View Poll Results: Did you like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Wands: Best Harry Potter Yet!!!

44 34.11%
  • 4 Wands: Harry's put a spell on me.

56 43.41%
  • 3 Wands: Same movie different day.

16 12.40%
  • 2 Wands: How many more are there?

6 4.65%
  • 1 Wand: I prefer the EPCOT Wand

7 5.43%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

• Original Mice-Chatter

Re: Harry Potter Review and Official "did you like it?" Poll.

Spoiler
    Not sure why the spoiler- but ok......

Cho was NOT bad. She did NOT rat them out or get made into a "bad guy"- Umbridge used Veritas Serum on her-Snape says this in the scene in her office.

...and of course there was background- from GoF it was clear Harry liked her- and they comment on Cho not taking her eyes off of him. Seems a kiss was coming.....

...and don't assume "everybody hates" the first two movies. I love them- and I am part of everybody- I would bet there are more everybodies too.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

The bottom line is that if it doesn't move the plot, it doesn't make the movie. Unfortunate, but true.
    A signature should go here.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    The bottom line is that if it doesn't move the plot, it doesn't make the movie. Unfortunate, but true.
    Thank goodness we have the books huh?

• Former Epcot CM

I had heard from friends that it was very different to the book - which was expected. There was no way to squeeze that hunker chunker of a book into 2 and half hours of film, well. So I appreciate what the filmmakers did; I believe they did the best they could to get the movies message across in the time they could.

So I went in with an open mind, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If I had gone in not knowing about all the changes made I probably would have hated it.

Loved;
    * Umbridge. Whoa.
    * The centaurs!
    * DUMBLEDORE VS VOLDEMORT. OH MY JESUS.
    * Bellatrix. Get in!
    * Ron. Much better acting skills.
    * The whole visual feel of the movie. So much more gritty, realistic, beautiful, ooof. This is how all the HP movies should have been shot.

DISLIKED
    * The Dursleys. All three of them - their characters changed so much from the previous movies. And why oh why did we not get to know more about Petunia's connection to Dumbledore? That bit in the book gave me shivers - was looking forward to it in the movie.
    * Arabella Figg. Sorry, just completely different from how I imagined her.
    * Cho. Wasn't given enough time
    * Bellatrix. She should have been the main DE instead of Lucius, like many have said, even though seeing Lucius really come into his own from the ponce he was in Chamber was brill.

This is how all HP movies should be made.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I just got back and will give it four out of five "wands." I agree with most of you, and especially with Speedway ^^^

(Sorry if I should be spoilerfying this, but this IS the review thread, isn't it?)

Positive:

1) Luna is brilliant. She was my favorite character of the film.
    2) The Weasely fireworks were great. Glad they took the time for that.
    3) Bellatrix is wonderfully psychotic.
    4) Loved how the Death Eaters swirled in and out of a black cloud and how members of the order swirled in white. Cool idea.
    5) I was starting to tear up when Harry was fighting the internal Voldemort. Two thumbs up for the composer of the film score...I need to check again to find out who that was...
    6) I think the cast has come light years since the first three films. Bravo.

Needed Fixing:

1) Making Cho the villain, albeit by veritaserum, was selling out her character. The Eloise chick needed to do the deed and have her face blow up accordingly. I know it saved time on having Cho break up, blah, blah, blah, but I really feel that it changed Cho's character somehow. We're only talking about another couple of minutes to set up the thing with the other girl.

2) Michael Gambon will never be Dumbledore to me. His character in the movie always, to me anyway, comes across as a grumpy, befuddled old man. Dumbledore may be old, but he should have a kind face and eyes of fire when he's ticked. The whole "You don't want to mess with Dumbedore when he's angry/electricity in the air" thing wasn't happening for me during the fight scene. The girl who did Cho didn't match what I had in mind either. Most of the rest of the cast is spot on. Maggie Smith IS McGonigal. Ditto with the others. I've even gotten used to the twins as Fred and George even though I didn't like them at all in the first film.

3) As others have said, it was REALLY hard to fit that massive tome into basically a 2 hour movie. If you hadn't read the book, I could easily see the audience just staring at the screen. I agree with the "two movie" people and the idea of bringing the second half back at Christmas seems like a good one to me. It worked for Lord of the Rings. It would have worked for this as well. It's so HARD to watch the film thinking "But that's completely WRONG" again and again and again...

4) Umbridge was good, but not quite Froggy enough for me. The word "Toadlike" doesn't quite go with Doris Day in a Pink sweater. Other than the toad thing, she had the character down.

5) Where was the mirror? If this is an important item when I'm reading on Saturday, they could have a tough time sticking that in for film #7.

Even though I was frustrated at times, it was amazing what they DID fit into that film given the time constraints. I'm taking my kids next week, and I'm looking forward to buying the DVD for the holidays.

• Clearing my Calendar

I just finished re-reading HBP.

I was extremely impressed with OotP in regards to how the kids have really grown as actors. For the first time, I was able to read HBP with their current acting abilities in mind. I can't wait to see Draco's moment on the tower, Harry reassuring Dumbledore that it's okay to drink from the goblet, and Ron holding Hermione as she cries at the funeral. Especially now that the director, whose direction I absolutely adored in OotP, is cotinuing on... we're in for some real thrills!

I'm excited for the book and all, but is it too early to be excited for the next movie?
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    2) Michael Gambon will never be Dumbledore to me. His character in the movie always, to me anyway, comes across as a grumpy, befuddled old man. Dumbledore may be old, but he should have a kind face and eyes of fire when he's ticked. The whole "You don't want to mess with Dumbedore when he's angry/electricity in the air" thing wasn't happening for me during the fight scene. The girl who did Cho didn't match what I had in mind either. Most of the rest of the cast is spot on. Maggie Smith IS McGonigal. Ditto with the others. I've even gotten used to the twins as Fred and George even though I didn't like them at all in the first film.
    Completely agree. Richard Harris to me was Dumbledore. He was never mean, never angry and never a jerk. He brought a very mysterious kindness to the role and gave an all-knowing all-seeing sense. He also gave the impression that when he said something, everybody stopped what they were doing and listened. Gambon on the otherhand does seam like just a grumpy old man with some magic powers. He reminds me of an evil, grumpy version of Mr. Feeney (from Boy Meets World). And even from the DVD interviews it doesn't seem like he really wants the role. Whether or not it was true, Harris always gave the appearance that he loved what he was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub View Post
    I was extremely impressed with OotP in regards to how the kids have really grown as actors.
    Have they, or perhaps is it partially due to the fact that they had much less screen time this movie? I mean Hermione and Ron went from lead characters to mere supporting characters (bordering on the "guest star" level).

I can't wait to see Draco's moment on the tower, Harry reassuring Dumbledore that it's okay to drink from the goblet, and Ron holding Hermione as she cries at the funeral.
    That's making the basic assumption David Yates won't cut those scenes out.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    Have they, or perhaps is it partially due to the fact that they had much less screen time this movie? I mean Hermione and Ron went from lead characters to mere supporting characters (bordering on the "guest star" level).
    I was including Daniel in that as well. And yes, I think Rupert was considerably better this time around. Whether it's his ability or the direction, I don't know. But at least it wasn't all broody "Bloody hell" all the time.

That's making the basic assumption David Yates won't cut those scenes out.
    Yah, it is. Which is why I pretty much pointed out pivotal scenes with important plot points that can't be escaped. Whether it will be exactly as it is in the book doesn't matter. The idea will most likely be included and *that* is what I'm looking forward to. That portrayal.
    and the stars come out,

• Original Mice-Chatter

Spoiler
    From what I am reading about what we learn about Dumbledore in DH- Gambon may turn out to be more like Dumbledore than we think

I like him now though.....and it's worthless to complain about it too much. Harris died- it's not like he quit.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    I like him now though.....and it's worthless to complain about it too much. Harris died- it's not like he quit.
    It's not worthless to complain. Harris dieing has nothing to do with Gambon getting the role. I think they could have given it to someone much better.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    It's not worthless to complain. Harris dieing has nothing to do with Gambon getting the role. I think they could have given it to someone much better.

spiffy- when you get into a position where you can do the casting then you can change it.

I put faith in the people who make the movies- including JK Rowling's input.

So it IS worthless to complain- what do you think they are going to do, replace him by popular demand?

• Clearing my Calendar

and the stars come out,

• Disney Memory Maker

spiffy- when you get into a position where you can do the casting then you can change it.

I put faith in the people who make the movies- including JK Rowling's input.

So it IS worthless to complain- what do you think they are going to do, replace him by popular demand?
    Answer me this.... if there is no point of complaining about these type of things.... why are there sites such as Micechat & Miceage (as well as others). Its a different subject.... but people complain to get things changed. To use an example, I may not agree with what WDW1974's complaining about, but I can see why he would complain.

Secondly, this is called a "Review" thread. And yes, Michael Gambon gets a big thumbs down from me, as does David Yates. Yes, I too trust the producers/casting/Rowling to make good choices in casting, and for the most part, they have been spot on (McGonigal, original Dumbledore, Hagrid, Snape, Trelawny, the "fab 3", the Weasleys, Filch, etc). In fact, almost every actor they have casted has made their roles exactly how I thought of them in the book. There are a few exceptions to me though, including new Dumbledore, Cho, Ginny (though this I attribute more to how they used her), Draco after the CoS, and maybe a few others. And as for the Dursleys, I didn't like at all how they were treated in this movie (possibly except Petunia). Uncle Vernon has turned into a "pig" who could really care less about anything else & Dudley has lost his "spoiled brat bully"-ness to him. They seemed to be in this movie for the sole reason of having an excuse to get Harry on trial.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Answer me this...what point is there in complaining?

YOU don't like him. Fine.

Others do.

What point is there in complaining?

I'm exercising my freedom to disagree, just like you.

NOTHING will change because YOU do not like Gambon. I guarantee the casting director doesn't give a rip.

• Disney Memory Maker

Answer me this...what point is there in complaining?

YOU don't like him. Fine.

Others do.

What point is there in complaining?

I'm exercising my freedom to disagree, just like you.

NOTHING will change because YOU do not like Gambon. I guarantee the casting director doesn't give a rip.
    Again, this is a REVIEW thread. The whole point of this thread is to say what one liked and didn't like about the movies, specifically order of the Phoenix. I am saying I don't like him as Dumbledore, as that is one of my criticisms of the movie.

I guarantee the casting director doesn't give a rip.
    What you seem to be saying is that the people making the movie don't care what the fans think. And you know what, that is a complete lie. The movies are made for the viewers and the viewers only. Am I expecting them to get rid of Gambon? No. Will I suddenly pretend to like him because he isn't going anywhere.... heck no.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast