• back to WDW in January

Happy 25th Birthday To Disney's 'Tron'

In 1982, Disney studios released Tron, one of the first films from a major studio to feature extensive computer graphics. The movie is about a programmer (Jeff Bridges) who gets "digitized" and finds himself inside a computer where he is forced to play the gladiatorial games he wrote. (Bridges' character eventually escapes and sets out to topple the despotic Master Control Program, or MCP.) Even though Tron was something of a milestone for computer-generated imagery, it met with little success at the box office and failed to garner a special effects nomination from the Motion Picture Academy. At the time, the Academy considered the use of computers in films as "cheating."
    Monday marked the 25th anniversary of of the release of Tron, whose computer graphics were seen as revolutionary at the time. With that anniversary in mind, Computerworld spoke with John Knoll, a visual effects supervisor at Industrial Light and Magic (ILM). Knoll, who served as visual effects supervisor for such films as Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith; Pirates of the Caribbean; Star Trek: First Contact, and Mission: Impossible, weighed in on the limitations of CG back then and how far it's come in the last quarter century. (Knoll may also be known in the IT world for his role in the creation of Photoshop, which he developed with his brother Thomas.)

See the complete article and interview here: http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...51;fp;4;fpid;4

• Shablagoo!

Re: Happy 25th Birthday To Disney's 'Tron'

I recently rewatched the movie on DVD and I loved it. I especially like that soundtrack. Very video game and very classic.

• UT99 Forever

Re: Happy 25th Birthday To Disney's 'Tron'

I don't think I ever saw the movie!

I did have a Tron video game back in the day on my Commodore 64 or Atari (I forget which one). I played it all the time.