Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Donald Duck was a Nazi.

Here is an old banned Danald Duck toon from WW2.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7dd_1184483107

Feel free to discuss.
    Last edited by cromag; 07-16-2007 at 06:39 PM.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Re: Donald Duck was a Nazi.

Personally, I think it is VERY obvious that this is in fact intended to be an anti-Nazi propaganda cartoon.

Oh, by the way, the link takes you to the Muppets covering "**** the Police"....in case you didn't know.

• Shablagoo!

Yes, he was a Nazi. Then he woke up from his nightmare and found himself in the Good Old USA! So really he was not a Nazi, and he would never be a Nazi. It was all just a bad dream.

Der Fuhrer's Face is one of my favorite Donald Duck cartoons. I watch the whole work sequence and think how similar it is to my last longterm job. I'm glad I don't work there anymore.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    Yes, he was a Nazi. Then he woke up from his nightmare and found himself in the Good Old USA!
    Remind anyone of the feelies from Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"? For those who don't understand why I say that, the "feelies" were a form of entertainment that would brainwash the citizens to the Governments liking.
    Last edited by DarthDucky; 07-15-2007 at 05:50 PM.

• Minion

Walt Disney's "Der Fuhrer's Face" was an Oscar winning cartoon, I might add. It's on the "On the Front Lines" Walt Disney Treasures DVD set if you want to see it and become more informed. An enormously popular film, the theme song ("We heil, heil right in der fuhrer's face..."), as recorded by Spike Jones, became a national hit (still easily available on Spike Jones CDs).

Donald realizes how lucky we are not to live in "Nutzi-Land" where citizens have no freedom and awakens from his nightmare to the relief that he is 100% red, white and blue.

Context is everything.

• Shablagoo!

its also on Volume 2 of the Chronological Donald.

• back in Austin

Yeah, no need to restate the obvious, as this is one of many very clear and non-mysterious wartime cartoons. And as Melonballer has mentioned, there's nothing "banned" about it. I watched it on DVD via Netflix not long ago.

• Banned User

A lot of the online copies of Der Fuehrer's Face on YouTube also claim that it's a "banned cartoon," and it never was. Why would it be? In 1943, when it was released, it was considered a part of the war effort. After the war, it wasn't widely released, sure, but that's because there was no real need to release war propaganda films.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p5tMTLq_lv4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p5tMTLq_lv4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/youtube]

• She was sweet as a peach

Very interesting! I don't think I have ever seen this cartoon before!

• Coming soon...

Wow..I've never seen that ever before!

The cartoon was never banned, and it was intended to be an anti-Nazi piece. Is this how you judge things, by small bits, instead of looking at the whole?

Just what is your purpose in posting this? Did you think you had some glorious revelation about the evils of Donald Duck?

Honestly, I just don't understand people sometimes.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

We already knew Donald was evil.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Well, quick question: Is the cartoon banned in GERMANY?

Well, according to Wikipedia (and we all know how accurate THAT is!), Der Furhur's Face was not so much banned by anyone as it was held to limited distribution by Disney themselves. That's a whole different thing than being banned. I am betting that they would not have released it to Germany... and now, with the advent of Youtube and the like, it is unlikely much of anything like this gets banned anymore.

This is certainly not the most controversial film Disney ever made regarding WWII enemies. In Commando Duck, Donald fight's Japanese, who are portrayed in extremely stereotyped ways. And Disney also produced "Education for Death," which was extremely graphic in its portrayal of German children being education as the strong overcoming the weak, with goosestepping Nazi children depicted in blood read vignettes. It tops the list as one of the most graphic wartime propaganda pieces ever made.

Disney self-polices these pieces that, to modern audiences, could really be considered offensive to former enemies today.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainTeach View Post
    This is certainly not the most controversial film Disney ever made regarding WWII enemies. In Commando Duck, Donald fight's Japanese, who are portrayed in extremely stereotyped ways.
    [youtube]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nGzyszUW5Gk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nGzyszUW5Gk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast