• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Bye Bye 'Beauty'

Bye Bye Beauty

By Harry Haun
    Playbill.com
    06 Jul 2007

Anneliese van der Pol stars as the final Belle in Beauty and the Beast.
    photo by George Holz
    As Disney's Beauty and the Beast ends its fairy-tale run on Broadway, we catch up with cast members past and present.
    Beauty and the Beast, the Alan Menken– Howard Ashman/Tim Rice– Linda Woolverton tunefest, will give its 5,464th — and last — Broadway performance on July 29, sailing off into the history books as not only the sixth longest-running Broadway show of all time but also the longest-running production at the Palace and the Lunt-Fontanne Theatres.

To mark the milestone, Disney threw a birthday bash to end 'em all (literally, alas), inviting back to its stage castle for a photo shoot all 250-plus who've trod Beauty's Broadway boards in those 13 years. Some 135 showed, and after, they adjourned to Sardi's Eugenia Room for good fellowship and a festive repast.

The room was lit flickeringly with Lumieres. There were tinklings of Belles here and there and a host of household utensils yearning to be "Human Again" (clocks, teapots, chipped teacups, salt shakers, spatulas). But there was only one Beast in the room, the once and current Beast, Steve Blanchard, and he received a caricature as The Beast. (The only other actor that Sardi's has caricatured in character is Michael Crawford as The Phantom of the Opera.)
    You'd think, at run's end, Broadway's longest-running Beast (eight years, plus three more on tour) would reveal how he makes that startling, magical switch at the end from Beast to Prince. Well, think again. "Belle's love makes me do it," Blanchard replies with a steely smile. Which is what Terrence Mann, the original Beast, said. "See?" Blanchard grins. "We're all programmed alike." It was a kick for him to be onstage with co-stars past and present: "'This Is Your Life,' la Beauty and the Beast. It's been the most wonderful theatre experience."
    "People really love this show," says the Lumiere from Avenue Q, John Tartaglia. "It's a show with heart. You can be dazzled, you can be exhilarated, but if you've been moved in some way, that's the most powerful kind of theatre. To see people leaving the theatre from 99 to 4, all of them moved by the same experience — for me, that's just so very gratifying."
    Full article at:
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/109377.html

'Beauty' sets Broadway closing date - Variety - 1/18/07
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...beast+broadway

Re: Bye Bye 'Beauty'

Sad to see it go. I always wanted to see it in New York, and regret not buying a program when we were near the theater back in 1998.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

My old theatre instructor once told me how the magical switch is made- its a pretty neat trick, though I haven't seen it up close enough to confirm it. I just wonder how dinner theaters pull it off!
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• I was deleted.

I was glad that I was able to see this show last month before it closed. But I can't wait for The Little Mermaid!

• Fairies and Mermaids!

Saw it on tour in Sacramento, yeah I know it's not the same, but it was magical all the same. And I'll have the memories of seeing it and then performing it last year as Gaston. Fun! BatB, we will miss you.

Remember, Dreams come true!... and mermaids are hot, even on Halloween.

• Feeling LOVED

I saw the traveling show about 10 years ago in Century city...and had super bad seats....I got the chance to see it last year in New York with amazning seats and was blown away!!! What a beautiful musical.
    HEARTS CLUB !!

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

I saw it in 2004 And I fell in love with the musical