Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Ratatouille' Pixar Style: Bon Appétit (merged)

Wednesday June 27th marks Bruce Willis' return to his star-making movie role as Detective John McClane in 'Live Free or Die Hard' from 20th Century Fox. The fourth film in the 'Die Hard' series hits theatres with mostly enthusiastic reviews hot on the heels of a worldwide publicity campaign.

'Ratatouille' opens on Friday gunning for the family audience and beyond.
    Both films are positioned to open ahead of DreamWorks' 'Transformers' which invades theatres on July 3rd.

Both "Die Hard" and "Ratatouille" are drawing strong notices. Disney's big challenge with "Ratatouille" is to manage expectations: Toons and family films don't always open like gangbusters but rake in the dough over the long haul. And the new toon -- the first Pixar pic since the company was acquired by Disney -- will have to measure up to the $60.1 million opening number for "Cars," Pixar's last movie, which bowed in June 2006. And many B.O. pundits labeled that bow a disappointment because it didn't match the opening of "The Incredibles," though "Cars" drove on to a healthy $462 million worldwide cume.
    Read more on this story at:
    'Die Hard,' 'Ratatouille' on the menu

Fox moves up start date for Willis film

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1
    Last edited by ALIASd; 06-27-2007 at 08:04 AM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

The recipe for 'Ratatouille'

Photo: Spencer Weiner/Los Angeles Times

The recipe for 'Ratatouille'

Writer-director Brad Bird sifts the ingredients that made a difference in the tale of a Parisian rat-chef.

By Susan King
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    June 28, 2007

WHEN Brad Bird was brought in to take over "Ratatouille," a new movie about — sacré bleu! — a rodent in a five-star Parisian restaurant, he immediately took issue with the rats.

They were all wrong. To begin with, they were walking around on two legs. And they had short tails.

"They were trying to deratify the rats," Bird said of the animators who were working on the Pixar/Disney film before he came on board. "They recognized people were squeamish about rats, but it is inherent in the premise. Rather than trying to dial that down, I was like 'Use that energy and redirect.' I lengthened their tails. And … I had them go back and re-rig all the rats so they could be on four legs."

Audiences will have the final say on rodents in a kitchen when "Ratatouille" opens Friday amid early, favorable reviews as well as questions about how much it will appeal to children. For his part, though, Bird says he's not worried.

The writer-director of the Oscar-winning Pixar/Disney animated film "The Incredibles" says it's wrong to assume "that animation is an art form just for children…. I think [children] are a fraction of our audience. That said, I'm never doing anything to alienate them."

The charming comedy revolves around a rat named Remy who makes his dreams of becoming a gourmet chef come true when he teams up with an orphan boy named Linguini who works at a once-famed restaurant, Gusteau's, that's fallen on bad times.

But let's face it, the fancy, gourmet meals served up in "Ratatouille" aren't exactly recipes that kids can replicate in their Easy-Bake ovens.

"In my mind, the audience is just anybody who likes movies," Bird said. "I would say a lot of people, I think, who make family entertainment, dumb it down for kids, and I am completely opposed to that. "If you present it in an engaging way … it's OK for kids to be a little confused at points and wonder why something is happening. I think too much [family] entertainment is hostile to kids because you assume they are idiots."

Bird inherits "Ratatouille" from Jan Pinkava, who won an Oscar for his 1997 Pixar short, "Geri's Game," and had begun developing the film in 2000.

"I was aware of the film's development and participated in a limited way as part of the story trust group that goes over all the films," Bird says. "We offer fresh eyes to each other's projects." But he didn't take the reins from Pinkava, who still has story credit on the film, until about 18 months ago. (Bird said Pixar's John Lasseter and Steve Jobs asked him to take a look at the project and "analyze why this very beautiful car was not running.")

"I committed to keeping the animation start date," Bird said, "which is like the start date of principal photography, to hold to the original [opening] date. It was like Vulcan chess when you are, like, on four or five different levels. It was scary and exhilarating."

The basic plot line and the cast of characters are the same as in Pinkava's versions. But Bird made some major changes.

"Gusteau [the chef] was alive in the previous version, but I killed him off and made him part of Remy's imagination," he says.

He also took Collette, a self-disciplined young cook in Gusteau's who falls for Linguini, from a minor character to a major player.

"I wrote a whole new script and then we blasted it into production," he says.

"Ratatouille" marks Bird's first "talking critter movie." But he's no stranger to animating animals, having trained at Disney: "The whole Disney thing is: If you are dealing with an animal movie, know something about the animals.

"All the guys who trained me are of that camp, so if you are doing a dog movie, study those type of dogs, then use it not as something to rigidly adhere to, but as something that informs your creative choices."

Bird encouraged his animators to study rat behavior and how they use their noses and their tendency to fold their arms onto their chest.

"Because our lead character is a rat who wants to move into the human world, let's show him make that choice to be on two legs and let's make him being on two legs something he has to hide from his dad and let's show it as something that changes over the course of the film. I am happy we made that choice because it is something I could use as a director."

Bird says that Remy and his rat family have a lot in common with the lead character in another Disney animated film, "The Hunchback of Notre Dame."

"Everybody cringes when they first see the Hunchback," says Bird. "But when you get beyond the surface you start to feel things for the character, and that becomes a deeper film."
    http://www.latimes.com/

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: "Yippee Ki Yay" 'Ratatouille'!!!

'Die Hard' chases down $9.1 mil in first day

By Gregg Kilday
    The Hollywood Reporter
    June 29, 2007

20th Century Fox's "Live Free or Die Hard," the fourth installment in the "Die Hard" franchise, opened Wednesday to $9.1 million, according to the studio.

Although it has been 12 years since Bruce Willis' cop John McClane has been called into action, the new film, carrying a PG-13 rating rather than the R attached to earlier films in the series, easily dominated the day's boxoffice.

The movie's opening didn't set any records -- the current record-holder for an opening Wednesday is "Spider-Man 2," which bowed to a single-day gross of $40.4 million on June 30, 2004.

But Fox execs pronounced themselves pleased with both the day's opening number, which included some Tuesday night showings, as well as positive responses from audiences that saw the movie.
    Debuting in 3,172 theaters, "Die Hard," directed by Len Wiseman ("Underworld: Evolution") heads into a competitive weekend, where it will encounter Buena Vista's release of Pixar Animation's "Ratatouille," which is expected to take the top spot with for the weekend -- especially since some of "Die Hard's" prospective weekend audience will be siphoned off by its Wednesday and Thursday screenings. "Die Hard" is expected to capture the second slot in the weekend rankings.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...ace8911586c8fe

• Hillary scares me.

Well duh...

Bruce Willis and the Guy From the Apple Commercials - GENIUS!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaaron View Post
    Well duh...

Bruce Willis and the Guy From the Apple Commercials - GENIUS!!!
    Duh and Genius.

• Minion

I've been VERY excited for these three movies. Every other Summer movkie has been a real disappointment so far.

Loved "Live Free or Die hard", pretty sure I'll love Ratatouille, and Transformers is going to be the film to end all summer films!

:hopefully:

• Iron-Clad Allie

As you have said is often the case for toon flocks, I think Ratatioulle will start out moderately and steaduly increase it's box office numbers to blockbuster status. Since were talking about Pixar, there is no way that it will have loow attendance to begin with. Word of mouth will go a long way toward solidifying it's popularity.

Die hard is destined to be a hot money maker from begining to end - and beyond! Judging by the current trailer Transformers has has that edgy feel that, I feel, will cause it to draw in big money from the onset. Whether the movie lives up to it;s hype will determin it's longevity as a powerful draw.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    I've been VERY excited for these three movies. Every other Summer movkie has been a real disappointment so far.
    Would you include Pirates 3 on that list?

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Would you include Pirates 3 on that list?

--Barry
    I'd certainly include Pirate's 3, and Fantastic 4 2. Yo Ho! Flame On!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

At first I wasn't going to see Die Hard 4 but I've seen the previews and now I just can't wait! I'm hearing only good things about it.

Yippee Ki Yay!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Ratatouille' is l'un numéroter opening day

Audiences feast on 'Ratatouille'

'Live Free or Die Hard' on track for second spot

By Pamela McClintock
    Variety
    June 30, 2007

Disney-Pixar's "Ratatouille" dined on an estimated take of around $16.5 million on Friday, putting it on track to take No. 1 for the weekend, ahead of Fox's "Live Free or Die Hard."

"Live Free," which opened Wednesday, posted roughly $16.5 million in estimated ticket sales Friday, putting its weekend total between $31 million and $32 million. It's five-day should fall between $45 million and $48 million. Pic is playing 3,408 venues.

Michael Moore's docu "Sicko," expanding into 441 theaters, made an estimated $1.3 million to $1.5 million Friday. Weekend tally for the Weinstein Co. pic could hit $4 million. Lionsgate is distributing the film for TWC.

In its second frame, Universal's laffer "Evan Almighty" is on track to take No. 3 for the weekend. Friday tickets sales were an estimated $15 million to $16 million from 3,636 venues. Weekend cume should be in the $15 million range, meaning a steep 55% drop, in line with most of the other summer event films.

Dimension's horror pic "1408," which came in No. 2 last weekend behind "Evan Almighty," made an estimated $3.7 million Friday. It's weekend total should be $10.2 million to $10.7 million.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR320...goryid=13&cs=1

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Ratatouille' tops weekend with $47.2 million

“Ratatouille” is the lowest opening for a Pixar title since “Toy Story 2,” but Disney said the film met expectations and that it will stay at the top of the movie-going menu, due to strong word-of-mouth and glowing reviews.

Coming in at No. 2 was 20th Century Fox’s revived franchise “Live Free or Die Hard.” The Bruce Willis starrer, which opened Wednesday, made $33.2 million over the weekend, bringing its estimated cume to $48.2 million. "Live Free or Die Hard" played 3,408 venues.
    Read more on the story at:
    Audiences chow down on 'Ratatouille'
    'Die Hard' snacks on leftovers for second spot

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1
    Last edited by ALIASd; 07-01-2007 at 03:15 PM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

A 4-star Opening For A Rat Chef

'Ratatouille': A 4-star opening for the rat chef

With $47.2 million, the Pixar film is not a record breaker, but it's definitely not small potatoes.

By Josh Friedman
    lOS aNGELES Times Staff Writer
    10:15 AM PDT, July 1, 2007

A solid opening weekend for "Ratatouille" left Walt Disney Co.'s Pixar Animation Studios with an enviable Hollywood streak: eight movies, eight hits.

It wasn't a home-run launch like some of Pixar's biggest films, but the G-rated tale of a young rat who dreams of becoming one of France's finest chefs took in $47.2 million in U.S. and Canadian ticket sales to easily rank No. 1 for the weekend, according to Sunday's studio estimates.

The 20th Century Fox thriller "Live Free or Die Hard," starring Bruce Willis, placed second with an estimated $33.2 million.

Though "Ratatouille," written and directed by Brad Bird, had the weakest Pixar opening since "A Bug's Life" in 1998, Disney said its stellar reviews and summer play time set it up for a powerful run.

"We look at this as a 10-day opening weekend," said Chuck Viane, Disney's distribution president. "This is a film for anybody from 6 to 96, and in a couple of days everyone is going to be sitting around picnic tables talking about 'Ratatouille.' "

The film has 95% positive ratings on review aggregation websites RottenTomatoes.com and MetaCritic.com. Still, some box-office analysts call it a tough sell with kids because of its rodent hero and relatively exotic subject matter.
    http://www.latimes.com/

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Re: 'Ratatouille' tops weekend with $47.2 million

What I can't understand is, how do they know how much it made when it is only 11am on the West coast? Do they not count Sunday's figures? Can someone explain it for me? Thanks.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: A 4-star Opening For A Rat Chef

The film has 95% positive ratings on review aggregation websites RottenTomatoes.com and MetaCritic.com. Still, some box-office analysts call it a tough sell with kids because of its rodent hero and relatively exotic subject matter.
    Rodent hero a tough sell?????

How do those so called "analysts" explain
    Mickey and Minnies success???

FOOD is "Exotic" subject matter???

Those analysts need a different profession.

The biggest challenge this movie has is
    it's competition, Evan, Harry, and the Transformers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast