• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Ratatouille' tops weekend with $47.2 million

"Exotic" in relation to the average Black Angus Steakhouse visitor's upscale dining perspective, let alone kids that feast on Happy Meals, etc.

And 'Evan' would appear to be nearly history. Why a virtual sequel to a lousy movie anyway?

'Ratatouille' cooks up $47.2M at the box office

By Scott Bowles
    USA TODAY
    July 1, 2007

Ratatouille served up $47.2 million in theaters this weekend, according to studio estimates from box office trackers Nielsen EDI.

The animated story about a rat who yearns to be a chef fell about $4 million short of most analysts' projections and had the lowest opening of any Pixar film since 1998?s A Bug?s Life, which opened to $33.3 million.

But the studio, which released hits including Finding Nemo and The Incredibles, enjoyed its eighth wide-release debut at No. 1, easily beating out Live Free or Die Harder. The fourth installment of the Die Hard franchise did $33.2 million, slightly higher than projected.

Executives at Disney, which distributed Ratatouille, were confident the movie would play through Labor Day.

"With the Fourth of July holiday coming up, we see this as essentially a 10-day opening period," says Chuck Viane, distribution chief for Disney. "And with the reaction we're getting from critics and audiences, I'm confident we'll be talking about this as one of the biggest movies of the year."

It's a bold assertion, given that the film centers on three things American moviegoers seem to have little craving for: rats, bistros and the French.
    But the movie has enjoyed some of the strongest reviews of the year, earning recommendations from 95% of critics, according to the survey site RottenTomatoes.com.

Live Free also did surprisingly well with reviewers and audiences, who did not seemed bothered that the franchise had been dormant for 12 years. The Bruce Willis action film took in $2 million more than expected.

"People still love (Willis' character) John McLane," says Bert Livingston of 20th Century Fox, which distributed Live Free. "He's one of those few heroes that really does seem like an Everyman, and people haven't forgotten about him."

They might be forgetting about Evan Almighty, which dropped 52% from its No. 1 debut to take third place and $15.1 million. With a reported budget of $175 million one of the most expensive comedies in Hollywood history Evan has taken in $60.6 million so far and appears to be fading.

The Stephen King horror film 1408 was fourth with $10.6 million, followed by Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surver with $9 million.

The only other newcomer in wide release, the Michael Moore documentary Sicko, was No. 9 with a middling $4.5 million, about $3 million less than expected. Playing in 441 theaters, the film did a solid if unspectacular $10,200 a theater.

Hollywood broke its four-week slump as ticket sales were up 2% over the same weekend last year.
    Final figures are due Monday.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...analysis_N.htm

• Circle of Ancients

Re: 'Ratatouille' tops weekend with $47.2 million

I like the Shrek movies, I REALLY do ... but I just don't understand why so many people went to see Shrek on opening weekend, yet Ratatouille makes less than 1/2 that amount.

Granted, we didn't see Ratatouille this weekend as we opted for a comfy weekend at home.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I like the Shrek movies, I REALLY do ... but I just don't understand why so many people went to see Shrek on opening weekend, yet Ratatouille makes less than 1/2 that amount.
    It had the luxury of two sucessful films and tons of merchandising in front of it despite less than enthusiatic response, it was "review-proof". 'Ratatouille' is completely new and original, as well as artistically and technically superior. It will make its way on great reviews, word-of-mouth and shiny statuettes at year's end.

• FuseMP

I really hate all the comparing of how Ratatouille does financially compared to other Pixar movies, especially when it's done without any real context.

So it's the lowest opening weekend since Toy Story 2, are we therefore suggesting that the Toy Story movies were dissapointing at the box office? Of course not. There's only been 7 Pixar movies before Ratatouille, it's beaten 3 of them for opening weekend and the other 4 was so promoted for so long before their release they were obvioulsy going to do well, plus they weren't opening in such blockbuster periods, plus the market wasn't over saturated with CG movies in those years.

The market has changed, how many CG movies opened the same year as Nemo? Shark Tail and ? i can't remember any more. This year it's probably into double figures.

Ratatouille is a damn good movie and even though it wont be the biggest movie of the year and even though it wont make as much as other Pixar movies have done in the past, it will make A LOT of money and it will become another Pixar/Disney classic.
    Last edited by StrongStyle; 07-01-2007 at 01:31 PM.

• Resident Ghost

Actually, you all need to realize something. All of Pixar's movies up to Cars were released in November. Now that Pixar movies are coming out in the summer, next to some big dogs, they're not going to make as much!

• Resident Ghost

Re: A 4-star Opening For A Rat Chef

Again, this movie can't be compared to other Pixar films. Every Pixar film except for Ratatouille and Cars has been released in November!

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by MRBboy2005 View Post
    Actually, you all need to realize something. All of Pixar's movies up to Cars were released in November.
    Nope.

Finding Nemo was released in May 2003.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    It had the luxury of two sucessful films and tons of merchandising in front of it despite less than enthusiatic response, it was "review-proof". 'Ratatouille' is completely new and original, as well as artistically and technically superior. It will make its way on great reviews, word-of-mouth and shiny statuettes at year's end.
    It will do well. I have already seen it twice, and I'm not even tired of it. I could it watch it three more times. It will do well in the award category. If Shrek wins an award come year end, I will be mad. I was disgusted at the film and how it used those transvestites for humor. Never will I see a Dreamworks Animation film again.

• Directly directed

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    It will do well. I have already seen it twice, and I'm not even tired of it. I could it watch it three more times. It will do well in the award category. If Shrek wins an award come year end, I will be mad. I was disgusted at the film and how it used those transvestites for humor. Never will I see a Dreamworks Animation film again.
    I totally missed the transvestites. I just thought it was a stupid movie.
    Anywho I'm glad Ratatouille came out on top, though i was hoping it would make a little bit more money. Mind you I didn't help contribute. I'll be seeing on the 4th.

• Minion

Wall Street was expecting a higher return... They where projecting somewhere around 80 million over the weekend...

Disney was expecting about 40 million...

I think the film would have gotten a higher figgure provided that most of those who where big fans of Pixar weren't waiting in the iPhone lines which seemed to be much longer than those for Ratatouille all weekend long...

What do you think was the bigger release?
    Check out my other blog:

• The one, the only...

I think that it will do well. I know that if families are planning on going to the movies for Independence day, they probably are not going this weekend. I think that all this week Ratatouille will do well at the box office, so that at the end of one week of showing it will be blowing the other films of the water. This film will have legs, as they say in the trade.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Ratatouille' Box Office Numbers

'Ratatouille' adds Friday special of $9.5 million to serve up $90 million at the box office thus far. The film is playing on 3,940 screens.

DreamWorks and Paramount's "Transformers" made an estimated $22.5 million on Friday, pushing the tentpole past the $100 million mark for a new total of $107.4 million. Pic, directed by Michael Bay, is playing on 4,011 screens.

20th Century Fox's "Live Free or Die Hard" took in an estimated $5.3 million for a new cume of $72.2 million from 3,411 screens.
    Read more on this story at:
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR380...goryid=13&cs=1

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

$109.5 million for 'Ratatouille'

In its second weekend on 3,940 screens 'Ratatouille' has cooked up another $29 million to raise its riches to $109.5 million. As expected, the film came in second place to DreamWorks' 'Transformers' which over it's 6 1/2 day opening frame made $152.5 million on 4,011 screens. Bruce Willis' fourth turn as "Detective John McClane" in 'Live Free or Die Hard' shot it's way to 3rd with $17.4 million to bring its box office haul to $84.2 million so far.

Read more on the story at:
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1