• The Great Tiki

Blog Entries

If you were in doubt about another Pirates Movie

Pirates 3 has quietly already become the 5 highest grossing movie of all time Worldwide

1TitanicPar.$1,845.0$600.832.6%$1,244.267.4%19972The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the KingNL$1,118.9$377.033.7%$741.966.3%20033Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's ChestBV$1,066.2$423.339.7%$642.960.3%20064Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's StoneWB$976.5$317.632.5%$658.967.5%20015Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's EndBV$927.8$302.832.6%$624.967.4%2007

• Minion

Re: If you were in doubt about another Pirates Movie

I will never understand how Titanic made so much money. It will always be a great mystery because it wasn't even marketed to kids, there were no action figures, no video games, kids would be bored anyway.

Plus, I am not being sarcastic.

Back on topic, Disney now knows that the world will still go for Pirates, and I am up for another Pirates film myself. The question is when. Will Disney wait and let people start craving another POTC, or will they fast track a sequel for Summer 2009 (or earlier if possible)? I want them to put in the time to make it extremely good.

• Circle of Ancients

^ I kind of agree with you. We were all so caught up in "Titanic" hype but looking back on the movie now ... not such a good movie.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pirates 3 beats both HP and Pirates 2. Catching LOTR or Titanic is out of the question though.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    I will never understand how Titanic made so much money. It will always be a great mystery because it wasn't even marketed to kids, there were no action figures, no video games, kids would be bored anyway.
    That film succeeded the old fashioned way, on full price tickets (no childrens prices) and no merchandising. A worldwide phenomenon is a hard thing to explain, especially when you already know the ship sinks. It's opening date was delayed a couple of times and it looked like big trouble ahead. But I was at the very first showing of edited footage at ShoWest for it, as the 10 minutes of film ran you could feel the connection in the massive ballroom at Bally's, it was gonna work. But James Cameron, Leonardo DiCaprio, Paramount & 20th Century Fox should have written a huge thank you note to Japan.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Happy Memories

Back on topic, Disney now knows that the world will still go for Pirates, and I am up for another Pirates film myself. The question is when. Will Disney wait and let people start craving another POTC, or will they fast track a sequel for Summer 2009 (or earlier if possible)? I want them to put in the time to make it extremely good.
    You mean like they DIDN'T do for the 2nd and 3rd films? I'd be fine with more Pirates films IF they just go back to making fun, stand-alone pirate adventure films. None of this forcefully trying to connect them into one story that's just a big mess and forgets about continuity in the long run.

•   

Personally, I really think it was mostly the subject matter more than anything else. The sinking of the Titanic and the unnecessary massive loss of life has fascinated people around the world for decades. There have been countless books and documentaries and many people wonder what it would be like to have been there.

The folks on the titanic had a couple hours to realize, and then deal with, the fact that they were going to their deaths and I think that causes people to wonder what they would do in the same situation. Today we're so used to cameras being everywhere and every moment videotaped. This was a happening with only eyewitnesses, and few at that. The film ultimately provided a kind of voyeurism on tragedy.

And of course, for its time, the kind of special effects and CGI we find commonplace today was pretty new. It was truly a spectacle.

That all being said, the numbers are still pretty astounding, even for that.

• Golden State of Mind

i am all for a fourth pirate film
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• my two sunshines

June 20, 2007 - With Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End doing good business at the box office, it's no surprise to hear rumors about a potential Pirates 4. Series producer Jerry Bruckheimer has said the series could continue if the filmmakers can come up with a good story. Now there are rumblings online about what some of the plot ideas being kicked around are.

According to a scooper for CinemaBlend.com, Johnny Depp is all but set to reprise his role as Captain Jack Sparrow (for a $35-40 million payday, they claim). Also reportedly expected to return are co-star Geoffrey Rush and director Gore Verbinski, although the latter has made it clear to some that he's done with swashbuckling. Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom are not expected to be back, but that's been assumed for sometime. The site adds that production might not begin until sometime between 2009-2011.

CinemaBlend's scooper claims "the fountain of youth story [introduced at the end of Pirates 3] might not be the only story they might use the next pirate's film. The fountain story could be used in another form to introduce the story for Pirates 4."

They add that, "Some of the brainstorming going around involves some Jules Verne type of scenarios involving some pretty big flying machines, a man who wants to rule more than just the ocean, an encounter with the most famous and dangerous pirate of all, a race to get to a lost world (Hint, Hint) and Jack and his crew going to where no pirate has gone before (No, it's not space but Disney had made animated movie about this place before with Michel J Fox voicing one of the characters)."

Jack Sparrow discovers Atlantis?! Time will tell.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I will never understand how Titanic made so much money.
    Two words: Chick Flick. If you wanted to make your date happy, you had to bring her to Titanic, even if you had to do it over and over again. And like ALIASd said, the folks in Japan were just crazy about that movie.

Money talks. I'm sure we will see a fourth Pirate movie in the future. I'll be line for the first showing.

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I have actually never seen Titantic.