BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Superman: Man of Steel' for 2009

Spacey set for 'Superman' sequel

Actor to play Major Banks in Moran's 'Telstar'

Spacey

By Anne Thompson
    Variety
    July 11, 2007

Kevin Spacey will return as Lex Luthor in "Superman: Man of Steel" and appear in "Telstar," Nick Moran's film version of Moran and James Hicks' 2005 darkly comic West End play about flamboyant '60s record mogul Joe Meek.

"Superman" director Bryan Singer met with Spacey in New York while the latter was appearing on Broadway in Eugene O'Neill's recently wrapped "Moon for the Misbegotten." Singer was about to pitch his "Man of Steel" sequel to Warner Bros.; "Superman Returns" scripter Michael Dougherty is now writing the screenplay.

After Singer completes "Valkyrie" and "The Mayor of Castro Street," he plans to start production on "Man of Steel" next year for a 2009 release.
    Spacey hopes to shoot his Luthor role in a six-week block, as he did on "Superman Returns," after he completes his run in David Mamet's "Speed the Plow" in April.

This week, Spacey joined the cast of "Telstar," which started filming Monday in London. Meek is the gay, tone deaf songwriter-producer who produced hits including "Have I the Right," "Just Like Eddie," "Johnny, Remember Me" and the instrumental "Telstar." Con O'Neill reprises his stage role as Meek; Spacey plays his financier, Major Banks.

"It's exciting to be part of my first British ensemble film," Spacey said.
    Spacey, who has eight years remaining on his 10-year contract as artistic director of London's Old Vic Theater, corrected recent Internet stories announcing his retirement from film acting in favor of the stage.

"My priorities have changed," he admitted on the phone from London. "Theater is the No. 1 thing in my life. But I love movies and will continue to make movies when I can."
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...n+kevin+spacey
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Shablagoo!

Re: 'Superman: Man of Steel' for 2009

Oh boy. Lex Luthor is the villian again. How Original. come on. Superman has a bigger rogue's gallery than that. Let's see Bizarro or Parasite. If this movie is anotherreal estate scheme with Kryptonite, I am so skipping it.

• DL Nerd

I'm a superman Addict, but this one should have a little more action.. I don't want to see Lex again.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Shablagoo!

If Lex Luthor presence is minimal and he is orchestrating things from the background, then it might be ok. I really wish that Singer would look at how Luthor was portrayed the the Animated series and well as Justice League. That's the Luthor I want, not the used car salesman they have used him as so far.

• Banned User

I agree that Lex has been featured a little too much in every Supe saga, but Spacey is such an amazing actor that I'd miss him were he not there. I think a background role with another villain (Bizarro Superman is my choice) taking center stage would be awesome. Now, that said, my ultimate Superman movie wet dream is: Superman vs Batman! Especially with the current casts. That. would. be. AWESOME!

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

i'd like to see darkside in a movie
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY