'HSM's Zac Efron to star in 'Footloose' remake

Paramount dancing to 'Footloose'

Efron to star in Ortega remake

Ortega

Efron

By Michael Fleming
    Variety
    July 11, 2007

Paramount is plotting a musical remake of the 1984 film "Footloose" and will develop it for "High School Musical" star Zac Efron and director Kenny Ortega. Dylan Sellers will produce.

Ortega is in negotiations to helm and choreograph, and Efron is in talks to play Ren McCormack, the rebellious newcomer (originally played by Kevin Bacon) in a town where dancing has been banned.

Original was directed by Herb Ross and scripted by Dean Pitchford.
    Plan is to turn the project into a full-blown musical. "Footloose" was already turned into a Broadway tuner.

The 19-year-old Efron made his breakthrough with the Ortega-directed Disney Channel teletuner "High School Musical" and just completed an Ortega-directed sequel with the original cast; a third installment is in the planning stages.

Efron makes his feature debut in "Hairspray," which New Line releases Friday.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

• e komo mai

Re: 'HSM's Zac Efron to star in 'Footloose' remake

• The Twilight Zone

In my opinion I dislike this idea. I dont like it when they make remakes.

• Fairies and Mermaids!

Oh. My. God. Will this be a film version of the actual musical version that I just did at Solano Youth Theatre? The weird thing is my brother and I were talking about a dream casting the musical version for a film and we had Zac in there. Weird....

Remember, Dreams come true!... and mermaids are hot, even on Halloween.

not that i have a problem with zac efron, but i really do not see him in kevin bacons character. plus his character has to sing some pretty high notes that im sure he can't get to hence high school musical. Meaning someone else will have to sing it and he'll act like he'll sing it.

• The mouse that Rocks

Whats with all the remakes its like Hollywood ran out of ideas. I mean really do they have a dart board with a bunch of 70s and 80s movies and TV shows? Coming summer 2008 Perfect Strangers the movie.
    --MusicMouse
    Join The one Campaign. make poverty history.

Check out SILAS a band from Eugene Oregon
    Peep 'em here:

The official band page
    Help the musicians of New Orleans bring back the music at
    MusicRising.org

Amnesty International

• Happy Memories

Well that's the worst idea I've heard yet this week. It's only Wednesday though, and I'm sure Hollywood isn't lacking for bad ideas that could take this week's prize.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by lesmisfan View Post
    not that i have a problem with zac efron, but i really do not see him in kevin bacons character. plus his character has to sing some pretty high notes that im sure he can't get to hence high school musical. Meaning someone else will have to sing it and he'll act like he'll sing it.
    Sure appears like all new songs will be written for this film version, presumably within and for his and his co-star's range and abilities.
    Plan is to turn the project into a full-blown musical. "Footloose" was already turned into a Broadway tuner.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb View Post
    Well that's the worst idea I've heard yet this week. It's only Wednesday though, and I'm sure Hollywood isn't lacking for bad ideas that could take this week's prize.
    Well we're only talking about 'Footloose' not 'Citizen Kane', 'All Quiet On The Western Front' or 'All That Jazz'. This seems pretty harmless.
    Don't forget within the same 10-year era Paramount saw huge box office (and soundtrack) hits with 'Saturday Night Fever', 'Grease' and 'Flashdance' too. I'd guess there is probably more mining in their vaults along this "reimaging" and "reinventing" line, especially if this 'Footloose' works in our current film musical era. The studio's next on deck with Johnny Depp in Tim Burton's 'Sweeney Todd'.

• Directly directed

NO! And I know that it's not really messing with a classic it's just the point of all these remakes!

Good for Zac! I wish him much success! He'll do a great job I'm sure.

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

if they make the Broadway musical into a movie....I do nto think I will like that....especially since it was a flop....lol...

I did not like the way they blended the songs into the show...and the script..could have been better....if they make a version like the original movie...that would be nice...even if they use new songs or use the old and keep it in the 80's

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Quote Originally Posted by MusicMouse View Post
    Whats with all the remakes its like Hollywood ran out of ideas. I mean really do they have a dart board with a bunch of 70s and 80s movies and TV shows? Coming summer 2008 Perfect Strangers the movie.

I'm with you on this MusicMouse. Where are all the orginal scripts? But with that said, I'll probably go see it.

• I was deleted.

How can they turn it into a Broadway musical, or at least one with him if he can't sing? That's what I want to know.

First HSM, then Hairspray (which ALREADY is a great Broadway show,) and now Footloose. Besides HSM2, and probably HSM3, what other singing/dancing gigs can they cast a non-singer in?

• Fairies and Mermaids!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilsbro View Post
    if they make the Broadway musical into a movie....I do nto think I will like that....especially since it was a flop....lol...

I did not like the way they blended the songs into the show...and the script..could have been better....
    While I agree that the show was a critical flop, it was commercially pretty decent, as it ran for nearly two years (longer than I would've expected), is still currently running on London's West End with a new tour going around the UK, and since the performance rights became available, it is one of the widest produced shows for community theatres, high schools and other theatre companies. While the script also could've been better, I did like the original movies' songs being used in the score. I mean, what is "Footloose" without the title song? That, and those were really the only good songs in the show (no offense to those who like the show's songs if they've ever seen it.) with the exception of Willard's "Mama Says". So, for me, I hope they do use the Broadway version as a base but clean up that script!

Remember, Dreams come true!... and mermaids are hot, even on Halloween.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast