across the board. And, while Los Angelenos are used to applause as the credits roll, there are anecdotal reports of lotsa clapping across the country. The rodent should have great legs over Fourth Of July week.<<

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

• Minion

I just saw Ratatouille for the second time. It made me weep with delight - quite literally. The best of modern cinema and traditional Disney cartoon charm blended perfectly. It really is the most marvelous film and it's great to see a time when something like this can be made again! Thanks Brad and Pixar and Disney! Do it again!

• Minion

The unfortunate thing is that the biggest block buster of the weekend was the iPhone... I think that this sapped up all the Pixar fans...
    Check out my other blog:

• oh bugger

"Our whole idea was to set ourselves up for what we call the 10-day opening, we look at this as one extended playtime. We're in this for the long haul. We're glad we're No. 1, but we're not trying to make this just a weekend wonder.''

-Chuck Viane, Disney's head of distribution

I partly agree. While the 47mil isn't what one would hope for. I think with so many taking part or all of this upcoming week off from work, and the 4th holiday being so family-centric, 'Ratatouille' will surely benefit. I am a little worried what 'Transformers' is going to do to the market share, but I really don't see a Michael Bay movie having the same legs as a Disney/Pixar flick. 'Transformers' will open big but my guess is it won't run as long as the amazing 'Ratatouille'.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenb52 View Post
    I partly agree. While the 47mil isn't what one would hope for. I think with so many taking part or all of this upcoming week off from work, and the 4th holiday being so family-centric, 'Ratatouille' will surely benefit. I am a little worried what 'Transformers' is going to do to the market share, but I really don't see a Michael Bay movie having the same legs as a Disney/Pixar flick. 'Transformers' will open big but my guess is it won't run as long as the amazing 'Ratatouille'.
    The thing is this "Ratatouille" is poised to have (pardon the pun) a "long tail." It is a film that will be around for a long time, and is a property which I am not that concerned about... It is poised to make a lot of money many years to come.
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...lls-a-rat.aspx

Motley Fool has a sensible perspective:

>>Disney's reputation in theatrical animation is finally on the mend. There is no more settling for rushed direct-to-video sequel drivel. Pixar's proven think tank is taking control of Disney's flagship studio. It won't be long before you can start trusting the Disney brand again.

Financially speaking, Disney is also absorbing the high-margin half of Pixar's operations that it used to forgo in its joint venture. Even if Ratatouille scampers away after ultimately grossing around $172 million in stateside ticket sales, that will still be more than any in-house Disney release has generated in 13 years.<<

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    I just saw Ratatouille for the second time. It made me weep with delight - quite literally. The best of modern cinema and traditional Disney cartoon charm blended perfectly. It really is the most marvelous film and it's great to see a time when something like this can be made again! Thanks Brad and Pixar and Disney! Do it again!
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was teary eyed through the film. It should get nominated for Best Picture at the very least. I saw it on Sunday and I'm ready to go see it again. There's nothing but absolute junk out there this summer. Pirates, Shrek, Spider Man 3, were all horrible films.

I think Disney under promoted this picture, and instead focused all their ad dollars on Pirates. If they had put any effort at all into the promotion of this film, the box office numbers would have been much higher. They did nothing to help push Ratatouille.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDisneyDad View Post
    They did nothing to help push Ratatouille.
    If nothing includes creating a special teaser trailer and running it for months in theatres and online, securing promotional partners that include Intel, Sur La Table, Samsung and General Mills, mounting a not inexpensive "Big Cheese" tour to roam the country promoting the film, let alone cross-promoting this latest release with it's own arsenal ranging from Disney Adventures Comic Zone to the Disney Channel to ABC Television to the Disney Garden food product line and the DLR & WDW. And that's just domestically.

Then yes, they are guilty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast