View Poll Results: How do you rate Transformers?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 stars! I loved it! Long live the autobots!

37 45.68%
  • 4 stars- entertaining escape from reality

33 40.74%
  • 3 stars- it was ok, like Nascar on steroids

4 4.94%
  • 2 stars- too many explosions

4 4.94%
  • 1 star- not enough Megatron

3 3.70%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415

• Knight of Naughtyness

Re: Transformers- MiceChat reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
    So far, the biggest adaptation movies that have flopped have all been so far removed from the source material as to be something else entirely. Whereas, movies that have stayed true to the source, have invariably done well (Lord of the Rings, Transformers, V for Vendetta- I don't care what Moore says).
    The worst offender had to be Godzilla! I mean, WTF!
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• More Than Meets The Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by ToyGuy View Post
    Of course Hasbro had a little more than just a passing association with the movie. Brian Goldner, who is a co-executive producer of the movie, is also the COO of Hasbro.
    That I knew.

I met his parents in the hotel elevator at the 'Con, nice people.
    Disneyland is the right of all sentient beings.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeymus Prime View Post
    So because Transformers started as a toyline, then the movie was made only to sell toys? Going by that logic, then the PotC movies were made to sell a ride. The Spider-Man and FF4 movies were made to sell comics. When you see the Disney logo or the Marvel logo in front of those movies, does that make you laugh out loud too?

I understand that people don't take Transformers seriously and that anything attached to them must be done so only to sell the toys. Why that is, is what I can't understand. Why can't the movie be just a movie? An awesome summer blockbuster movie, that yes has a line of toys based off the characters in the movie... but last I checked so does the PotC/SpiderMan/FF4/etc. movies as well. Maybe it's just the toy geek/Transformers fan in me that most people don't have the ability to connect with but when I saw the Hasbro credit in the movie I thought "Cool!" because they are putting their name on it and standing behind it and they are very proud of it. Even when I saw the movie in a theater full of Transformers fans at BotCon, everybody applauded at the Hasbro banner on the screen.
    I think what its about is simply marketing. Almost the same kind of marketing that brings you the Staples Center or American Airlines arena. Big names are attaching themselves to movies because movies are becoming a big thing. And when big blockbusters are released into theaters, there is a lot of marketing going into it, so they feed off each other. All the products that are being sold at your local walmart or mcdonalds happy meals help hype the movie, and the movie helps hype the products. And also, if you remember, there wasn't a lot of marketing for the first Pirates or Spiderman. Because they weren't sure if they were going to be successfull or not. Because they were successfull and popular, when their sequels came out, there was a lot of marketing riding on it. In regards to the success of Spiderman, even though the first X-Men was the "test" for the Marvel comics movies to see if they would be a big draw, it was the success of Spiderman that ultimately led to the release of its sequels and the other Marvel movies they had planned like Hulk, Daredevil, Fantastic 4, Elektra, and the upcoming Ironman. It's all about marketing. And since Transformers were so popular back in the 80s, with the classic cartoon, and the toys, I believe Bay wanted to bring them back in much better form using today's technology. Unlike the others I mentioned, Bay, Speilberg, and Hasbro took a gamble and put a lot of marketing on it, and so far, it looks like it paid off.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

So because Transformers started as a toyline, then the movie was made only to sell toys? Going by that logic, then the PotC movies were made to sell a ride. The Spider-Man and FF4 movies were made to sell comics. When you see the Disney logo or the Marvel logo in front of those movies, does that make you laugh out loud too?

I understand that people don't take Transformers seriously and that anything attached to them must be done so only to sell the toys. Why that is, is what I can't understand. Why can't the movie be just a movie? An awesome summer blockbuster movie, that yes has a line of toys based off the characters in the movie... but last I checked so does the PotC/SpiderMan/FF4/etc. movies as well. Maybe it's just the toy geek/Transformers fan in me that most people don't have the ability to connect with but when I saw the Hasbro credit in the movie I thought "Cool!" because they are putting their name on it and standing behind it and they are very proud of it. Even when I saw the movie in a theater full of Transformers fans at BotCon, everybody applauded at the Hasbro banner on the screen.

I take Transformers pretty seriously but when it comes to marketing and making a buck, this movie was only allowed because it was to sell a poop load of toys. I'm not making fun of the film. I'm not making fun of the property. That's just how the world works.

Of course Spielberg and Michael Bay see it differently and were in it to make a huge movie... and we're all so lucky that someone like Spielberg wanted to do this. But Hasbro probably wouldn't have approved this if they knew that the toy sales weren't there either. Hasbro is a toy company and that's what they do.

I think if Hasbro had a cool logo in front, it wouldn't have been laughed at. It's just that the movie starts off seriously and with freaky sounds... and then you see "In association with Hasbro" flash on the screen. It's just a huge disconnect.

If you went and saw a movie about chicken mcnuggets and a "in association with McDonald's" flashed on the screen, wouldn't you laugh too? It's just a big advertisement for their company. You'd think the title of the film was advertisement enough.

Again, I'm not making fun of Hasbro OR Transformers. It's just a lighter side of life I'm coming from and I find it humorous.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I take Transformers pretty seriously but when it comes to marketing and making a buck, this movie was only allowed because it was to sell a poop load of toys. I'm not making fun of the film. I'm not making fun of the property. That's just how the world works.

Of course Spielberg and Michael Bay see it differently and were in it to make a huge movie... and we're all so lucky that someone like Spielberg wanted to do this. But Hasbro probably wouldn't have approved this if they knew that the toy sales weren't there either. Hasbro is a toy company and that's what they do.

I think if Hasbro had a cool logo in front, it wouldn't have been laughed at. It's just that the movie starts off seriously and with freaky sounds... and then you see "In association with Hasbro" flash on the screen. It's just a huge disconnect.

If you went and saw a movie about chicken mcnuggets and a "in association with McDonald's" flashed on the screen, wouldn't you laugh too? It's just a big advertisement for their company. You'd think the title of the film was advertisement enough.

Again, I'm not making fun of Hasbro OR Transformers. It's just a lighter side of life I'm coming from and I find it humorous.
    I'm sure that there were more reasons to allow the movie than to just purely sell a lot of toys. I'm not saying at all that they didn't see the potential that a movie would give them to sell a lot of toys, but they also could've seen it as a gamble on their part as well. If the movie was a flop then that could've really hurt the franchise. None of the toys would've sold... ok, maybe none is an exaggeration, but you know what I'm saying. Having their name there wasn't merely just an advertisement either, it's no more than any other company be it Disney/Pixar or Paramount/Dreamworks putting their name on it.

I can see the the lighter side of life believe me, I just don't see how putting a company name that endorses a movie and who's COO was also one of the Exec. Producers is all that humorous. In fact if it was a flop it shows that they were willing to say "Hey, it's our fault too." but thankfully for them and everybody involved it was in no way a flop.

As far as a McNuggets movie... I would laugh at the fact that there was a movie for it before even getting to the point of seeing "In assocation with McDonald's" heheh. I know that was just an example you were giving...

• Neep meep beep

I can't say why everyone in the theater was laughing, but Cohoteboy couldn't be more right -- for me, seeing "HASBRO" on the screen, in serious lettering, was a little funny in the context of the film.

Like the McDonalds example -- it's like seeing "A presentation by Taco Bell" - you just don't normally see certain companies associated with film. It's not a bad thing, just a combination you don't normally see together.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    I can't say why everyone in the theater was laughing, but Cohoteboy couldn't be more right -- for me, seeing "HASBRO" on the screen, in serious lettering, was a little funny in the context of the film.

Like the McDonalds example -- it's like seeing "A presentation by Taco Bell" - you just don't normally see certain companies associated with film. It's not a bad thing, just a combination you don't normally see together.

Precisely. I imagine that when G.I.Joe finally gets itself made, the humor of it will be worn down. Or at this rate, probably will see Transformers 2 before G.I.Joe Movie.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: Transformers- MiceChat reviews

I saw Trasnformers this morning. I have to say it was one of the most awesome movies that I have ever seen! The special effects were awesome and the back story was great. For an action movie It had a lot of humor and I loved that. Explosions and tension are great...but you have to keep things light every once in awhile. Did anyone notice after the Autobots crashed to earth that the little girl that went out to see one of them was holding a My Little Pony plsuhie? I thought that was hilarious!

5 STARS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

We went to see this a second time last night, and we both agreed that it was much better the second time. Once you get past any expectations you may have for the film and enjoy it for what it is, it's much more entertaining.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper View Post
    I saw Trasnformers this morning. I have to say it was one of the most awesome movies that I have ever seen! The special effects were awesome and the back story was great. For an action movie It had a lot of humor and I loved that. Explosions and tension are great...but you have to keep things light every once in awhile. Did anyone notice after the Autobots crashed to earth that the little girl that went out to see one of them was holding a My Little Pony plsuhie? I thought that was hilarious!

5 STARS!!
    Yeah the My Little Pony plushie was pretty funny. Did you catch the Trailer of Furby's that was blown up? That one I thought was pretty funny as well, since I never cared for the little buggers, heheh.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Yeah the My Little Pony plushie was pretty funny. Did you catch the Trailer of Furby's that was blown up? That one I thought was pretty funny as well, since I never cared for the little buggers, heheh.
    No I did not notice that part but that sounds hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper View Post

5 STARS!!

Yeah, if I'm correct in remembering, my little pony was the most popular girl's toy back in the days of transformers being the most popular toy for boys.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415