http://www.1-18-08.com/
    http://www.ethanhaaswasright.com/
    http://ethanhaaswaswrong.blogspot.com/

Paramount rolls in the 'Cloverfield'

By Borys Kit and Tatiana Siegel
    The Hollywood Reporter
    July 6, 2007

J.J. Abrams

While unleashing "Transformers" onscreen this week, Paramount also lifted the lid on a top-secret project in the form of a teaser trailer for a new film, "Cloverfield."

"Cloverfield," which revolves around a monster attack in New York as told from the point of view of a small group of people, is being produced by J.J. Abrams. It is being directed by Matt Reeves, who co-created "Felicity" with Abrams, and is written by Drew Goddard, who has worked with Abrams on "Lost" and "Alias."

Paramount greenlighted the project under a veil of heavy secrecy in February, about the same time that Abrams agreed to the take over the directing reins of the new "Star Trek" film.

The casting process was just as mysterious. No scripts or even scene pages were sent out; agents who were contacted were simply asked if their client wanted to be in the movie or not. Eventually a cast, made up mostly of relative unknowns, was put together; it includes Michael Stahl-David ("The Black Donnellys"), Odet Jasmin, Mike Vogel ("Supercross") and Lizzy Kaplan ("The Class").

The movie, which is believed to have a relatively modest budget of about $30 million, began shooting in mid-June in New York. With "Transformers" generating huge tracking numbers in the weeks before its release, the studio decided to put footage from "Cloverfield" in a teaser in front of "Transformers" to build buzz.

After first presenting the Paramount and Bad Robot logos -- Bad Robot being Abrams' shingle -- the trailer opens with scenes from a surprise going-away party in a New York bar with a view of the city. Before long, a thundering roar is heard, and by the time guests run downstairs, pandemonium and flaming debris are hitting the streets. After a huge explosion at the lower end of Manhattan, what appears to be the head of the Statue of Liberty comes hurtling up the street like a giant projectile.

The trailer's footage is shot by a hand-held camera, home-movie style, giving it a sort of "Armageddon" meets " The Blair Witch Project" feel, though it is not clear if the entire movie follows that style. While the trailer does not reveal the name of the movie, it does announce a release date of Jan. 18.

Several copies of the trailer, seemingly shot in theaters with a camcorder, were posted on YouTube by Thursday morning. But by Thursday afternoon, some links had been taken down, replaced by an advisory saying, "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Paramount Pictures Corp."

Producing the movie along with Abrams is Bryan Burk, who has worked on such Abrams shows as "Lost," "Six Degrees" and "What About Brian." Guy Riedel and Sherryl Clark are executive producing.

"Cloverfield" is shooting in New York.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...76329c1ca10481
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

•   

Re: 'Cloverfield' 1/18/08

They sure did a great job of showing that trailer and getting everyone excited for it!!

• Happy Memories

The trailer did an amazing job of getting people interested in the film, but I have to question the decision not to include a film title. Everyone around me at theater said the exact same thing, "that looks really cool, but what the heck is it?"

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

I kinda just wasted about an hour on that stupid website (http://www.ethanhaaswasright.com/) playing the 5 puzzles and it was kind of a let down
    All it did was make me paranoid and frustrated and tell me to come back on August 1st.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    The trailer did an amazing job of getting people interested in the film, but I have to question the decision not to include a film title. Everyone around me at theater said the exact same thing, "that looks really cool, but what the heck is it?"
    Sounds like a successful teaser trailer to me.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

anyone else playing this ARG? Its confusing. Finished the puzzles and now i found this site http://theparasitemovie.com/. Notice the link on the bottom http://www.tossinggames.com/.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

MICE CHAT EXCLUSIVE!!!

'Cloverfield' will begin shooting on location at the Westfield Santa Anita Mall in Arcadia, California, across from the historic Santa Anita Park Racetrack on Monday July 9th. Looks like the JC Penny store will be used as a location for the film, trailers and trucks are already onsite.

UPDATE: Looks as if the former site of the Robinsons May store there will be used for the film.

Basecamp

Catering

a rental

Last edited by ALIASd; 07-08-2007 at 02:36 PM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

J.J.'s not directing this film (he's producing it and is in pre-production to direct a 'Star Trek' film) as this article's photo caption states.
    I would expect a formal correction to be forthcoming.

Mystifying trailer transforms marketing

Reuters
    Abrams: Lost co-creator directs mystery film.

By Anthony Breznican
    USA TODAY
    July 9, 2007

What is it?

That's the question moviegoers are asking about a mysterious trailer promoting an unnamed film shown in previews before Transformers.
    It's possibly Hollywood's biggest experiment with reverse psychology, creating immense want-to-see passion in people by refusing to say anymore.

The footage is grainy home video of a party in New York, featuring happy-looking twentysomethings dancing and mugging for the camera before disaster strikes.

The lights go out. The party people go to the roof and see huge fireballs erupting in the city. Panic ensues and the group runs to the street, where something large hurtles through the sky and crash-lands in the street in a heap of burned wreckage.

It's the Statue of Liberty's head.

There is no title on the trailer. The date 1/18/08 is shown, along with a line saying it is produced by Lost co-creator and Mission: Impossible III director J.J. Abrams.

The project is known by the code name Cloverfield, but that is not the real title, according to Paramount Pictures, the source of the trailer.

Hollywood-Elsewhere.com's Jeffrey Wells says the trailer is a clever ploy working just as the studio hoped.

"It's probably more enticing to not quite know what is that they're putting across," he says. "It's always better when you can arouse imaginations and get them wondering without making things too explicit. That's not the age and aesthetic of today. Everybody wants things right on the nose."

On the Web, at Fourth of July barbecues and at post-Transformers screening dinners, people wanted to know more. Harry Knowles, the online king of movie previews at AintItCool.com, says Paramount's unique marketing campaign will "drive all the rest of us crazy. The worst thing about releasing a film without a title is my phone starts ringing at inappropriate times in the morning and night. When you have your phone number on your website, people think, 'Let's call him and ask him what we saw."

His theory, based on puzzle websites Paramount set up as clues, such as the fake prophet page EthanHaasWasRight.com, is that the film will involve the late H.P. Lovecraft's tales of monstrous ancient gods wreaking havoc on Earth.

Other online speculators theorize the film is the long-promised Voltron movie (which would explain its placement at the beginning of the Transformers film) about ancient robotic lions that form the titular giant to defend Earth from invasion. More stabs in the dark are that it's a new Godzilla film, a big-screen takeoff on Abrams' Lost TV series or an entirely original project.

Paramount has not posted the trailer online, and pirated versions are being quickly stamped out by the studio, claiming copyright violation.

All that Paramount sources will say is that they can't say anything. Yet.
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...-trailer_N.htm
    Last edited by ALIASd; 07-08-2007 at 07:11 PM.

• off in lala land

The two big stabs in the dark about this movie is that it's either Voltron or another rendition of Godzilla...

guess we have to stay tuned.
    ...it's been a long time.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

If Paramount currently owns the rights to either, it could be on!

•   

But why would there be talk about "The Parasite"?

• Disneyland is your land.

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey View Post
    The two big stabs in the dark about this movie is that it's either Voltron or another rendition of Godzilla...

guess we have to stay tuned.
    I was thinking that it is going to be a Godzilla remake. As well, I'm a big LOST fan, so when I saw the Bad Robot title card I almost jumped out of my chair.

I think I read somewhere that the entire movie is filmed with handheld cameras but that could just be speculation at this point. Definitely going to check out those links at the top.
    Class of 2005...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by ssmccullough View Post
    I was thinking that it is going to be a Godzilla remake. As well, I'm a big LOST fan, so when I saw the Bad Robot title card I almost jumped out of my chair.

I think I read somewhere that the entire movie is filmed with handheld cameras but that could just be speculation at this point. Definitely going to check out those links at the top.
    I saw a Panavision truck there onsite too. Maybe we'll get more photos later.

• off in lala land

Quote Originally Posted by ssmccullough View Post

Yeah, I read it was going to have the feel of "Blair Witch"- I hope not so much. It was a great teaser and is causing the buzz they wanted.
    ...it's been a long time.

• Disneyland is your land.

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey View Post
    Yeah, I read it was going to have the feel of "Blair Witch"- I hope not so much. It was a great teaser and is causing the buzz they wanted.
    Yeah the "blair witch" feel in a disaster like movie (since these are the only clues we have right now) is intruiging it could get a little mind boggling for an entire feature film -- action movies have enough quick cuts as is.

The teaser was awesome. Deep down I hope its a big screen version of Lost, but that doesn't make much sense from the trailer.
    Class of 2005...

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast