Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Harry Potter, Ron, Hermione and Draco Survive 5th Film / 7th Book - Publishing Re

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL View Post
    Well RW, I'm afraid that we'll just have to agree to disagree. I firmly believe that JKR has enough pull in what happens plot wise in the movies that she would never let major plot points differ between the books and the movies.

And although I've complained about Gambon's performance which I truly believe is do more to direction than the actor, he does have more of the look I expected for Dumbledore. I just hope he gets better direction this time around.
    It's no big, MTNGIRL. I've already agreed that it is most likely that character replacement in the film will not vary from that of the book. I only postulated that it is a remote possibility.

Gambon's performance is heavily dependant on the director. In fairness to the actor, I indicated the importance of the director many posts back. In a way, it is unfair that audiences don't always take the director of a given film into account for character performances that are less than up to speed. Again, I hope things work out to where audiences will thrill to the performance of an actor that has a highly distinguished history.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-05-2007 at 09:49 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Original Mice-Chatter

Re: Harry Potter, Ron, Hermione and Draco Survive 5th Film / 7th Book - Publishing Re

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    As always Nephythys, you are entitled to your opinion.

Life's full of precarious unpredictable surprises. Always has and always will be. I'm not saying that a character will definitely die in the film that had not in the novel. Nobody can say that they absolutely will not. As unlikely as it might be, it remains a possibility.

As of this point, however, nobody will know who survives (and who does not) in the 7th literary installment until later this month.
    I don't think it remains a possibility in the least. They are not going to deviate so far from the books as to change the mortality of the characters Rowling has created.

• I love loop jokes.

Alright.... I wasn't sure where I should put this since the Harry Potter Predictions thread is closed.... so I just thought I'd post it here since it's a hot thread.

I might be wrong on some of my facts but I'd really like to know what all of you who have read the books think about this:

Voldemort (let's just call him Voldy) wanted to rip his soul into 7 pieces to insure his immortality. That means he needed to put his soul into 6 different things to have a total of 7 pieces.
    Here are the horcruxes that I'm sure of:
    1. Tom Riddle's Diary (destroyed by Harry)
    2. Marvolo's ring (destroyed by Dumbledore)
    3. Slytherin's locket (who knows where that is. only RAB knows at this point)
    4. Hufflepuff's cup

So there's supposed to be 2 more. I remember reading that in order to make a horcrux, you have to rip your soul apart. In order to rip your soul, you have to commit murder. Wasn't Voldy going to use the Potters' death to make a horcrux? That means before he murdered the Potters', there were only 5 horcruxes. Therefore, he hadn't made his 6th one yet.

So I think he was all ready to rip his soul and put it into some (unknown to us) horcrux. The plan backfired when Harry lived and somehow the soul might have been placed into Harry. Nobody wants to believe this theory because this would mean Harry would have to die. But get this! Dementor's are supposed to suck your soul out of you. I think a dementor will attempt to kill Harry, but will suck Voldy's soul out instead!!

Please let me know if I'm wrong or if you have a different opinion. I'd love to debate this with people who've read the books.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by French25Fan View Post
    Alright.... I wasn't sure where I should put this since the Harry Potter Predictions thread is closed.... so I just thought I'd post it here since it's a hot thread.

I might be wrong on some of my facts but I'd really like to know what all of you who have read the books think about this:

Voldemort (let's just call him Voldy) wanted to rip his soul into 7 pieces to insure his immortality. That means he needed to put his soul into 6 different things to have a total of 7 pieces.
    Here are the horcruxes that I'm sure of:
    1. Tom Riddle's Diary (destroyed by Harry)
    2. Marvolo's ring (destroyed by Dumbledore)
    3. Slytherin's locket (who knows where that is. only RAB knows at this point)
    4. Hufflepuff's cup

So there's supposed to be 2 more. I remember reading that in order to make a horcrux, you have to rip your soul apart. In order to rip your soul, you have to commit murder. Wasn't Voldy going to use the Potters' death to make a horcrux? That means before he murdered the Potters', there were only 5 horcruxes. Therefore, he hadn't made his 6th one yet.

So I think he was all ready to rip his soul and put it into some (unknown to us) horcrux. The plan backfired when Harry lived and somehow the soul might have been placed into Harry. Nobody wants to believe this theory because this would mean Harry would have to die. But get this! Dementor's are supposed to suck your soul out of you. I think a dementor will attempt to kill Harry, but will suck Voldy's soul out instead!!

Please let me know if I'm wrong or if you have a different opinion. I'd love to debate this with people who've read the books.

I like that. Good thinking.
    Only thing is I don't remember reading if Voldermort was killing the Potters to make a Horcrux. I'm not sure if that's true or theory.

• Rock Star Minion

I know what would help Gambon's acting ability: he should be dying a slow death while acting the role, as Richard Harris was. Too bad he's so healthy.

I think he's doing fine, the movies are being made as well as they can in their constricted time frames (book #5 is the longest, but movie #5 is the shortest so far -- director's request), and the books are way better than the movies.
    And I still would rather have an extended DVD version, say an hour or more of additional footage.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

3. Slytherin's locket (who knows where that is. only RAB knows at this point)...
    I thought that it was at the Noble and Ancient House of Black, referred to in Book 5 as a locket that wouldn't open, found while the kids were cleaning up the place.
    Mundungus could have filched it, though, referred in Book 6 when Harry bumped into him on the way back from the cave.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• I love loop jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I thought that it was at the Noble and Ancient House of Black, referred to in Book 5 as a locket that wouldn't open, found while the kids were cleaning up the place.
    Mundungus could have filched it, though, referred in Book 6 when Harry bumped into him on the way back from the cave.
    So is it possible that Regulus Black, Sirius' brother, knew Voldy was going to kill him, so he turned against Voldy, replaced the Horcrux locket with a fake, brought the real horcrux locket back to his house (House of Black), and hid it?

• I love loop jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri View Post

I like that. Good thinking.
    Only thing is I don't remember reading if Voldermort was killing the Potters to make a Horcrux. I'm not sure if that's true or theory.

It's just one of Dumbledore's theories. And there's a good chance Dumbledore is correct.

One point in favour of this is Dumbledore's theory that Voldemort was one Horcrux short of the total of six on the night that Voldemort murdered Harry's parents, and that the murders of Harry and his family were considered important enough deaths to be worthy of fueling the creation of a Horcrux. A point against this is that Voldemort has tried to kill Harry at least twice since his return, once on the night of the third task and once in the Atrium at the Ministry of Magic.
    http://www.hp-lexicon.org/magic/devices/horcruxes.html

• Rock Star Minion

So is it possible that Regulus Black, Sirius' brother, knew Voldy was going to kill him, so he turned against Voldy, replaced the Horcrux locket with a fake, brought the real horcrux locket back to his house (House of Black), and hid it?
    Yes, it's possible. It might be too obvious (having been noted on the internet since an hour after Book 6 came out).

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    In a way, it is unfair that audiences don't always take the director of a given film into account for character performances that are less than up to speed.
    Kind of like Star Trek when Roddenberry (bless him for creating the idea, but he couldn't implement it for beans) was in charge vs. when he isn't?
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub View Post
    Kind of like Star Trek when Roddenberry (bless him for creating the idea, but he couldn't implement it for beans) was in charge vs. when he isn't?
    Yes. Exactly. Or, the mood swings of the same director can make a difference in the quality of acting. Case in point - look at the difference between Geouge Lucas' original StarWars trilogy masterpiece, and the second trilogy farce.

Hopefully, the director of the next three Hary Potter flicks will become more enchanted about the film, and bring out the best in each of the characters. It would also help if all parties concerned should actually read the books.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Man O Lantern

Yep. That's what I thought the first time I read the sixth book--had to go back to #5 and find the pages that described Regulus' fate and a page later it describes Harry, et al. finding a heavy locket. I marked the pages two years ago and now that I'm rereading both books, I'm glad I did.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Yep. That's what I thought the first time I read the sixth book--had to go back to #5 and find the pages that described Regulus' fate and a page later it describes Harry, et al. finding a heavy locket. I marked the pages two years ago and now that I'm rereading both books, I'm glad I did.
    I need to start marking pages............
    I always tell myself that but I never do it. I get too into the book.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456