• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Anaheim City Council to consider referendum date - OC Register, 7/17/07

http://www.ocregister.com/news/disne...naheim-council

Anaheim Community leaders from union members to business owners tonight plan to pressure the City Council on its handling of a proposed ballot referendum against homes near Disney property.

A Disney-led coalition collected enough signatures to place a referendum on the ballot that would overturn the council's 3-2 approval of residential zoning on a plot in the Anaheim Resort tourist area.

Now, the council must take action on it: cancel its previous action, set an election date or postpone the vote.

It's unclear which way the vote will go.
    More at the link....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Anaheim City Council to consider referendum date - OC Register, 7/17/07

I both phoned the coucil secretary (leaving messages for members), and e-mailed the members. I asked the three that had approved the rezoning ordinance to rescind their previous action. They voted 3-2 against repealing. One can tell that they realize that the 3,400 member SOAR coalition is a harbinger to the fact that they don't stand a chance of defeating the reterendum at the poles.

They three are apparently desperately attempting to buy time in order to devise some sort of plan to deny voters from voting. Seems to me that the only way to avert voters at this point is to create a compromise that SOAR and Disney would go for. Not only is this NOT going to happen, the loose canons should be quite concerned over being voted out of office as their respective terms come up for re-election.

To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

Disney and the developer (SunCal?) have started negotiations. Just started as in nothing is near decision, but the plan to come to an agreement so the council can reverse the decision without any problems is in the early stages of development. Which is why the decision was tabled to give them more time to come to an outside settlement was what I had heard.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeek View Post
    Disney and the developer (SunCal?) have started negotiations. Just started as in nothing is near decision, but the plan to come to an agreement so the council can reverse the decision without any problems is in the early stages of development. Which is why the decision was tabled to give them more time to come to an outside settlement was what I had heard.
    What I've heard from SOAR is that this is an untrue rumor. Disney is not going to make any concessions to SunCal in the wake of it's hardcore tactics. That would be giving the developer it's way in part. Disney doesn't have to compromise - and definitely will not do so. That would let the petition signers down. too.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-21-2007 at 01:46 AM.

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    What I've heard from SOAR is that this is an untrue rumor. Disney is not going to make any concessions to SunCal in the wake of it's hardcore tactics. That would be giving the developer it's way in part. Sisney doesn't have to compromise - and definitely will not do so. That would let the petition signers down. too.
    And still what I'm hearing from Disney is that they are seeking a compromise. It's odd to think they are doing it, but if Suncal wins the amount that Disney and the City will continue to owe on the bond debt will increase dramatically without more hotels and the third gate as an option. Perhaps paying off the bond is more expensive than paying off Suncal.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeek View Post
    And still what I'm hearing from Disney is that they are seeking a compromise. It's odd to think they are doing it, but if Suncal wins the amount that Disney and the City will continue to owe on the bond debt will increase dramatically without more hotels and the third gate as an option. Perhaps paying off the bond is more expensive than paying off Suncal.
    If Disney wants to pay off SunCal, that's fine with me. As long as Disney doesn't allow developers to pin the company in and impede it's ability to expand. According to Al's current article, Glendale is finally ready to place more financial interest in the Disneyland Resort (especially DCA, to the tune of a billion dollars).

DCA is going to become as dynamically/thematically impressive as EPCOT or DisneySea. To add to the exciteement, we still have a third park to look forard to! If necessary, Al has stated that Disney may even spill the beans on their exciting plans soon.

ScumCal can kiss my bass.