View Poll Results: Did you like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Wands: Best Harry Potter Yet!!!

44 34.11%
  • 4 Wands: Harry's put a spell on me.

56 43.41%
  • 3 Wands: Same movie different day.

16 12.40%
  • 2 Wands: How many more are there?

6 4.65%
  • 1 Wand: I prefer the EPCOT Wand

7 5.43%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

• Former Epcot CM

Re: Harry Potter Review and Official "did you like it?" Poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    I put faith in the people who make the movies- including JK Rowling's input.
    Yeah, well said.
    We should be lucky that the author of the books which are being adapted has so much positive input into the films. She reads every revision of the screenplay, is approached by the filmmakers on all aspects of the film from the costumes and locations down to what they actually say, and advises the actors on the futures of their characters (not really needed now the last book is out - and that reminds me, I've gotta go back to reading it now!).

It's not like the films have been ruined by some twit who completely ignored the author.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Former Epcot CM

Oh, and to the whole Dumbledore debate;

Who could you see swimming through rocks and caves on their way to finding one of Voldemort's horcruxes in the sixth book? Gambon, or Harris? Yes Harris was a wonderful Dumbledore but somehow... somehow I just couldn't see him doing that.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    We should be lucky that the author of the books which are being adapted has so much positive input into the films.
    That would be equivilent to saying... "We should be lucky we have Disney World, so stop complaining about [insert complaint here]." Yes, we are definitely lucky that Rowling has had her input taken, the point of this thread is to review the movie.... not to blindly praise the movie.

and that reminds me, I've gotta go back to reading it now!).
    Me too.

Who could you see swimming through rocks and caves on their way to finding one of Voldemort's horcruxes in the sixth book? Gambon, or Harris? Yes Harris was a wonderful Dumbledore but somehow... somehow I just couldn't see him doing that.
    Harris definitely. I can actually see him leading Harry through the Horcruxes (while I cannot imagine Gambon even talking to Harry in a friendly way). I can imagine Harris guiding Harry through the pensieve and me actually getting upset the way I did with the book when the book ends the way it does. That of course, though, is just my opinion.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by TheDisneyInquisitor View Post
    Harris definitely. I can actually see him leading Harry through the Horcruxes (while I cannot imagine Gambon even talking to Harry in a friendly way). I can imagine Harris guiding Harry through the pensieve and me actually getting upset the way I did with the book when the book ends the way it does. That of course, though, is just my opinion.
    Okay.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Disney Memory Maker

Okay, so I saw the movie again today (promised my sister I'd take her) and unfortunately, it just didn't have that second-times-the-charm feel to it. Just to sum up my dislikes of the movie....
    1. Ron & Hermione - They were in the movie for about 30 minutes..... horrible. Went from being major characters to hardly supporting ones.
    2. Writing - Can anyone say predictable? And in the book, I knew Harry was angry and alone without him having to actually say "I am angry" and "I feel so alone" (word-for-word quotes from the movie). And then there was the part with Lucius... "give me the prophesy or watch your friends die." Now I don't care how much danger your in.... do you really think they are going to let you all go get ice cream if you hand over the prophesy?
    3. Sirius's death - Can anyone say anticlamatic? Here you have this giant fight surrounding you, they just disarmed Lucius and a simple "Avera Kadavra" and bam, that's it. Felt so anticlimactic to me.
    4. The fight in general - while yes, the special effects were nice and the smoke representing each side was a nice touch, could they have been any more unoriginal? Black and white? Fire and water? I mean come on.... come up with something new.
    5. Dumbledore - Again, Gambon just seems like a grumpy old man in this movie. Being the one wizard Voldemort fears... he seamed so weak and so not Dumbledore-like to me.
    6. Snape - Not Snape himself, Alan Rickman did a bloody fantastic job as usual.... but he got so few scenes. Likewise with fellow teachers McGonagall, Trelawny & Hagrid.
    7. Draco - I honestly don't think people would have noticed if they took Draco & his henchmen out completely. He got what likely amounts to 10 minutes of screen-time. And given the large role both he and Snape play in HBP, the Yates is going to do a lot of changing there.
    8. Neville/Prophesy - Okay, so throughout the whole movie, Yates made a point of making Neville such a major character. I mean for goodness sake he got more airtime than Hermione did. He was probably the biggest member of the DA and they made such a big deal out of him, his parents & Bellatrix. Then of course, he was the one who found the prophesy. And then after all that.... they ignored him with the prophecy. So what was the point of emphasizing him so much?
    9. The entire intro - To me that entire merry-go-round/corn-field intro was just downright dumb to me. It seamed more of an attempt for the director to stand out more than anything else. And is it just me, or did Dudley not movie his lips when he talked? And as I commented on before, the other Dursleys seamed terribly out-of-character.
    10. Umbridge's Downfall - Seamed all too sudden for me. The director focused basically the entire movie on her and Dumbledore (which was ironic given the lack of Dumbledore's presence). He had this whole build up of her character, and then in a matter of minutes, her rule ended. It just seamed to sudden for me.
    11. Cheap attempts at laughter - Filtch and his ladder, "You can't deny, he has style", etc.
    12. Music - They seamed to almost ignore the famous HP score throughout the movie. I'm not expecting the same exact music, but I am expecting music inspired from that original score (something I think AWE did beautifully).
    One of the bright points I failed to mention before was the fact that unlike the previous 2 films, they were in Wizardry clothes the whole time and not in jeans and something you might buy at the GAP. Overall though, the movie failed to capture my imagination like the other have done so well. For example, reading the book I viewed the Room of Requirement as this grand room filled with everything you could need.... but the movie made it out as almost an abandoned warehouse. I understand that you cannot expect a 800+ page book to easily condense into a 2+ hour movie, but I do expect a few things.....
    1. Include a fair amount of the plots - To me, Yates focused nearly entirely on the Umbridge plot and not enough on anything else.
    2. Of the plots you do select, bring them out to their fullest - so many shortened scenes, neglected characters and ignored plotlines
    3. Don't change what needn't be changed - There is a reason why the books are so popular, if it ain't broke... don't fix it. To name a few unneeded changes..... over-simplifying the Prophecy, having Neville stumble on the room of requirement quite randomly, etc.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Delawarean Girl

Spoiler
    I saw it just last Friday. I liked it and gave it a 5/5. Umbridge cracked me up. I kept thinking she looks like Laura Bush (in appearance). So , interesting seeing someone behave so sweet and yet really evil. When they said she is a "pink spider", I felt that fitted her right.

I kind of wonder why Harry didn't go with Luna Lovegood? Luna just seem more interesting then that other lady he kissed. I keep thinking it might not matter too. But no, I don't want to know any further stuff until it becomes a movie, please.

• Still lost in Neverland

I finally got the chance to get up to the IMAX theater at City Walk and saw it today. I loved it. By Far in more ways than one, this is best one yet. The story is a given, look who wrote it. The "Kids" are getting better and better with each new movie. The new characters where cast perfectly. The special effects work is now some of the best out there. The music was even great. I just loved this movie and the IMAX version in amazing. Sharp, Clear and wonderful. The 20 minutes of 3-D may be thought of as a gimmick by some, but to me it just made that part of the picture seem more magical in nature, and this really is the first time we have seen a real duel of the wands between two master wizards. I just thought is was really worth the extra few bucks to see it this way. I want to see it again, but unlike last time, now I have no interest in seeing at a regular theater. i want the IMAX 3-D version again. Can you tell I like it?
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• My cuties!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayley B View Post
    Spoiler
    I saw it just last Friday. I liked it and gave it a 5/5. Umbridge cracked me up. I kept thinking she looks like Laura Bush (in appearance). So , interesting seeing someone behave so sweet and yet really evil. When they said she is a "pink spider", I felt that fitted her right.

I kind of wonder why Harry didn't go with Luna Lovegood? Luna just seem more interesting then that other lady he kissed. I keep thinking it might not matter too. But no, I don't want to know any further stuff until it becomes a movie, please.
    Why don't you just read the books??

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Oh, and to the whole Dumbledore debate;

Gambon swimming through a cave? I'm just assuming this will be where the book and the movie diverge...again. To save time, I'm sure they'll just apparate or fly on brooms or something. I have a feeling that there will be a LOT of re-writing for the last two films.

So....yeah. The characters that haven't worked for me so far are Gambon as Dumbledore, Brendon Gleeson as Mad-eye, Katie Leung as Cho, and the lady that did Arabella Figg. Mad eye should have been FAR more grizzled and I had him down for a Marty Feldman type of face...but ancient with scars. While I think Katie is very cute, there's something about her heavy scotch accent that doesn't work for me, and the face I had in my mind was quite different. But the rest of the cast...Maggie Smith, Oldman, Thewlis, Jason Isaacs (IS there a more evil actor?), Fiennes, Staunton, the main three, and now Evanna Lynch as Luna....I can't believe how well these characters fit into what I had in my minds eye. Brilliant...all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DI
    [*]Music - They seamed to almost ignore the famous HP score throughout the movie. I'm not expecting the same exact music, but I am expecting music inspired from that original score (something I think AWE did beautifully).

The music headed off in an entirely new direction when they lost John Williams after Azkaban. Patrick Doyle did ok with Goblet of Fire, but you'll notice that the John Williams theme is introduced only sporadically and then it disappears. I have a feeliing that even if they wanted to, much of the thematic materical of the first three might be protected by ASCAP and other copyrights, and it wouldn't be fair to the new guy writing the score to not really use him for the majority of the film. They can't hand him the film and tell him to "sound" like John Williams or to require him to only use his thematic material. I felt Nicholas Hooper did a fine job with this film and he's on deck to do HBP. I really enjoyed the score when Harry was seeing all of the people that he loved before fighting off Voldemort. Well done.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I am curious as to why John Williams did not do the music for all the movies. Maybe this is answered elsewhere, but I am not up to reading everything up to this point. Sorry. Anyway, was it his choice to not do it or did they not want him anymore? I love his theme for these movies and I wish he could have done them all.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Wendygirl View Post
    I am curious as to why John Williams did not do the music for all the movies.
    According to imdb, he passed on GoF to do Memoirs of a Geisha instead. I'm guessing other work also kept both Williams & Doyle too busy to do OotP leaving relative unknown Hooper to helm the music.

• Banned User

Well, we made it to the theater tonight and finally saw it, so here is my official review of:

Harry Potter And The Completely Blown Opportunity Of What Could Have Been An Amazing Movie But Ended Up As A Poorly Adapted Butchering Of A Great Story That Now Has Little Resemblance To The Source Material.

(Did that give away too much?)

Yeah, it was crap. Crap crappity crappy crap crap. But before I dive into why, I’ll go ahead and list what I liked about it.

- Fantastic sets, costumes and cinematography. As with each film so far they did an amazing job of immersing the audience into this wondrous world. Every time I see Hogwarts on the screen I feel like I could stand up and walk around the halls. Very exciting.

- With the exception of Gambon’s performance, every character was once again brought to life as if they had leapt from my own imagining of them. Umbridge was absolutely perfect; evil, conniving and totally Mother-in-Law like. Grawp was done even better than I had imagined, and the thestrals were eerily beautiful. More than anyone, though, I loved Sirius. Oldman is such a master, and he portrayed Sirius so perfectly that my heart broke watching his scenes with Harry, knowing what was to come. Really well done.

- … … Ummm, that’s about it.

Now, on to why it sucked the big one.

- An amazing story, chopped down so much that it barely deserves to be called “Order of the Phoenix.” (Actually, not even barely. It has almost nothing to do at all with Order of the Phoenix. They should have just given it a new title.) Seriously, I felt like I was watching it in fast forward. I blinked and suddenly, “Oh, here we are at the Department of Mysteries!” S.T.U.P.I.D. Now, I know the argument. “Oh, it had to be cut down to a manageable length! We don’t want a three hour movie! There’s just sooooooo much to cover!” Well, wah. To the whiners who complained about the previous films running long, I say: Stuff it. These films aren’t for you. These are stories that are loved by those of us who have read and enjoyed them. If you don’t like long movies and don’t want the real story, go watch TV. Leave us our Potter. Besides, every other movie is three hours long anymore. With so much important material to cover, this should have been too.

- Following in that vein, there were simply some scenes which the loss of is simply tragic. The hospital scene with Neville’s parents is one of them. That scene did so much to further the story, not only for Neville, but for the whole plotline. It brought home what the situation was, what the stakes were, and what the losses would be, and made them all realities for the characters. Having Neville mention it as a “by the way” in the Room of Requirement was lame.

- Dumbledore. Michael Gambon should be soaked in bacon grease, rolled in jerky, and thrown into a pit full of rabid, starving Chihuahuas. He is so painfully awful as Dumbledore that he made me want to stab my own eyes out. Dumbledore is strong, wise and understated. Gambon is just a cranky, stinky old fool. I cannot understand how Rowling can stomach seeing her character be so horribly defiled. He is truly so pathetic that I find myself eagerly awaiting the climax of Half Blood Prince. What a stinker.

- It goes along with the loss of story, but I have to mention the complete lack of character development, or even characters at all for that matter. Everything was so overly rushed that these great characters whom we’ve all grown to love just popped in and out like it was some sort of shooting gallery. It felt like, “Look, Mad Eye! Missed him. Oh, there goes Lupin… Nope. Hey, the twins! That was cool. Hey, Mr. Weasley! Hope we see him again.” What a waste.

- And last, because I have to stop somewhere, I have to mention the Voldemort-Dumbledore Rumble in the Tunnel. Now, I have been looking forward to and anticipating this very scene since I first read it however many years ago now. It was so exciting and chilling that I knew that, since the movies (until now) were being done so well, it would look amazing on film. But of course, it actually sucked. Oohhh, some fire and water and a bunch of broken glass. Oohhhh, that was brilliant film making right there. Oh, and a slow-mo sand storm. Wow... I am stunned by your cinematic wizardry… Come on! Where are the living statues? What the F? I wanted the centaur running around, the wizard shielding Harry. That was cool stuff! But this? Crapola.

In the end, this film leaves me dreading the next two. Hopefully they’ll hire a Director for them instead of dropping by the local meat counter and signing up whatever hack butcher is on that day. It’s been a good run so far, but alas, just as with the Pirates franchise, it had to die sometime I guess. I had really hoped, and believed even, that the films would continue to be as well done as the first few, but I guess that was wishful thinking. At least I have Deathly Hallows to soothe the pain though. Hollywood hacks can’t touch that. Yet.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Sorry Mate- David Yates is directing HBP as well.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post

- Dumbledore. Michael Gambon should be soaked in bacon grease, rolled in jerky, and thrown into a pit full of rabid, starving Chihuahuas. He is so painfully awful as Dumbledore that he made me want to stab my own eyes out. Dumbledore is strong, wise and understated. Gambon is just a cranky, stinky old fool. I cannot understand how Rowling can stomach seeing her character be so horribly defiled. He is truly so pathetic that I find myself eagerly awaiting the climax of Half Blood Prince. What a stinker.
    Ouch. I don't know if I would throw him to the chihuahuas, but glad to see others around here who don't get the Gambon casting thing. If you compare him to Maggie Smith, or Emma Thompson, or Imelda Staunton now as Umbridge, several of these characters are SO much like what I had in mind. But I hated Gambon in Azkaban, LOATHED him in Goblet, and ignored him just now in Phoenix. I mean....WHO was responsible for this? Fiona Weir? David Heyman? I just don't get it. It's clear that they went for a big name, but not for someone who could BECOME Dumbledore. Richard Harris, to me, was ok, but even he was only an 8 out of 10 in my book. I really think they should have taken some SERIOUS time for auditions before just handing the role to Gambon AND Harris. Harris was lightyears ahead of Gambon, but I can't help thinking that somewhere out there was a Maggie Smith type of actor...one who you took one look at or heard him read two lines and you KNEW that that was him.

At the same time, they've done a REMARKABLE job with almost everyone else. As I read through Hallows just now, it's mostly the faces from the films now that I see as I read the book.

• Practically Perfect

I have to say this was my favorite one so far. Keeping in mind that it was my least favorite book (at least the first time reading it, it's not so bad now), I was suprised how much I liked it. I just have this to say to those nay-sayers out there who think too much was left out:

This is a different media and the films will never EVER be like the books. The books belong locked in our imaginations, and because of this no to people will ever like the same interpretation. I for one do not WANT to see the inner workings of my mind up on the silver screen (that's why I HATED the first 2 films SO much...they were disgustingly similar to the books).

All I'm saying is it's a different format and they did amazing AMAZING things. If you haven't read the books you are missing out on the story, however for those of us who have I really don't see any problem with cutting, tweaking, and so forth.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast