• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Supergirl cast for Smallville

From Zap2It News

'Smallville' Lands Its Supergirl

Canadian actress Laura Vandervoort will play the Kryptonian

July 12, 2007

Laura Vandervoort

Clark Kent's long-lost cousin has been found.

Canadian actress Laura Vandervoort has landed the plum role of Supergirl for the upcoming season of the CW's "Smallville," reports People.

"She's a combination of beauty, intelligence, a certain warmth, and great attitude," says the show's co-creator Al Gough. "We've wanted a character to shake things up. She may be Clark Kent's cousin, but that doesn't mean she's going to be the obedient one!"

In June, Gough had stated that adding Supergirl would give the series the "mythic jolt" it needs heading in to the seventh season. The season premiere will introduce Kara, Clark's (Tom Welling) 19-year-old cousin born on Krypton. As the daughter of Zor-El, Jor-El's brother, Kara also has superpowers, including one that Clark has yet to develop: the ability to fly. On the more mundane side, Kara butts heads with Clark, is sweet on Jimmy Olsen (Aaron Ashmore) and draws Lex's (Michael Rosenbaum) attention.

Vandervoort was chosen Wednesday, July 11, after the creators saw hundreds of actresses for the part. The 22-year-old, who begins shooting next week in Vancouver, is best known to fans of the cable series "Instant Star" as Sadie Harrison. She's also made guest appearances in "Goosebumps," "Are You Afraid of the Dark?," "Mutant X," "The Dresden Files" and "C.S.I."

Supergirl is the latest hero to join "Smallville." Other DC Comics characters who have made appearances include Green Arrow, Aquaman, The Flash, Martian Manhunter, Cyborg and Brainiac.

• Shablagoo!

Re: Supergirl cast for Smallville

She definitely fits the Micheal Turner version of the character. I'd probably cast younger and less sultry (though maybe that is the picture)

• Minion

The article is a lil incorrect. Clark has used his ability to fly, he just hasn't used it that much. Just like they don't have him wearing spandex with a big red S on it, they don't have him fly that much either. But he has flown in past episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by silverphoenix View Post
    The article is a lil incorrect. Clark has used his ability to fly, he just hasn't used it that much. Just like they don't have him wearing spandex with a big red S on it, they don't have him fly that much either. But he has flown in past episodes.
    Usually under the power of red kryptonite when he was not really himself. So he can and has flown he just doesn't seem to know he can yet, as he generally doesn't remember what happens when he goes red.

• DL Nerd

Clark has Super-jumped.....

Kal-El has flown.

(I really hate the distinction though, but in the Smallville universe... That's the rules I have to play by)

Although When Clark jumped and caught the rocket... that was dang near flying IMO
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    Usually under the power of red kryptonite when he was not really himself. So he can and has flown he just doesn't seem to know he can yet, as he generally doesn't remember what happens when he goes red.
    Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    Clark has Super-jumped.....

Kal-El has flown.

(I really hate the distinction though, but in the Smallville universe... That's the rules I have to play by)

Although When Clark jumped and caught the rocket... that was dang near flying IMO
    Uhm, I do believe he was flying when he was fighting Zod when he took over Lex's body. And that was this past season. Cause they were both going through the air.

• This space for rent

Uhm, I do believe he was flying when he was fighting Zod when he took over Lex's body. And that was this past season. Cause they were both going through the air.
    Clark wasn't flying on his own power, Zod/Lex grabbed him and Clark was just along for the ride. Clark tussled with him then they crashed, and slid through the forrest, when they came to a stop you see Zod/Lex still gripping his jacket then he releases it, he then whoops up on Clark and throws him eventually into the field.

• DL Nerd

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2VXmTMmmFU[/YOUTUBE]

a super-tackle if you will.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Minion

Then I guess I "sit" corrected.

I'm sorry but...am I the only one that thinks that this show needs to end? They've twisted the Superman story so much just to keep the show going...In my opinion it just needs to end....

My best score ever!

• no flash photography...

I don't watch it faithfully, but I like it. Maybe because I don't know the superman story. I didn't even know what it was about when I first saw the show..