View Poll Results: Did you like Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Wands: Best Harry Potter Yet!!!

44 34.11%
  • 4 Wands: Harry's put a spell on me.

56 43.41%
  • 3 Wands: Same movie different day.

16 12.40%
  • 2 Wands: How many more are there?

6 4.65%
  • 1 Wand: I prefer the EPCOT Wand

7 5.43%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Harry Potter Review and Official "did you like it?" Poll.

What they need to do, is when making the movies, make them BASED on the books, not skipping a beat. But don't show them in the theaters because of time restraints, but leave them for the special edition DVDs.

• Circle of Ancients

Just got back. We loved it!!!! Best Potter Yet. Best movie of the summer not named Ratatouille (but it's just as good).

We are going to have to see it again since Belle didn't get to go with us. Aww shucks.

• Minion

I liked it, gave it 4/5. Haven't read book 5 in at least a year so this is the first time I went to see a Potter movie without re-reading the book right before it. Much more enjoyable experience watching the movie without constantly comparing it to the book.

Loved Luna in the movie!

• Space Mountain Expert

Bellatrix..... ahhhhhhhhhhh. I think I'm in love!
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by mousercise View Post
    Loved Luna in the movie!
    I agree, Looney, I mean Luna was great. Makes me wish she had been in previous movies/books.

• Minion

I give it a 3. Just didn't seem as "enchanting" as the previous were. It was still a good film, but definitely the least favorite of the series. I haven't read the books, so I see this movie as just setting up the resolution for everything.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

MY OPINON: The best Potter movie yet. The movies have progressionally gotten better. This one was probably the most emotion 'tugging' so far.

This may sound weird or funny, but did anyone else HATE Umbridge more than Voldemort this movie?

5/5 wands from me!

• Hangin Around

Quote Originally Posted by royaldisneyfan View Post
    MY OPINON: The best Potter movie yet. The movies have progressionally gotten better. This one was probably the most emotion 'tugging' so far.

This may sound weird or funny, but did anyone else HATE Umbridge more than Voldemort this movie?

5/5 wands from me!
    I loved the movie and agree I disliked Umbridge more than Voldemort.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

We went and saw this tonight. I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite of the series. To me, it's the first Potter movie that couldn't stand alone without the others. I know some have said that not reading the books didn't affect their enjoyment of the film, but has anyone not read the books or seen any of the first four movies? I know that it's part of a much larger storyline, so I can appreciate how it sets up the final act of the series (Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows). Though, to me, nothing really happened or changed the plot of the series in the film. The book obviously has twists and turns, but other than
    Spoiler
    Sirius dying
    , one could watch Goblet of Fire and wait for Half Blood Prince to come out in a few years. It needed more of the twists of the book to make it a great movie. Though, all that aside, I still thought it was one of the best movies I've seen this year.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Circle of Ancients

^ I think once you see/read HPB you will see how much OoTP is needed. Remember, at the beginning of the book, nobody believes Harry/Dumbledore that Voldemort has returned, by the end, everybody is convinced. This is quite important in HBP.

But I do see your point about needing to have some back-story and see the previous films or read the books before seeing OoTP. If you had no prior knowledge of HP (and who are these yahoo's) and just went and saw the movie, I'd still say it stands up pretty well.

I look at the books/movies as one book/movie. Especially the books, as they pretty much pick up as soon as Harry get's home for the most part.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Hubster and I enjoyed the movie and had no real beefs with it, though Hubster thought Sirius' "death" scene was a bit anti-climactic.

And Ralph Fiennes sure does play a creepy Voldemort!
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ I think once you see/read HPB you will see how much OoTP is needed. Remember, at the beginning of the book, nobody believes Harry/Dumbledore that Voldemort has returned, by the end, everybody is convinced. This is quite important in HBP.
    But I don't think everyone was NOT convinced at the end of Goblet of Fire? I mean, did all the stuff about nobody being convinced happen IN book 5 itself? Then yeah, as a plotline it was totally unnecessary.

I'd probably rank this one towards the bottom of the HP movies. That doesn't make it a bad movie per se since all of them were good. (Also, I thought the book of Ootp flat out sucked.) But my biggest gripe with the movie was that there was nothing NEW for us to see in this film that we hadn't seen in earlier Harry Potters, unless you want to point to that CGI Transformers-style crapfest that served as an ending.

My review from another board:

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    Granted, Book 5 IMHO was the absolute worst of the books. Long and boring; it was the first HP book that was a chore to get through. The ending, especially, felt forced and convoluted.

And that's basically how the movie was. It had good individual SCENES (Imelda Staunton completely stole the show here in every scene she was in) but the movie did not gel. Not at all. The chemistry of the Ron-Hermione-Harry friendship was not there at all. There was no sentiment to this picture. It was moviemaking (and scriptwriting) simply by the numbers. I'm surprised the producers didn't get Chris Columbus back if they wanted such rote directing.

The wonder of the world they are in has lost its wonder in this movie. And I'm not just talking about the fact that it was dark and depressing. The overarching story for book 5 is just.... dull and uninspired. It isn't really a set-up for anything in the same way that the 6th book was.

Spoiler

Oh and let's not forget the "Ed Wood" style things that happen. One minute they're in a room with Umbridge with lots of people. Next they are inexpliciably alone with Umbridge at night. Next scene they're on their way back from being with Umbridge and it's day again (and was it just me or did it look like they also changed clothes??). Flip-flip-flip. It was like scenes were missing -- and I'm not just talking about scenes from the book, which obviously they have to cut to make the movie into a watchable time period. I'm talking, connecting scenes that would have made the last half-hour of the movie watchable.

How did they know where to go in the Ministry of Magic? How'd they get in with NOBODY there? Again it was like flip-flip-flip connection scenes missing, let's just get right to it. It would be like watching Lord of the Rings and all the people are going from Rohan to Helms Deep in the daytime, and suddently it would cut to the orcs attacking at Helm's Deep at nighttime with nothing in between. It sure sucked all logical sense and the ability of one to follow what was going on. And I *knew* what was happening only because I read the books.

Was it just me or did the Voldemort/Dumbledore fight ACTUALLY have a light-saber noise happen when they were light-sabering???

Totally devolved into a Transformers-style ME SOCKEM DEATH EATER BOOM BOOM mindless CGI battle scene.

If they were going to mention the prophecy, then why didn't they mention a) it was by Trelawney and b) why the **** Voldemort needed it to begin with. I mean, if that WAS what V was going after, why did Harry care if it never explained why it was significant?

Oh and why'd they bother explaining about the Thestrals when everyone was going to ride them later in the film, even those that couldn't see them?

Anyway, my favorite of the movies was, oddly, book 4. It had an overarching story in and of itself, it was fun, and the relationships gelled. (My favorite of the books, however, was book 3).

Harry IS adorable though in Order of the Phoenix. All those sweaty Voldemort-dreams were funny... I turned to my friend and said, "wow they really DID up the adult-factor.... what's with all the masturbation scenes???"
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I would also like to add that, had I not read Book 5, I would have not understood this movie.

The crucial scenes where things needed to be explained weren't and I was disappointed. There must be some deleted scenes somewhere.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Quote Originally Posted by royaldisneyfan View Post

5/5 wands from me!
    Oh yeah... Umbridge really gives me nightmares... the scenes of her evil are horrific

Disney: true inspiration!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    We went and saw this tonight. I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite of the series. To me, it's the first Potter movie that couldn't stand alone without the others. I know some have said that not reading the books didn't affect their enjoyment of the film, but has anyone not read the books or seen any of the first four movies? I know that it's part of a much larger storyline, so I can appreciate how it sets up the final act of the series (Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows). Though, to me, nothing really happened or changed the plot of the series in the film. The book obviously has twists and turns, but other than
    Spoiler
    Sirius dying
    , one could watch Goblet of Fire and wait for Half Blood Prince to come out in a few years. It needed more of the twists of the book to make it a great movie. Though, all that aside, I still thought it was one of the best movies I've seen this year.
    I agree completely.

Every Potter movie left me with a memorable moment. The Basilisk, The grand scale of Hogwarts in the first movie, The quidditch match, pretty much ALL of the previous film...

With Goblet of Fire, I wasn't really wowed with anything, and nothing stands out as memorable. Still a good movie, but definitely not good enough to stand on its own.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast