View Poll Results: Did you like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Wands: Best Harry Potter Yet!!!

    44 34.11%
  • 4 Wands: Harry's put a spell on me.

    56 43.41%
  • 3 Wands: Same movie different day.

    16 12.40%
  • 2 Wands: How many more are there?

    6 4.65%
  • 1 Wand: I prefer the EPCOT Wand

    7 5.43%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112
Results 166 to 175 of 175
  1. #166

    • Disney Memory Maker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kissimmee, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,671

    Re: Harry Potter Review and Official "did you like it?" Poll.

    I agree with everything you said Jazzman (yeah, I know.... weird, right?).

    Quote Originally Posted by quasimodo1384 View Post
    This is a different media and the films will never EVER be like the books.
    HP1-3 were nearly exactly like their respective books. And even though HP4 left some things out, I'd most definitely classify it as "like the book." Not to mention other book-to-movie series like LotR, Narnia, and others have captured their respective books very well. And take LotR, they took a 1200 page book and turned it into (essentially) a 9.3 hour movie. I mean LotR basically covered 2 pages every minute (Narnia a little under 2pgs/min) while HP5 did 6 pages per minute. I mean, is there really a reason why the longest book in the series got the shortest movie in the series? A good idea, like someone said earlier would have been to split it into two 1.5 hour movies, release one in July & one in November. Just my thoughts though.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

  2. #167

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    A state of happy whimsy.
    Posts
    1,399

    Re: Harry Potter Review and Official "did you like it?" Poll.

    Quote Originally Posted by quasimodo1384 View Post
    This is a different media and the films will never EVER be like the books. The books belong locked in our imaginations, and because of this no to people will ever like the same interpretation. I for one do not WANT to see the inner workings of my mind up on the silver screen (that's why I HATED the first 2 films SO much...they were disgustingly similar to the books).

    All I'm saying is it's a different format and they did amazing AMAZING things. If you haven't read the books you are missing out on the story, however for those of us who have I really don't see any problem with cutting, tweaking, and so forth.
    BS. It's completely disingenuous to make a film from a book and not respect the book's storyline. If there were no book, there'd be no film. I'll put it this way; when they made a film about Ray Charles, who did they cast? A wrinkly old white woman? No, they cast a black man, because their source was a black man. But, as you say, it's a different format! They should have been able to hire a short Chinese kid had they wanted to, right? Simply, the answer is no, just as throwing out the story you are working from is wrong. The Rings trilogy has become one of the most successful, renowned and acclaimed series of films of all time, and why? Because Peter Jackson stressed being as faithful to the source material as possible. He knew that the story in that book is what made it worth filming, and to toss 90% of it into the trash would be disrespectful, unwise and wasteful. Same here. The Potter franchise is successful because of the story, and the characters within that story, which Rowling created for us. If her stories aren't going to be the ones filmed, then they shouldn't be filmed at all. Knowing that the same hack who shot this is going to further butcher the next book completely disappoints me. I had great hopes for these films that are quickly disappearing.


    However, that being said, I know that I am very much part of a very small minority. The film has thus far garnered overwhelmingly good reviews and has found a very happy audience, so I take that as it is. I somewhat feel sorry for those who are happy having what is pretty much an extended trailer for what the film could have been, as opposed to an intriguing story unfolding before their eyes, but if that is what the public wants then good for them. I still have the books and the first four films to enjoy. This and the next two I will have in the DVD shelf just as I have Star Wars I - III, simply to complete the series. C'est la vie.

  3. #168

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    12.5 minutes from Disneyland
    Posts
    14,007
    Blog Entries
    9

    Re: Harry Potter Review and Official "did you like it?" Poll.

    Quote Originally Posted by quasimodo1384 View Post
    I have to say this was my favorite one so far. Keeping in mind that it was my least favorite book (at least the first time reading it, it's not so bad now), I was suprised how much I liked it. I just have this to say to those nay-sayers out there who think too much was left out:

    This is a different media and the films will never EVER be like the books. The books belong locked in our imaginations, and because of this no to people will ever like the same interpretation. I for one do not WANT to see the inner workings of my mind up on the silver screen (that's why I HATED the first 2 films SO much...they were disgustingly similar to the books).

    All I'm saying is it's a different format and they did amazing AMAZING things. If you haven't read the books you are missing out on the story, however for those of us who have I really don't see any problem with cutting, tweaking, and so forth.
    I probably would have agreed with you if this was several years ago...before Peter Jackson. Jackson proved that it IS possible to capture the spirit and intent and grandeur of a 1000 + page work of fiction...if you take the time and energy and MONEY to make it happen. The Lord of the Rings was the first film to ever go BEYOND my expectations in bringing a work like this to life. The technology was there to make Phoenix an amazing film...or set of films. The will to do it and the MONEY to do it were not. This was the whole mentality with Phoenix. Too complicated? Cut it and move on.

  4. #169

    • Look.....at......me!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Potions class
    Posts
    135

    Re: Harry Potter Review and Official "did you like it?" Poll.

    Jazzman, you are so right about this film. I don't understand how people who know the books could have liked it. The movie did not capture the heart of the book...it moved the plot along, but it didn't tell the full story.

    A huge mistake is not explaining the prophecy fully. My mom (who has not read the books) did not understand why the death eaters even wanted to get it. They never explained that Snape had only heard part of the prophecy...seems like a huge part that should have been in there.

    Definitely the worst of the series. Hate the Yates will be back for six....but I am keeping my hopes high that maybe it was terrible because it was the only one with a different screen writer. The original screen writer is back for six, so maybe the magic will return.

  5. #170

    •   
    • .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,067

    Re: Harry Potter Review and Official "did you like it?" Poll.

    I finally saw the movie on Friday.
    I liked it but still hate the fact that they have to cut so much stuff out of the movies!
    I've learned to separate the movies from the books totally. I try not to compare because I get so mad. I enjoy the movies for the movies and the books for the books. I did notice that there was too much cut out of this movie to be able to make a good 7th movie. Too much little important stuff that plays a bigger part in 7. It looks like we're already screwed for movie 7.........

  6. #171

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Busy at the donut store
    Posts
    6,876
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: Harry Potter Review and Official "did you like it?" Poll.

    As of right now, we just have to keep the faith that there is a master plan for how the movies will unfold and eventually encompass the other parts of the books that are important. There were a few liberties taken with LOTR, too, so I'm okay with a little re-arranging as long as the info gets back into the story.

    Without knowing about the prophecy though, the sacking of Trelawny isn't as significant and why Dumbledore requires her to stay at Hogwarts. And of course, they don't mention Neville's connection at all. We'll just have to hope that Harry can find out more at the beginning of the next movie, while Dumbledore is still around to fill him in.
    A signature should go here.

  7. #172

    •   
    • .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,067

    Re: Harry Potter Review and Official "did you like it?" Poll.

    I know JK has a saying in everything that's Harry Potter but I'm starting to wonder just how much she has to do with the movies lately?

  8. #173

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,749

    Re: Harry Potter Review and Official "did you like it?" Poll.

    Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri View Post
    I know JK has a saying in everything that's Harry Potter but I'm starting to wonder just how much she has to do with the movies lately?
    JK Rowling was on Dateline last night discussing the Final chapter and she discussed that she is very pleased on the movies are being made. I wouldn't be so critical of a movie if I became a billionaire, would you?

  9. #174

    •   
    • .
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,067

    Re: Harry Potter Review and Official "did you like it?" Poll.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    JK Rowling was on Dateline last night discussing the Final chapter and she discussed that she is very pleased on the movies are being made. I wouldn't be so critical of a movie if I became a billionaire, would you?
    Good point.
    But still, there's a lot being skipped. Maybe I'm just too big of a fan.

  10. #175

    •   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Busy at the donut store
    Posts
    6,876
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: Harry Potter Review and Official "did you like it?" Poll.

    Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri View Post
    Maybe I'm just too big of a fan.
    Unpossible!
    A signature should go here.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Similar Threads

  1. Official "POTC: At World's End" Review Thread and Poll
    By WRDup in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 613
    Last Post: 07-08-2007, 11:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •