Thread: King Tut

• Infinitized!

King Tut

"He gave his life for tourism!" - Steve Martin

Anybody going to see the King Tut exhibit that's supposed to be in LA this summer? A buch of artifacts from the Cairo museum. It will be scaled down - not as grand as the show that toured the States in the 70s. I wasn't born yet to see it back then but my parents saw it in Seattle. If I go to Disneyland this summer I'd like to see it.

• He's a tramp...

As a student of art history, I will be there. Egypt, but King Tut in general, has always fascinated me. Especially all the intrigue surrounding his "untimely" death. Can't wait!!!

-Stephen
    Do you remember your imagination?
    When Neverland was your destination.
    Your magical adventure isn't over yet,
    Just hold on tight and don't forget...

-Remember When, Theme of Disneyland's 50th

• Defying Gravity

Do you have any details of the when and where?
    You say Im a bitch like its a bad thing.

London BABY!!

• I Hug My Tapirs

Yes! I second the request for details! I was a big fan of Egyptology in middle school and high school, and I'd love to see that exhibit!
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries
    More about Tut here: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/ontv/120..._king_tut.html

Tickets will be as much as $30. OUCH
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    I can assure you that I will be there. I missed being able to see this (twice) when I was actually in Egypt, so I owe it to myself to go see it in person. My dream is to take Nathan & the kids to visit Egypt someday. I want to show them how beautiful it is. The locals say that if you drink from the Nile you are destined to return to Egypt. Quite true. I have been back once already.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• I Hug My Tapirs

Do they say anything about the intestinal parasites coming home with you if you drink from the Nile?

My best friend and I followed everything Egypt growing up. Of course, she just got home from spending a year studying in Cairo, so I'm extremely jealous. But she did bring me back lots of cool stuff.

I'll definitely be there to see it!
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    Do they say anything about the intestinal parasites coming home with you if you drink from the Nile?
    Yeah, they forgot to mention that. The story was told to me as I was sailing in a falouka on the Nile.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot
    Yeah, they forgot to mention that. The story was told to me as I was sailing in a falouka on the Nile.
    My zoology teacher in high school showed us tons of photos of what those do to you. I guess it's an especially bad problem since the Aswan Dam was built.

• Infinitized!

The best info about the exhibit can be found on the Los Angeles County Museum of Art website found here:
    King Tut Returns

Last year there was a traveling exhibit that came to Victoria (in BC) that I went to see. It was a collection of Egyptian artifacts from the British Museum - they even had a couple of mummies. It was very interesting and if I go to Disneyland this summer, I definitely want to go see King Tut. :o

For those that are interested, here's the lyrics to Steve Martin's "King Tut" SNL song (I think the part in bold is great):

King Tut (King Tut)
    Now when he was a young man,
    He never thought he'd see
    People stand in line to see the boy king.

(King Tut) How'd you get so funky?
    (funky Tut) Did you do the monkey?
    Born in Arizona,
    Moved to Babylonia (king Tut).

(king Tut) Now, if I'd known
    they'd line up just to see him,
    I'd trade in all my money
    And bought me a museum. (king Tut)

Buried with a donkey (funky Tut)
    He's my favorite honkey!
    Born in Arizona,
    Moved to Babylonia (king Tut)

Dancin' by the Nile, (Disco Tut)
    The ladies love his style, (boss Tut)
    Rockin' for a mile (rockin' Tut)
    He ate a crocodile.

He gave his life for tourism.
    Golden idol!
    He's an Egyptian
    They're sellin' you.

Now, when I die,
    now don't think I'm a nut,
    don't want no fancy funeral,
    Just one like ole king Tut. (king Tut)

He coulda won a Grammy,
    Buried in his Jammies,
    Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia,
    He was born in Arizona, got a condo made of stone-a,
    King Tut!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot
    Hi mamabot! I spent a month in Egypt in '77 and loved every minute. Unfortunately, the Tut Show was on the road at that time so there were lots of empty display cases in the Cairo Museum. I did get inside his tomb and saw the sarcophagus and wall paintings, which were spectacular.

They warned us when we boarded the felucca in Aswan not to even dangle a hand in the water no matter how hot we felt (it was 110 degrees F) because of bilharzia or schistosomiasis. It was rampant among the Egyptians back then. Believe it's a microscopic snail that gets into the skin and lays eggs which in turn hatch, etc.

Our boat would dock each night next to a town and it was amazing to see the village at dusk, bathing, drinking the water and rinsing off their water buffalo all within yards of each other.

• Practically Perfect

I'm pretty sure I saw the one you're talking about. When it was in Colorado...at least I think it was the same one. Anywho, I'm a huge Egypt fan, so I went and I really enjoyed it. Some of it was of course History based and since I'm such a big fan it was mostly review, but that didn't cut back from the quality of the experiance! I would highly recomend going if you can!