• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Pirates Online Launch Delayed Until Fall

Disney has delayed until Fall the launch of Pirates of the Caribbean Online, the massively multiplayer online (MMO) game where players take on the roles of pillaging and plundering pirates. The game had originally been scheduled for a Spring release.

In a statement sent to beta testers and posted on www.piratesonline.com, Disney announced, "We believe we need some additional development time and have decided to move the launch of the game to this Fall. This gives us some extra time to further enhance the game, respond to additional data we've collected during Beta testing, and incorporate more of the input we have received from you, our players."

Under the revised schedule, Disney will complete Phase 1 Beta testing on July 16th and continue with Phase 2 Beta testing in September.

In Pirates of the Caribbean Online, players will interact with characters Captain Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, Elizabeth Swann and others as they battle evil creatures, skeletons and British soldiers, form pirate crews and sail the Caribbean in search of fortune and adventure.
    Last edited by disneytim; 07-06-2007 at 02:25 PM.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Re: Pirates Online Launch Delayed Until Fall

I was wondering what was up with that game. Thanks for the update, disneytim. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer to sail with Captain Jack.

• Yes?

Huh...I didn't even know anything about this game! Thanks for the update, it gave me the chance to learn about the game and sign up for notification of when it's ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• To infinity & beyond!!

hmmm, seems like they might be timing it to coincide with a DVD release?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by babyfirefly View Post
    hmmm, seems like they might be timing it to coincide with a DVD release?
    I think timing's less of an issue right now, considering they were originally planning to launch it to coincide with POTC: AWE's theatrical release in May. I suppose it would be a bonus for Pirates Online to make its official debut when the DVD does, but the priority seems to be for Disney to just get the game right.

I've been a Beta tester for a few months now and I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far. Not being a hardcore gamer, I found the interface very intuitive. It's not difficult to learn movements or gameplay. Quests are challenging, but not discouragingly difficult. It's also a great stress reliever if all you want to do is hack away at skeletons and British soldiers with your sword. The game will appeal to intense gamers and casual players alike.
    Last edited by disneytim; 07-07-2007 at 07:35 AM.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

Yup, been a Beta tester since the Pirate Fan Event when we got the codes.
    I enjoy it a lot though like most games I play it non-stop, stop playing for a while, then play again. I probably haven't logged in a week or so.
    They also sent out a survey to beta testers the other day. All about what you liked and didn't like, what you'd change that sort of stuff,
    My biggest issue is lag, but that's probably just my slow moving comp. I shudder to think what will happen when more users are added

• MiceChat Partner Site

Disney Delays Pirates Online Game

REUTERS -- (July 11, 2007) Disney has officially moved the launch date for its massively mutli-player online game "Pirates of the Caribbean Online" from summer to fall.

The MMO, which is based on the popular amusement park ride and film franchise and has been in beta testing for the past several months, originally was scheduled to be ready closer to the theatrical release of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."

In a statement, Disney Online cited the need for additional development time as reason for the delay.

"After a careful internal assessment of the state of game development as well as a review of external feedback, we have elected to spend additional development time," the company said.

"We will use this extra time to further enhance the game, respond to additional data we've collected during beta testing and incorporate more of the input we have gathered."

The MMO, which is designed as a computer game set in a virtual world, is an important one for Disney because it is deliberately geared toward a nontraditional gaming audience.

The game incorporates community features and will provide a wealth of demographic information about its users. It is also Disney's largest effort thus far to create a virtual world experience as an extension of a Disney franchise.

The game is subscription-based, but participants can play it a third of the way through without subscribing — but they will be subjected to ads.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
    Four years of magic and still going strong.

Lag has been the biggest issue for me. It's almost unbearable. It's good that they delay the launch to fix the problems.

• Imagine If.

Can we sign up for the season 2 of the beta testing? If so then where?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dollars View Post
    Can we sign up for the season 2 of the beta testing? If so then where?
    From Pirates Online:

July 16, 2007: Thank you for playing! Phase 1 of the Beta test is now complete - Phase 2 will begin in September

Please note: As a Beta tester from Phase 1, you will automatically have access to Phase 2 - there is no need to sign up again.

If you do not have a Beta account and wish to participate in Phase 2 of the Beta test, please register at www.piratesonline.com/beta.

In the meantime, we have some exciting things coming your way, including a brand-new website, community contests, more updates from the development team and tons of updated game assets. You can continue to get all of this information and more at PiratesOnline.com.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Disney has quietly started Phase 2 Beta testing this week.

Details are at http://apps.pirates.go.com/pirates/v...easenotes.html.

Beta testers from Phase 1 will automatically be given access to Phase 2. Those wishing to be Beta testers can put in their request by registering at https://apps.pirates.go.com/pirates/...ster2/register.

• Donalds younger brother

I have been beta testing it and it freezes up all the time.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by misterp102778 View Post
    I have been beta testing it and it freezes up all the time.
    Precisely why it's still in beta. My issues haven't been with the screen freezing, but rather with the game just shutting down on me without warning. Annoying, but that's why we file bug reports.

Overall, gameplay has improved significantly, from simple logistical changes like moving the Port Royal jail to more complex visual enhancements (reflections in the water, sunrises/sunsets, etc.). I continue to be impressed and I'm thoroughly enjoying the game.

The scorpions and crabs creep me out though.