• Banned User

Greek on ABC Family

Has anyone been seeing these promos for the show Greek that starts on ABC Family tonight? It looks like it could be a pretty fun show - and I've been feeling all college nostalgic since I went back to visit my old campus last weekend. I miss it!

I think I will have to check it out - is anyone else planning on watching it?

• Oh bother!

Re: Greek on ABC Family

Unfortunately I don't get that channel in Canada, so I can't watch. But I read a magazine review that said while the show is full of clichés, Spencer Grammer (Kelsey Grammer's daughter) is quite good.
    WDW '82 '90 '94 '99 '01 '04 '09x2 '10
    DLR '05 '06 '08 '13

• Googly eyed

I watched it last night, it was actually pretty good. At least I thought it was. The roommate Dale, he's my favorite. NOw I can't wait for next Monday.
    STACIE and YODA-Dland partners for life

And, I , I close my eyes
    And, I kiss that frog
    Each time finding
    The more boys I meet the more I love my dog

Who'd'ya think you're kiddin'
    He's the Earth and heaven to you

• For You!

My husband saw the ads for it, and said, "That's on ABC Family??" It looked like it had the potential to be funny, yet a little raunchy.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

•   
    • So fetch

ABC Family airs the mini-series It. Not exactly a family movie.

I recorded Greek but haven't watched it yet. I liked Spencer Grammer when she was on As The World Turns. I love watching/reading anything that deals with college greek life.

• MiceChat Partner Site

Disney Series Takes a Mature Look at Greek Life

BUFFALO NEWS -- (July 6, 2007) When you think of the Greek fraternity system in college, the words “now there’s a heartwarming Disney TV series” don’t immediately come to mind.

After all, one doesn’t normally associate underage drinking and sex with Disney shows.

Which is why it is a smart idea for parents to see what Disney’s basic cable channel, ABC Family, is selling in the new tween and teen series, “Greek,” from Patrick Sean Smith (“Wildfire,” “Summerland”). It premieres at 9 p.m. Monday.

“Greek” has the usual Disney mix of family, humor, life lessons and moral dilemmas. But it doesn’t avoid experimentations with alcohol or sex, which may make the series more adult and honest about college life than some parents would prefer. After all, the channel appeals to children considerably younger than college age.

Speaking of parents, Kelsey Grammer has to be a proud one since the series stars his attractive daughter, Spencer Grammer. She plays Casey, a pretty blonde who is heavy in sorority politics and considers her extremely bright younger brother, Rusty (Jacob Zachar), such a liability that she has denied his existence for years.

“Guys in fraternities are hot and don’t study engineering,” Casey cruelly tells her brother.

To her horror, Rusty has chosen the same college, Cyprus- Rhodes, where he can alternately embarrass his socialclimbing sister and protect her.

Casey is a popular girl with a rich boy friend and fraternity leader, Evan (Jake McDorman), who is considered a catch even though he is ethically challenged.

Besides protecting his sister and getting good grades, Rusty seems determined to have a good time and overcome stereotypes. He cluelessly believed that might be easier once he left home. Zachar does an excellent job playing a naive freshman who doesn’t immediately understand that the college world is divided into cool and uncool camps. Rusty is the show’s most sympathetic and likable character, a guy who wants to change his image without changing his ethics.

His roommate, Dale (Clark Duke), is a fellow engineering nerd who has what could be an added collegiate burden. He is deeply religious. The character could become a stereotype, but Dale eventually gives his roommate some excellent advice that illustrates he isn’t only around to make fun of his values.

The good-looking and racially diverse cast also includes Amber Stevens as Casey’s best friend, Ashleigh; Paul James as one of Rusty’s new friends, Calvin; Dilshad Vadsaria as Rebecca, a flirtatious senator’s daughter and prize pledge; and Scott Michael Foster as Casey’s funloving, ex-boyfriend, Cappie.

The pilot episode sets up all the relationships with some good humor. However, don’t kid yourself. This is college, time for experimentation. The students don’t always pass the ethics tests they face and seem to accept each other’s serious moral lapses surprisingly well.

One imagines that not all parents will endorse all of the show’s behavior, but at least like almost all Disney productions, “Greek” has its heart in the right place.

Old Home Week II . . . Not surprisingly, the recent Old Home Week column mentioning Western New Yorkers working in TV led to a few more people checking in. Gregory Puchalski of Lackawanna reports he was a scenic artist and staff painter on Spike TV’s “The Kill Point.” And he added that Cort Hessler of Buffalo is the stunt coordinator.

‘Comforts’ canceled . . . To those who asked: CBS canceled “Creature Comforts,” the comedy that briefly played this summer.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
    Four years of magic and still going strong.

• Banned User

I saw this show (well, some of it, I drifted off to other things part of the way) last night on ABC. Wasn't half bad, but I have to admit I'm surprised to read that it was on ABC Family first. What are they smoking over there? This is hardly the kind of show I'd put on anything labeled "Family."

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad show, but it has some content that's not exactly appropriate for little ones. For teens, no problem, though.

• Purple Crates ♥

I thought it was a funny-cute show. It is very sterotypical-cliche-ish but enjoyable none the less. I think to really appreciate it you have to have gone through the whole greek experience in college

•   
    • So fetch

I loved the show. It's a nice summer show that's a break from rerun hell. My freshman roommate was like Dale except for the meaningful advice bit. She was just plain out judgemental of anyone who wasn't Christian but that's another post. The practice Rush conversation had me laughing. I remember doing that. There were a couple parts I thought were cheesy but overall I thought it was a cute show.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
    Wasn't half bad, but I have to admit I'm surprised to read that it was on ABC Family first. What are they smoking over there? This is hardly the kind of show I'd put on anything labeled "Family."

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad show, but it has some content that's not exactly appropriate for little ones. For teens, no problem, though.
    I fully agree - I thought the same thing.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I only plan on watching the June 23 episode as Plain White T's is going to be on performing a couple songs (love them!).

• Banned User

I really enjoyed this show, and am looking forward to tonight's episode a lot! I thought last week's was a great start to the show and I am looking forward to seeing where they take things tonight.

I thought the best part was how well rounded and realistic the characters and their relationships were. I loved that. I loved Casey and how I could understand her relationship with her brother (for good and bad) and I thought that she and Cappie were really interesting together...I think they might be a cute couple down the road, you know?

FYI, if anyone wants to check out the first episode, I believe that it's still a free download from iTunes today!