Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Old Timer

War of the Worlds- 2005

Whats with Spielburg? This movie is nothing but ideas stolen from a few other films like the Matrix and Star Wars. What ever happened to the immortal story that H.G. Wells wrote about? I'm disapointed in this film, it could have been done much different instead of looking like a bunch of short stories.

Its like another film that George Lucas thought of what could sell as fluff at the box office with no real quality in the story like SW episode 1 or 2.

Now I know why there was a media review blackout issued by Spielburg, this movie isn't all that great, the only real heroes are the military which for anybodys info are real US soldiers.

Has Tom Cruise lost his ability to be a good actor anymore? Granted IMHO he never ranked high in the first place except in a few movies like Top Gun.

Well heres to waiting for the next major movie...what? no more this summer?
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr D
    Whats with Spielburg? This movie is nothing but ideas stolen from a few other films like the Matrix and Star Wars. What ever happened to the immortal story that H.G. Wells wrote about? I'm disapointed in this film, it could have been done much different instead of looking like a bunch of short stories.

Its like another film that George Lucas thought of what could sell as fluff at the box office with no real quality in the story like SW episode 1 or 2.

Now I know why there was a media review blackout issued by Spielburg, this movie isn't all that great, the only real heroes are the military which for anybodys info are real US soldiers.

Has Tom Cruise lost his ability to be a good actor anymore? Granted IMHO he never ranked high in the first place except in a few movies like Top Gun.

Well heres to waiting for the next major movie...what? no more this summer?

I am going to go ahead and disagree with you...I thought it was a great movie. It is a real change for me to see a movie actually know how to use CGI. All the emotions that Spielburg wanted me to feel I felt. I was even scared at certain points during the film (and to be honest after the film as well) I hated Dakota Fanning's character, but I respect her so much more for playing that part, with younger siblings I can relate so well.

This movie was everything I expected from it, and I refuse to let internet negative reviews bring it down for me.

Steven Spielberg is back in his prime.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Best Buds

There was a second version of War of the Worlds just released (mostly direct-to-DVD, but played in a few theaters). It's actually set in the Victorian era, like the novel. However, the reviews have been mostly poor. I'll probably end up renting at some point.
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    I am going to see it this afternoon. Lets just say I am glad I get paid to see movies like this instead of vice versa.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    I am going to see it this afternoon. Lets just say I am glad I get paid to see movies like this instead of vice versa.
    Now there's a gig I'd love to get into. Paid to see movies? Lucky Dramaqueen...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Exactly. And Hollywod wonders why they are in a financial slump? It is $9.50 a ticket here. Near $40 to take my family? It better be one Great Film for that!

I Wont see it just for the fact Tom Cruise makes my stomach turn, and not just from his midlife crisis/Katie Holmes thing, but going back years. I Might Rent it for a laugh later on though.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

After seeing the trailers for this movie, The Terminal and Minority Report, I can't get myself excited for it. I dunno why. Oh well, I'll probably see it anyhow.

I saw it this morning and its all images. There's no acting and whomever came up with the story points missed the mark. Had they hired a decent writer, I think this would have been much better. The effects are great and very subtle, which is the plus, but there isn't anything else in the movie at all beyone stuff swiped from other movies.

The original with Gene Berry is SO much better.

This gets 3 Bornieo's out of 10. (and I saw it free too and got paid!)

• Circle of Ancients

How is the movie for kids who have seen Independence Day, Spiderman, Hulk, SW III and similar type movies? Any more intense than that?

Those were better movies Sir Clink!

Seriously, I think its along the same lines. It might be a bit too intense for younger than 7-8 I think... especially some of the more "suspenseful" scenes and maybe some of the "killing."

• Minion

It turns out, it's not the end of the world. You just wish it were by the
    end of the movie.

This movie is pretty bad. Casting Cruise in it assures you that nothing bad is ever going to happen to him and his awful "Bratpack." Unknowns would've made it a much more compelling picture if only they had spent the time to write a better script.

The best science fiction movies are grounded in everyday life, as pictures such as "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" ably demonstrate. But "War of the Worlds" operates at such a distant remove from reality that when the invasion turns hundreds of thousands of people into refugees, wandering across New Jersey, we don't see a single displaced dog among them.

The movie is loaded with visual effects that keep dad and his children in constant peril and there are wonderful images in the film.

Then we arrive at a long scene involving Tim Robbins as a looney in a basement involving an alien probe that is sent into a basement to search for humans, which is odd, because until then the invaders have simply been blasting buildings to bits, vaporizing everybody in them. When they come to the house where Cruise is hiding they start going door to door like Jehovah's Witness .

When they come to the house where Cruise is hiding they start going door to door like Jehovah's Witness .
    Damn funny.... but true.

Avon calling!!

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    saw the movie this afternoon. Here goes:

1. Fantastic special effects- if you are going to see it at all, see it in theaters because your tv won't do them justice

2. Plot/ acting = TERRIBLE! I hated Cruise and his whole stupid family- if this is our example of the human race and who we want to win- vaporize them all!!!!!! With Cruise being in the news so much lately, I was really rooting for him to die. That and his constant prosthelitizing for scientology made me wonder if all this was really happening, wouldn't Tom being throwing a Welcome Home party for the alien overlords? Maybe I misunderstood that part of scientology 101......

3. Too many naggy things. Like when the aliens first arrive, they make a point of showing that everything electronic doesn;t work- yet people are taking pictures and video of them. And when the people get zapped, why do their clothes stay intact. To many plot hole- Speilburg should know better.

4. Ending was too abrupt. Interesting characters and subplots are skipped over. Although, I hope they saved some of the set pieces, because they will make a fabulous addition to the tram tour at Universal Studios Hollywood.

All in all, a decent matinee movie, but too intense for little ones. This is definitely more for adults. The family dynamic of the main characters is annoying and it is hard to care about them, but the special effects make up for all this, they are really great.

Do you MiceChat?

DMCA for life, yo.

• Minion

saw the movie this afternoon. Here goes:

4. Ending was too abrupt. Interesting characters and subplots are skipped over. Although, I hope they saved some of the set pieces, because they will make a fabulous addition to the tram tour at Universal Studios Hollywood.
    Spoiler
    Unfortunately that is the way it is with the plot line to every version of War of the Worlds I have seen... Including Orson Wells... The Aliens die because they can't breath oxigen and the last place you see everyone congregate is in a church... Which is not very POMO...

The idea was that it is only by faith can America be saved from invasion...

I don't know if it is the case with this movie or not... So I don't believe the above is a spoiler...
    Check out my other blog:

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast